Some questions about WAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about WAR

Anyways, I started leveling WAR today, because I am going to be a DRK when I get to level 30 on my RDM (Currently level 22 almost 23.) Sense that I am going to be using Scythes and Great Swords as a DRK. I have been leveling my WAR with those 2 weapons and nothing else. (my WAR is currently at level 7.) My question to you all is, is using a Scythe or Great Sword as a WAR a bad idea? I might solo WAR all the way to level 37 anyway, but I don't really know yet. I don't see a problem with using those two weapons, everyone is telling me to use Axes and Great Axes. But I don't see the point sense I am not going to use them as a DRK. (even though I could.) So I am just wandering what to do here. I also really love using Scythes and Great Swords better then The Great Axe. (I also like using magic) This is why I want to be a DRK.

Also, if this is in the wrong section please move it to the right forum, thank you!
    Name: Bluecat
    Main Jobs:
    SMN14, DRG8, RDM30
    Sub Jobs: BLM13,WHM7,NIN7,SAM2,DRK4
    Linkshell(s): (Owner) RainbowOverHolla

Re: Some questions about WAR

They are fine to use till 37 if that is where you are going to stop war there. The skill levels are so close its not a huge issue. You will however be in the hole if you pick it back up later.
    [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Sevv kind of already said everything.. but either way, good luck on soloing to 37 on Warrior, seems like a hard thing to do. >.< You should check out LadyKiki's soloing guides maybe.
      http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

When I lvled Drk all the way through Qufim I used a Gaxe. Because to be perfectly blunt, Gswords and especially Scythes SUCK compared to Gaxe.

But then again I also had the advantage of lvl my Scythe and Gsword solo on war before working on drk. But Gaxes are a real sexy weapon in the lower lvls, even for Drk.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Besides, once you take up DRK you'll have no problem with keeping at least one of the weapons capped as you go ... and I understand that if you work at it, you can keep both capped. Besides, it's not too difficult to bring a weapon up to reasonable skill levels with a bit of effort (and you can usually combine it with a certain amount of farming).

As for using GA, I love that weapon on WAR ... Shield Break may not do a whole lot of damage, but helping your whole PT hit better counts for a lot!

Comment

Ya Gaxe actually out damage scythe or gs for a drk until 55-60 i think lol. xD sad isn't it. I took drk 30-40 with drk/nin and swords due to merits were much higher a skill then any weapon i had use to, soul eater fast blade for about 40%+ of a mobs hp was sexy lol.
            [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

If you're going to solo WAR that whole way, it doesn't matter.

If you're going to join a party, it's better for everyone if you've got Great Axe skilled up and available. The damage output is better than Scythe or Greatsword, and you get Shield Break. Shield Break doesn't matter so much when you're soloing, since you shouldn't have accuracy issues on anything you solo anyway. But it makes a huge difference in a party, where you're fighting T-IT. Huge. Huuuuuge.

In general, pre-skilling weapons for one job as you level another isn't the fantastic idea it seems to be. As long as you're partying, you're going to be fighting mobs that will cap out whatever weapon you're using anyway. Pre-skilling only helps for the solo levels, and maybe a couple of party levels as you catch up from fighting less-than-EM up to that point.
              Ellipses on Fenrir
              There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
              . . .

Comment

What everyone else says. Even for DRK, Great Axe's performance is just too good to ignore. To be honest, even a DRK will do better with a GA at the lower levels than he could do with a Scythe or Great Sword, despite the differences in skill level. When I levled DRK sub for my RDM, I used GA exclusively. I easily outdid similarly equipped DRKs at my level with Scythes and Great Swords. I'd honestly even prefer to take it for soloing too once Sturmwind comes along.

GA usefulness ends once Great Sword's and Scythe's more damaging Weapon skills come along. But it takes so long for that to happen that GA has plenty of time to dominate. Plus knocking off 40 evasion is extremely useful.

Like it was said before, if you're soloing it doesn't matter what you're using. But for party play it'd just be impossible for me to ignore Great Axe
                My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                Originally posted by Balfree
                Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

OK First off when it comes to GA acc, it sucks, and it is really really slow..But when you do finally get a hit you do a lot of damage. Why not use a Scythe or GS? They are faster, and by the time the GA hits you have done the same amount of damage or maybe even more.
                  Name: Bluecat
                  Main Jobs:
                  SMN14, DRG8, RDM30
                  Sub Jobs: BLM13,WHM7,NIN7,SAM2,DRK4
                  Linkshell(s): (Owner) RainbowOverHolla

Comment

Accuracy is not determined by weapon type, except that different jobs have different skill caps with each weapon. For a Warrior, Greataxe has the highest skill cap of any weapon, so the accuracy of a Greataxe is not going to be worse than any other weapon, barring ACC/DEX buffs on a particular weapon from another category.

Slow vs. fast does not matter in the long run. 90% of 10 hits at 50 damage each is the same as 90% of 100 hits at 5 damage each. When you're talking straight-up damage, accuracy and DPS are all that matter. Greataxe has (slightly, at lower levels) higher accuracy for a Warrior than Greataxe or Scythe because of skill caps.

DPS may be roughly comparable at first, but then there's Neckchopper at level 20. Only one Greatsword beats its DPS, and the ACC+ outshines that. And there's also Shield Break. Evasion -40 when it hits. That's enormous. Neither Greatsword nor Scythe can match what that does for the whole party, even if there's one available with slightly higher DPS.
                    Ellipses on Fenrir
                    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                    . . .

Comment

What Ellipses says is true. Even if you are worried about delay, once you start getting higher, you'll notice that some of your scythes actually have more delay than some great axes of the same level, while most Great Swords have less base damage than both Scythes and Great Axes. So all 3 weapons have their differences, and in the end the only thing that matters is DPS and utility. Great Axe is more useful at low levels. Great Axe has more acc and attack for a warrior than the other two simply based on skill levels alone. If you noticed otherwise it was simply placebo because you don't like Great Axe. Great Axe has a higher damaging weapon skill at low levels, which enables you to take down mobs faster. Pre-update, I could easily land 150-180 dmg Sturmwinds on DRK with only Berserk up. I'm sure it's more than that now. If you had Sneak Attack well then that mob is going to drop pretty damned fast. Go and use Slice and Nightmare Scythe and see how it matches up to a good Sturmwind. It won't. Ever.

You don't have to use a Great Axe if you don't want to. We certainly can't make you do so. You're free to play as you choose. But if you're asking us what's best to use as a warrior at low levels, then it's Great Axe. All proof points to Great Axe. Get a parser and test it. It'll be Great Axe. Every time. That's all there is to it.
                      My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                      Originally posted by Balfree
                      Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Use Great Axe. Trust me, you'll skill up just fine on the other two when you actually get to playing DRK. Actually, Great Axe is so damned good for the 1st 40 levels that you may end up using it over Scythe despite the lower skill ratings (Shield Break, Sturmwind and Armor Break are that good)

Also, I swear @37 the Horror Voulge has a hidden Double Attack up trait I don't give two shits what anyone says I always DA'd like a fiend with that thing on.

If you're going to carry one of the two (SCY or GSD) I'd recommend GSD since it has better WS and WAR has a higer skill with it I think over Scythe. Could be wrong on that one (either way Scythe WS suck horribly pre-60)
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by nanatsu View Post
                          If you noticed otherwise it was simply placebo because you don't like Great Axe.
                          Now hold on a minute; you may well be forgetting that since she's been using GS and Scythe mainly, her GAxe skill has no doubt languished. In order to change to GAxe, she'll need to spend a bit of time skilling it up on lower mobs. That said, I agree that it's worth the effort to at least give it a fairer try. -- Pteryx

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                            If you're going to carry one of the two (SCY or GSD) I'd recommend GSD since it has better WS and WAR has a higer skill with it I think over Scythe.
                            Which is kinda like saying "If you're going to be a cancer, be in a breast, instead of in a brain". Nobody wants a cancer, regardless of what form it takes.

Comment

Ya so...

I'm to the point that I won't invite Warriors who don't use Axe or Greataxe anymore. Just tells me you haven't looked into understanding how the game works. (Not that this is always true, but it's true enough that I've reduced a lot of headaches)

If you're level 7, it'll take about 20 minutes on EP mobs to get it skilled up to the point to start really moving forward.

The slightly higher skill cap for Great axe won't affect accuracy much, but the 20% higher hit rate from Shield Break will be more than noticeable.

Of the dedicated DD jobs, DRKs have the worst weapon skills for the first half of the game (if using their A rank weapons). When it takes Souleater just to put Slice on a level with Tachi: Enpi...

------------

Warriors have same rating with GS and Scythe. May change after level 60, but they're both Bsomething. So no difference 'til 61.
                              "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Working...
                              X