How is Warrior these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Warrior these days?

I'm new to this game and obviously im about 6 years late. I've played too many other games in the mean time and WoW is NOT one of them. I have played guildwars but it seems it doesnt come near to the specialization of this game.

So, I wanted to ask before I got to far. Is warrior an alright class? Has the game changed any in the last year that a different class is more perferable. I have several friends that just started playing and I just want to help the team when we are on. We are also friends with a current guild so we have help when needed. I'm bored at work and decided to ask here to get a general consensus. Thanks

Asmodai

Re: How is Warrior these days?

Warrior is a good job if you want to do damage and like axes/two-handed axes. However, don't expect to be the tank of the party past the 30's - PLD and NIN will always be invited over WAR for that purpose.

Although the game has changed much in the last year, the balance of power between DD jobs is pretty good, so just pick whichever job you like.

Comment

Warrior - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

In today's age of Vana'diel, Warrior is 3rd in line with tanking jobs, behind Ninja and Paladin. Warrior is mainly used as a sub job for these other two tanking jobs, and if Warrior is above sub job level then it more often gets places in the Damage Dealer role. The most recent addition to Warrior was a new ability called Retaliation. This may put Warrior back into the tanking role post level 60, but it is very new and people are still examining its effectiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Howler View Post
          This may put Warrior back into the tanking role post level 60, but it is very new and people are still examining its effectiveness.
          It won't. It doesn't mitigate damage at all, just basically has a chance of giving you a free hit on the mob.
          sigpic

Comment

Warriors can--and do--tank (to some extend) in merit parties, but that's a pretty long ways off from just starting off. It's also used as a tank in some special fights; one of my LS's CoP groups used a WAR to tank the pot x4 fight--that was a success.

In any case, a good player on WAR alwasy should be prepared to be an off-tank--ready to take over if the main tank gets in trouble. Or, be a co-tank, sharing the duty. Or, be the main tank.

It's still a bit early, but if you play WAR, and like it, you should also plan for several support jobs:

/MNK (Monk)
            /NIN (Ninja)
            /SAM (Samurai)
            /DNC (Dancer)
            /THF (Thief)

Monk as a support job has fairly short lifespan for WAR; it's not that useful unless a WAR is tanking, and most WARs don't tank much after Lv.30. Dancer is fairly specialized, most useful in party lacking curing power, while Thief support job is for helping out the main tanks.

Ninja (and increasing, Samurai, for two-handed axe users) are the main support jobs used by Warriors, but they don't offer too much at lower levels.

In any case, you'd need to reach Lv.30 before you can unlock extra jobs like Ninja, Samurai, or Dancer--the first support job to worry over is Monk, which is already unlocked from the start.
            Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 04-07-2008, 11:25 PM.
            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
              It won't. It doesn't mitigate damage at all, just basically has a chance of giving you a free hit on the mob.
              And I really don't understand why they've done that. Wasn't WAR already fine enough with damage on its own? Were they thinking it was a means of generating more hate for tanking purposes? If so it seems like a movement in the wrong direction and I can't understand SE's train of thought at all in this.
              My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
              Originally posted by Balfree
              Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

You're evidently inclined towards melee-style classes. That said, you WILL need to take WAR to level 37 anyway as it's a vital subjob for other damage-dealing jobs. For now, simply make that your goal.

Consider doing something like

- Monk to 18
                - Unlock Subjob
                - Warrior to 37
                (- at some point during this take THF up to 15, for general farming purposes and as an extra option for WAR30+)

I can guarantee you that after you hit WAR37, you yourself will have a much greater understanding of the game and its jobs.
                Oh, Warp. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Comment

Deeke speaks truths. That path is one many many many of us wish we had known to take on our 1st time through.

To expand on the subbing Thief bit -- /thf is completely useless until 30. But after that, it's great fun to get yourself killed with (nutty-good damage). All the same, for those 7 levels (30-37), just using /mnk is all-around good.

On Retaliation

If you decide on Warrior -- don't listen to your instincts. Shield Break is better.
                  "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

THF15 is just... it's just good. You'll NEVER regret having it at your disposal, even if you never ever sub the job in combat. The Treasure Hunter trait makes a huge difference to your item-farming capabilities.

Don't take THF to the Dunes. Just slowly slowly chip away at it on nights when you just want to kick back. Take it to Sarutabaruta or somewhere and slay Easy Prey after Easy Prey at your own pace and leisure. You'll make some gil on crystals, you'll farm up a whole heap of Beastmen's Seals. Tis a Good Thing.

And about Shield Break. It's a fantastic weaponskill, no two ways about it. Possibly the best one out there at those levels. Some WAR's say Shield Break only. Others say Sturmwind only (war24ish+). Myself, I valued having both at my fingertips and tended to use each as I saw fit. Between those two weaponskills, WAR really shines as a TP-user in the first half of the game.
                    Oh, Warp. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Comment

Originally posted by nanatsu View Post
                      I can't understand SE's train of thought at all in this.
                      You and I both. And it very much is the point because you may as well throw a MNK with counterstance up at the mob instead. We have C- evasion and lack the defensive abilities of a PLD which basically leaves us screwed in a long fight. Hell, even in "tanking" gear I can still get my ass handed to me as WAR/NIN by an EP Colibri if I don't watch it, where as my 75 SAM will run right over the buggers thanks to the B+ evasion and helpful WS (Yuki and Kasha are life savers along with Seigan)

What SE needs to do is make wearing the really heavy armors that only WAR and PLD can matter.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nanatsu View Post
                        And I really don't understand why they've done that. Wasn't WAR already fine enough with damage on its own? Were they thinking it was a means of generating more hate for tanking purposes? If so it seems like a movement in the wrong direction and I can't understand SE's train of thought at all in this.
                        It wasn't a movement at all in any direction. WAR was just fine as it was all around, not just in the damage department.

I rather enjoyed how WAR was the crocodile job of FFXI -- it hadn't really changed at all since its creation.
                        Lyonheart
                        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Subtle blow is the only change Mnk has received in some 3 years. =( So they're the new official crocodile.

Malacite: Have you seen a monk's defense with counterstance up? We're talking in the 50s. You may as well be a dunes job. Warrior can get defense quite high... the problem is, doing so sacrifices pretty much all offensive stats. regardless, this is off topic.

On topic: /thf is great for farming. I will not argue that. It's also much higher damage potential for levels 30-37 when you're not the tank (though you will!). I didn't mean to say don't worry about THF. I agree with everything Deeke's been saying. Just... if you can't get around to it, that's also fine. war/mnk is great fun.
                          "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                            Again, the false definition of WAR tanking rears its ugly head. After shields - which may I note, WARs tend to refuse to use - the only intended form of damage mitigation for WAR comes the NIN subjob. In other words, SE wants WARs to get smacked around, its just FFXI players are too stubborn/stupid/elitist to support that kind of tanking.

It requires a greater party effort, but the tools are all there, wasting away unused. SE has actually added a lot of reasons for players to get smacked around - Drain Samba, Magic Mortar, All those HP latent gears and more, yet main healers think thier job is to top off HP bars. Knight's Minne is never used and only BST and PLD seem to know what shields are.

Comment

Personally I found war/thf to be one of the better damage dealing classes if you are a tad 'touched in the head' nothing says lovin like a sneak attack with a great axe then again when I was leveling up warrior my friend and I played a rousing game of "Steal hate from the paladin" every party we were in, actually that game is still fun to date and leads to many nasty deaths.

War/nin isnt bad for damage from what I remember using an axe in the main hand and a sat boosting sword in my off hand seemed to make weapon skills go by faster and a bit more increase in capability.

I've yet to try /sam or /mnk but those should be comming as soon as I get war past 12 on my new character

Getting a party should be pretty easy to take you up to 30 or 31 but after that I really couldnt say... it might involve killing bees outside of Jeuno waiting for a party invite for a few hours.

::Side note/mini-rant:: I've seen one whitemage in a dune party since I've been back that actually knew how to keep a warrior tank alive with exposing herself to minimum damage. Too many people are spoiled with power leveling friends and have no idea how to heal >.< grrrr.... /rant
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X