Job questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job questions

Hello, I have done some searching on the forums about this paticular topic and found some information just not really what I needed. So, my question is this, I have been trying to figure out what job I wanted to do in the long run. I have narrowed it down to war/nin nin/war and mnk/war. The reason I have narrowed it down to these is because they all dual wield pretty well all the time. My big question is which would be more damage oriented end game. I realize that monk is the probably most damage oriented in its nature but I have heard different opinions about this. Some say that war/nin is a powerhouse that has some of the best damage in the game, then some people say that a nin/war is awesome also later on. My big problem is I love being a dd, I always have on all the mmo's I have played. I just don't like waiting on the huge delay on the 2 handed weapons. What do you guys think?

Re: Job questions

Really all the opinions you're going to get are still probably not going to answer your question 100%. You know exactly how you want to play this game, and you also know that you have to get your WAR or MNK to 30 before you can unlock NIN anyway, and I'm sure you'll be using both jobs (WAR and MNK) because you'll need a subjob anyway. Thus, you can kind of feel both of those jobs out before you ever even unlock Ninja. Once you have NIN and you play it for a few levels you can then also see what you like/dislike about the job.

Something about NIN is that you will be tanking most of the time with your shadows, so damage isn't going to be as important in the long run as equipping yourself for evasion and defense. That may or may not factor into your decision, but keep it in mind, that you will likely need to equip/"eat" for defense instead of attack and strength.

Since I haven't reached endgame yet per se, I don't know which job is more sought after, or who does the highest amount of damage. With different equipment and play styles the possibilities are really endless, so there's no definitive answer.

Of course I could be wrong here but that's just what I can see just based off what I know so far in this game.

So yeah, my best advice is just to level them all up for a bit, as you will need WAR to 37 at least for both MNK and NIN to sub, and you should get MNK up to (at the VERY LEAST) 15 if you're subbing it for Warrior until 30. I say just play all three and go with what you like. There's no shame in playing multiple jobs.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Zaer505 View Post
      Hello, I have done some searching on the forums about this paticular topic and found some information just not really what I needed. So, my question is this, I have been trying to figure out what job I wanted to do in the long run. I have narrowed it down to war/nin nin/war and mnk/war.
      Suggestion #1: Don't make up your mind before hand on what subjob you want to pair with a main job. Every job in this game can benefit from having multiple subjobs, to use in different situations. So tell youself, "I'm choosing between WAR, NIN and MNK." Once you pick a main job, keep yourself open to leveling more than just one subjob in the long run.

My big question is which would be more damage oriented end game.
      MNK tends to be viewed as pure DD. WAR tends to be viewed as mainly DD, and can tank given the right subjob/gear/party setup/mob. NIN tends to be viewed as mainly a tank, but can serve as DD when geared up right.

Suggestion #2: Avoid categorizing yourself as Damage Only. To get the most out of this game, you need more flexibility. Any of those jobs, when played right, can give you some amount of flexibility (e.g. a MNK can very effectively counter-tank, with the right gear). NIN would give you the most flexibility, while MNK would offer the least out of those 3 jobs, IMHO.
      Lyonheart
      lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
      Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
      Fishing 60

Lakiskline
      Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
      Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
      Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
      Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I just don't like waiting on the huge delay on the 2 handed weapons.
        Keep in mind that while you Dual Wield, the Delay for each weapon is combined, making it just as slow as swinging a 2 handed weapon. The advanced Dual Wield traits will reduce the combined delay once you get them, but for the start it will be just as slow.
        FFXIV Balmung Server
        Tenro Matashi
        PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

I just don't like waiting on the huge delay on the 2 handed weapons.
          Furthermore, at about roughly the same time that Dual Weild becomes faster, so can two-handed weapons (via Samurai and its rapid TP gain and Job Abilities), so the delay between the two combats styles is negligible, and the damage is more or less the same. Don't fall into the trap of looking only at what's written down on paper; you may miss something that you might actually like, but wouldn't have ever noticed otherwise.

One other thing: Warrior, Monk, and Ninja are all really common in the game. Don't be surprised if the time spent Looking For Party (LFP) is higher than what you'd be used to or expect (maybe not so much in the case of Ninja, but you're not going to be expected to DD in that case). In this game, DDs tend to outnumber Tanks and Support, so you'll have to weigh your options a bit.

I'd rather you go in knowing what you might expect, instead of rushing in thinking "Yeah! I'mma be a WAR/NIN!" or some such, only to run smack into a line of other war/nins and having to take a number. Remember, there are 18 jobs in this game; don't limit yourself to just three until you've tried a good number of them (I personally like Drg, Blu, and Cor, and damage from those jobs can be just as fast and hard-hitting as any War, Mnk, or Nin is capable of; other jobs can produce the same results).

Good luck, and just have fun!

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing: Don't worry about endgame, especially when you're just starting out. That'll be quite a while before you're even ready to think about it. Just focus on the "Now", and the "Later" will happen just then, later. There's *plenty* to do and think about before you even get there, anyways.
          Last edited by LilithAngel; 03-18-2007, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Up to this point I have carried War/Mnk to 30/15, I am about to start working on my ninja quest. For most of those levels I have used Gaxe and Axe/shield. I don't enjoy the Gaxe as much up to this point. A lot of the time I feel like I am waiting about 10 seconds between swings lol. The replies I have gotten have helped though. I am still not sure about what job would be right for me. The biggest thing that I want is something that doesn't seem boring. By boring I mean swing swing swing voke ws swing swing swing. I hope you guys understand where I am coming from. I understand though that the higher I get the more I will be doing, but from what I have said what are your suggestions?

Also I don't want to limit my job choices to just these 3. One thing though is I would like a melee job so that I can use my /war that I have leveled.
            Last edited by Zaer505; 03-18-2007, 02:58 PM.

Comment

If you don't like watching your character auto-attack and all your interaction is just you using WS...don't play MNK. That's about all there is to monk, honestly. (Until you get to higher levels and sub ninja and end up tanking half the time through pure damage....but that's only at 74/75 :/).

Ninja is much more involved and can be an amazing damage dealer when equipped right. WAR is a bit more veristile than MNK (tanks at low levels, has more subjob options) but is usually just auto-attacking and using weapon skills like monk.
              Generic Info!

Comment

If you want a job that does a lot.... play RDM.

Honestly, if you're bored on RDM (32+) then there's something wrong with you >. >

As for a diverse DD, DRK and SAM are both excellent choices. With DRK you can cast various spells between swings for something different. SAM gains TP like a madman and has a lot of SC options. It really pick up after 30 when you get mediate and can SC with multiple people.
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

All posters from above already give very good advice ^^b

If you enjoy the process of leveling a job (or more than one job), you may level all three war, mnk and nin. I am not saying to rush all three jobs to level 75. Whenever you want a "vacation" for one job, feel free to switch to another job for some fun =P

As for NIN/WAR, WAR/NIN, and MNK/WAR, NIN/WAR usually requires a lot of player's interaction, while MNK/WAR requires the least in general. However, that does not mean MNK/WAR is boring. If I have a tired day after work and want to lay-back/relax + have some fun, MNK/WAR is just perfect for me in that situation. If I want to get my hands dirty for that day, I would join party as NIN/WAR.
                  Server: Quetzalcoatl
                  Race: Hume Rank 7
                  75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Working...
                  X