This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHM Hints and Tips

Making a sticky thread on WHM hints. Please keep it useful.
    RDM 75, BLM 73, WHM 42, SMN 41, RNG 40, NIN 37, DRK 37, THF 25, WAR 20

Do not heal your paladin to full hp. Almost always try to keep his/her hp 100 below his/her hp cap.

You get to be a real pain and possibly never invited by that paladin again if you won't let them use their only way of generating hate.

Comment

Utilise Regen to its full effect, as it is one of the most MP efficient methods of healing available.

Order of importance for -na spells (with respect to XP parties):
      Stona > Viruna > Cursna

Even though you get Flash somewhere in the 40's, do not start to employ its full capacity until you have full AF, as you need the Enmity- to be able to use it efficiently. Also never Flash at the start of the fight, let the tank gain hate first. When you do start using Flash, be aware of the following situations which will require Flash to be cast:
      1) When a NIN tank's Utsusemi goes down and his recast is interrupted,
      2) When a RNG uses a high-powered weaponskill and gains hate,
      3) When a BLM uses a high-powered nuke for a Magic Burst and gains hate.
      4) When you use Benediction and gain hate (see below)

Don't overcure. Know how much your Cure spells can heal and use the appropriate one when necessary. eg Your tank is 70HP below his max HP, do not heal with Cure II (90HP) as it is a waste of MP. Also PLDs need to be able to Cure themselves to gain hate.

2 Hour: Benediction. An incredibly powerful ability, this will heal your party to full health. However, in doing so you will gain incredible amounts of hate. There are ways to survive this, however. If MP and time permits, cast Stoneskin and Blink on yourself prior to using Benediction - this will give your tank more time to try and pull the monster off of you. Cast Flash if things look really bad. But above all else, never run away unless your party is located literally 10-15 seconds from a zone point. If you run, your party has no chance to get the monster off you, and you are guaranteed a swift death.

Decline Raise requests politely if it will put you out of your way. Yes, you are a WHM but we are not slaves to the mass dead. Be polite, and if the person persists and decides to be a jerk, ignore them.

Use MND+ Wands and MP+ equipment in parties until Lv51, when you should switch to Light Staff when healing and Dark Staff when sitting. Use mauls or hammers and a shield when soloing.

Comment

If you want to invest in a craft skill, cooking is a good one to start with. You will be able to make yourself Juices that will give you a refresh rate depending on what type it is. Also early on are some easy +mnd foods.

Comment

hi
          i hope this is useful
          --
          1. Directly before the fight cast Protectra, if it has wore off.

2. Cast Dia on the Monster if there is no Red Mage

3. Serve as the primary healer, healing whenever necessary

4. If ever the enemy doe a good area of effect spell, use a Curaga.

5. The fight having been completed Raise any fallen comrades
          Many races..
          Many jobs..
          Many Worlds..

One Way !

TARU OWNZ !!

Comment

My only rule.

Adjust accordingly

I have broken every rule other people posted, because the more team work involved the more you find things can be "tweaked".

Raise after battle? Not me, I raise them right in battle jf possible. Why? half is because if it's a static member, they will fall behind (death + monster xp after kill + chain xp) The other half is they can either help or speed up weaken time.

Never heal paladin to full? No! It should be more along the lines of Manage your mp right. If the pal has full hp, he can alway cure a companion, and not using cures means more flashes which is good. etc etc etc.

And I stopped using regens at around level 70 or so completely, not worth the cast time, when a c3,5 sit gives more mp and better hp.

In fact I stopped using regen for my nin tanks after a while, but they're mostly good, again not worth mp sitting.

Now that I think about it.. Cure5 is a whm's best friend.

Comment

How can you pass up on the greatness that is regen 3? I rank it up there with cure V. :sweat:

Biggest tip I can suggest is learn to big cure, rest, big cure, rest method of exping. Standing the whole fight is only going to get you with loads of downtime where as if you learn to get a couple ticks of resting in after every time you cap off the tanks hp you can reach no downtime with a proper refresher. I'm still shocked and disappointed in the whms I party with 50+ who think they need to stand the entire fight and spam cure 1 for a lack anything better to do with that time.

As for raising during combat, I never do that. If someone died it means something has gone wrong, is going wrong, or will go wrong and I want that 150+ mp handy to lessen the likely hood of anyone else dying.

And as a closing tip...don't melee. :dead:
              Whm 75 Blm 37 Brd 75 | Bastok Rank 10 | Whm > Rdm

Comment

Conserve MP by using ur best judgement on what spells is worth using in certain situations.

Know the mob ur fighting and if it does something for example, silence, be ready to take it off your nin or pld as soon as they are silenced.

Comment

1: When fighting Tigers in Exp PT, be sure to bar paralyse and bar ice, since Tigers Roar attack is ice based, it will significantly reduce the chance of ANY of your pt members bieng paralysed. If you have enhancing Torque and lots of MND equip on, this effect is enhanced even further.

2: Yes Reraise costs a lot of mp to cast but its there for a reason. 99/100 times reraise wont be used at all in a pt, but that 1/100 time where someone in your party aggroes several mobs by mistake and you arent able to teleport out in time, Reraise can save a lot of time by not waiting for a whm to come along and raise you and your party. Also sometimes if you gain too much hate from curing and you get killed leaving your Party in a tight situation, you can RR in the middle of the fight and start curing again just enough to save the day.

3: *ALWAYS* haste the Ninja FIRST. Ninjas are already godly enough to spare you from constantly curing them making for downtime. Because ninjas rarely need curing, you can spend that extra MP giving haste to your other melee party members so they can kill the enemey even faster.

4: If your stuck between the choice of getting a Dark Staff OR a lightstaff due to a limited amount of gil on hand, id personally recommend getting the Dark Staff. You might be wondering why pass up the oppurtunity to cure an extra 10%, the dark staff gives you more mp back per tick (trust me it makes a huge difference), the 10% increase in cure potency is nice but it doesnt do much until you start casting the bigger cures like cure III and upwards, but most whms cast Cure II and sometimes cure III in emergencies. Get a Dark staff to reduce downtime first, get lightstaff as soon as you have enough money.

Windurst Rank 10
                  Sandoria Rank 10
                  Bastok Rank 10
                  Zilart= Complete
                  CoP= Complete
                  ToAU: M44

Comment

How can you pass up on the greatness that is regen 3? I rank it up there with cure V.
                    Dark staff + food + errant = I don't have 7 seconds to cast the spell.

even without errant since it's level 73, you have seers now.

Like I said adjust accordingly

Comment

Here's how I usually start a battle.

1) Enffeble Monster, usually the Paladin will get to yellow HP, but he'll start curing himself, and if he doesn't use MP, I tell him to use Cure III to gain hate, and if he refuses, I kick him.

2) Cast Regen on main tank and back up tank.

3) Cure bitch until monster is at about 5% HP. At about this time regen can heal the tanks, then I rest when mobs at 5%.

4) Rinse..Repeat...Level ^^b
                      Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
                      90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

1) Enffeble Monster, usually the Paladin will get to yellow HP, but he'll start curing himself, and if he doesn't use MP, I tell him to use Cure III to gain hate, and if he refuses, I kick him.
                        You do realize that paladin can't heal themselves in the combat with any regularity. They would get inturrupted time to time except when defensive skills kick in.

You would most likely either kill the pal or lower the effectiveness of pt a lot based on that. The pal would need to constantly waste time trying to cure, and thus not hitting the monster not doing ja and losing hate.

The most common tactic would be that when the pal gets the chance with timers they do flash follow by highest cure.

besides that time, it's better for you to cure

You have a lot to learn young whm.

Comment

Originally posted by Rones
                          I'm still shocked and disappointed in the whms I party with 50+ who think they need to stand the entire fight and spam cure 1 for a lack anything better to do with that time.
                          Sitting a lot means you can't take negative status off as quickly, or getting the Cure V in quick enough if a freak incident takes your tank's hp down to 20%.

Comment

Sitting a lot means you can't take negative status off as quickly, or getting the Cure V in quick enough if a freak incident takes your tank's hp down to 20%.
                            99.9% of the time status effects aren't going to hurt much if they have to wait an extra second while you stand up. It doesn't even delay me any because I'm busy targeting the person who will need the status fix while my character is standing up, so really no loss there. Also, if you are having less than a seconds reaction time to spare to get your cures off without the tank dying, your party is doing something seriously wrong. I find the job to be very slow and calm enough that I can watch tv while exping. You want to try a game that actually requires that kind of speed, go try out counter strike because that speed isn't needed in ffxi. If you are even half paying attention you can cure your pld in time even if you were resting.

As well, look at the other extreme. You stand the whole fight and have to spend 45+ sec resting between every single fight to regain the mp you missed out on. That's a great way to never make it past chain 2 (unless you're a taru/smn and then you can go to chain 3 without resting :spin: ). If I'm not casting anything I'm resting, always. It can be done quite easily, I've done it for 72 lvls already and never had a problem with curing in time.

even without errant since it's level 73, you have seers now.
                            Errant is 72. Seers is a joke for higher lvls, +1mpH woohoo. I prefer the -enimity, +mp, and +enfeebling from af anyway. Maybe if it was +2 or 3, but +1 is pretty insignifigant at upper lvls unless you are having some serious mp problems (and who does 51+?).
                            Whm 75 Blm 37 Brd 75 | Bastok Rank 10 | Whm > Rdm

Comment

lol

im not a whm... but ive main healed pt's as a RDM.... i just :

1.Regen Tank.
                              2.Use The Bigger Cures More
                              3.I Have All My Enfeebles In 2 Macros...SO I Have A /wait 9-15 so that i can cure in between them...

- The End lol ( Cant add in my Refresh / Convert comments)
                              Goals-
                              75RDM (51) 35DRG (9)
                              40BLM (26) 37NIN+ (14)
                              42WHM (16) 18WAR (9)
                              60RNG+(12) 45THF+ (16)
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              Gnk 1 - (X)
                              Gnk 2 - ( )
                              Gnk 3 - ( )
                              Gnk 4 - ( )
                              Gnk 5 - ( )

My Stuff.. (May 24)