Warrior Dual Wield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior Dual Wield

I just hit lvl 70 Warrior yesterday, a friend of mine was talking about Dual Wielding Axe and Sword at the same time. I can see where this would make a nice combo if you had your Sword skill capped (Of course i dont lol). Especially if you were wielding a sword that had good stat benefits (I was looking at Bloodsword), or you are wielding a sword that has Occasionally Attacks Twice like Joyuse. I was just wondering if others had seen Warriors doing this or had experience doing it themselves.

I got bored the other day so I decided to lvl Sword Skill. My Sword was 73 when I started so I bought two cheap swords, can't remember the name of them but they had Acc + 2 on each. Within about 3 hours I went from 73-118 only food i had was a Jack o lantern for acc and evasion, since i was wearing Hauby.
    {New Sig in the works}
    -----------------------
    "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
    "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
    Originally posted by Solymir
    What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Re: Warrior Dual Wield

The only sword I would dual wield is Joyeuse mainly for TP purposes.
    Last edited by Restlesstornado; 01-14-2008, 09:55 AM.
    RESTLESSTORNADO OF RAMUH
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
      Within about 3 hours I went from 73-118 only food i had was a Jack o lantern for acc and evasion, since i was wearing Hauby.
      While I don't know much about WAR and dual-wielding, I can tell you that for that combo you speak of (axe/sword DW), you are going to need to get your sword skill much higher. At level 70, WAR sword skill caps at 233. While you needn't actually be at the cap, you definitely need to be at least 200+ to make wielding swords worthwhile.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
      ------
      Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
      When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

You really do need to go beyond capped native sword skill to make use of an offhand sword. Ideally, you would want 8 sword merits (+2 skill per merit) plus a Suppanomimi (+5 skill). That would be a total of +21 sword skill, bringing your capped skill to just above A-, but still 5 skill levels below A+.

Bloodsword might look nice, but the damage rating isn't all that great, at least not in the 70s. Joyeuse makes up for lower "DPS" with its multiple attacks, faster TP gain and piercing damage.
        Lyonheart
        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Bloodsword is trash, even at the level at which you can first use it.

And like Lyon said, Joyeuse is used because its 50% double hit proc rate gives it a lot of DoT, and it increases the rate at which you gain TP so you can Rampage more often.

Other swords won't fare as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
            While I don't know much about WAR and dual-wielding, I can tell you that for that combo you speak of (axe/sword DW), you are going to need to get your sword skill much higher. At level 70, WAR sword skill caps at 233. While you needn't actually be at the cap, you definitely need to be at least 200+ to make wielding swords worthwhile.
            Well i know that much, I've dealt with WAR long enough to know that i will definently need it to be capped before i even attempt to use it in a pt. Otherwise i'll be looking I was near lvl 60 when i didnt have Great Axe capped and was using it in party. Which was hard on me and also on the party because it made the mobs almost unhittible.

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
            You really do need to go beyond capped native sword skill to make use of an offhand sword. Ideally, you would want 8 sword merits (+2 skill per merit) plus a Suppanomimi (+5 skill). That would be a total of +21 sword skill, bringing your capped skill to just above A-, but still 5 skill levels below A+.

Bloodsword might look nice, but the damage rating isn't all that great, at least not in the 70s. Joyeuse makes up for lower "DPS" with its multiple attacks, faster TP gain and piercing damage.
            I'll probably wait until i get some merits and have sword capped to do this but it does sound like a good plan. Thanks
            {New Sig in the works}
            -----------------------
            "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
            "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
            Originally posted by Solymir
            What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Think Ridill is better then Joy, no (hard to obtain, but still better I think)?

Comment

If you can get one, then yes, by far.

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
                  I'll probably wait until i get some merits and have sword capped to do this but it does sound like a good plan. Thanks
                  Wouldn't that mean taking away merits from weapons that would be more useful?

EDIT: Ok, my mistake. I thought you were only able to max out one weapon type skill. Though with WAR wouldn't the obvious 2 be Axe and G.Axe?
                  I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

The difference is that Sword merits are essential to making Joyeuse effective. Axe and Great Axe aren't (especially Great Axe now with the two-handed weapon changes.)

8 Sword/4 Axe/4 Great Axe is a nice compromise.

In any case you can't merit for every situation. DA merits work just fine and dandy with Axe/Axe and Great Axe but aren't so useful for Axe/Joyeuse.

Comment

sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

8 Sword/4 Axe/4 Great Axe is a nice compromise.
                        Can't you have 20 now instead of 16?
                        Thanks Kazuki.
                        Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                          Though with WAR wouldn't the obvious 2 be Axe and G.Axe?
                          Since GAxe is an A+ skill, you really don't need any merits in order to eat meat at typical merit camps, and that was true even before the boosts SE gave to 2 handed weapons. For Axe, 4 merits is typically suggested in order to go from eating sushi to eating meat.

If further merits with GAxe or Axe could make the difference between sushi and meat against HNMs, then I could see merit in putting further merit into those weapons. Otherwise, I wouldn't suggest further meritting those weapons unless you had combat merits left over to use.

If someone was a 75 WAR, already had a Joyeuse and/or Ridill, and was definitely not going to level another melee job to 75, then I would suggest 4 GAxe, 8 Axe and 8 Sword as the combat merit allotment.
                          Lyonheart
                          lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                          Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                          Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                          Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                          Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                          Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                          Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

It's too bad we can't just merit to our heart's content and max out all our stats heh...

Seriously though another boost to combat merits would be nice. I'm agonizing over which skills to boot.
                            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Maybe another one will come when they release DNC & SCH merits like when they released BLU,COR,&PUP merits . . .. . . one can only dream T.T

Comment

Working...
                              X