effective tanking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• effective tanking

i am a 16 lvl galka war with no sub (at this point). and have had an issue or two in trying to be an effective tank. I have the 12 lvl grx and my skill is usally capped by the time i level. just the scale armor. I use boiled crayfish. (most economical becasue i can craft it)

The Problem: When the puller brings the mob back to camp and I voke, the mob doesn't always come to me and continues to chase the puller ( not so good) the puller spams for me to voke, but at this point it won't be ready for another 30. the puller is pulling with voke and not ranged. I usually end up using berserk to get the mobs attention, but that's got its own consequences.

what am i doing wrong ?what could I do better?

I don't intend to make warrior my main or even tank much past 30, but i would like to be effective while i am tanking.

Re: effective tanking

Originally posted by Zeraze View Post
    the puller is pulling with voke and not ranged.
    I'd say that's part of the problem. They could use bow, xbow, gun (if they have one at that level, and it's not super important to pull it immediately), or a freaking pebble for crying out loud. Hell, if they're going to pull with voke, you may as well pull and tank. Then maybe he wouldn't have a crap-fit when you can't get it off of him.

Comment

From my experience, the first Provoke that initiate the battle has higher hate than the following Provoke. If the puller pulls with provoke, then the tank provoke the mob at the camp, the puller should have higher hate, and the mob would continue to focus on the puller.

Basically it is your puller's fault.

However, a way to improve your hate control is make sure your TP is over 100% or close to 100% before the battle begins. When the mob comes in, Provoke, then use Shield Break as soon as possible. Depends on the duration of the battle and your accuracy, save enough TP for the opening of the next fight.
      Server: Quetzalcoatl
      Race: Hume Rank 7
      75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

that's exactly what i have been doing ^^ thanks

Comment

From my experience, the first Provoke that initiate the battle has higher hate than the following Provoke. If the puller pulls with provoke, then the tank provoke the mob at the camp, the puller should have higher hate, and the mob would continue to focus on the puller.

Basically it is your puller's fault.
          Actually, I don't think this is exactly the case. Close, though. From my experience duo'ing through the teens with my girlfriend, me as a PLD, she as a RNG, a long time ago, the first action towards the mob has more hate than normally (or perhaps the first person to enter the mob's hate list starts with a higher-than-zero ammount; in the end, it's almost the same thing.) I say this because there were times where she'd shoot our next victim, and even after exceeding the damage she had done to the mob, it would stay on her. After that I tried getting to the mob just before her shot would hit, and even though she hit within a second or two after I did, and her shot did significantly more damage than my sword swing, it would stay on me. So, it's not so much a matter of "the first Provoke in the fight" as it is "the first action in the fight."

That aside, your point still stands; it's the puller's fault.
          Last edited by Armando; 02-14-2007, 02:03 PM.

Comment

If they're gonna insist on pulling with provoke you could let them get whacked a couple of times then voke. Taking damage lowers your hate so you should be able to get it off him then.

Comment

If no one in your party has ranged attack and provoke pulling is the only option I would just pull and tank at the same time. Either way there will be extra cures needed because with the short range of provoke the puller is going to get hit no matter what unless he has shadows so you might as well just let a single person take all the damage like originally intended.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with the rest of the thread here. If that's the best you can find for a puller besides yourself... get a crossbow and do your own pulling. (Actually, you should come prepared with a crossbow anyway, because in your next party it might be you and a PLD, and then you'd be the one with only provoke to pull with...)
                Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

I agree all to the above, I would however consider investing in some bone armour to help defense, its Lvl 16. At lvl 16 with scale armour still isn't too good.

Comment

Iam a firm believer in the "first action gets a hate bonus" thing. At these lvls WAR with no sub really has no hate tools to keep hate especially with alot of newer ppl playing jobs like BLM. Here a miss placed fire spell can get you one shot gobbie rushed into that soft white valkrum sand we have all tasted so much.

My advice is to run MNK to at least 18 first and get your sub. This will allow you better dex, str, vit, more hp, and boost which acts like a mini voke. Not to mention your war sub set till 37 till you decide what you wanna stick with. With the combo of voke and boost you can generate so much hate I have had PLDs drop invincible and the mob not even turn an eye for more then a few seconds.

just my 2 gil

Comment

pulling by voke
                      sounds like something only a brave tank/puller would do
                      /salute

Comment

When the puller brings the mob back to camp and I voke, the mob doesn't always come to me and continues to chase the puller ( not so good) the puller spams for me to voke...
                        The puller doesn't sound that brave to me. Being brave vs being stupid is a very fine line.
                        Lyonheart
                        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Bottom line - you should never pull with Provoke.
                          FFXIV Balmung Server
                          Tenro Matashi
                          PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Donkey View Post
                            Bottom line - you should never pull with Provoke.
                            Unless you are also the tank. But yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionin View Post
                              Iam a firm believer in the "first action gets a hate bonus" thing. At these lvls WAR with no sub really has no hate tools to keep hate especially with alot of newer ppl playing jobs like BLM. Here a miss placed fire spell can get you one shot gobbie rushed into that soft white valkrum sand we have all tasted so much.

My advice is to run MNK to at least 18 first and get your sub. This will allow you better dex, str, vit, more hp, and boost which acts like a mini voke. Not to mention your war sub set till 37 till you decide what you wanna stick with. With the combo of voke and boost you can generate so much hate I have had PLDs drop invincible and the mob not even turn an eye for more then a few seconds.

just my 2 gil
                              The reason the dunes are so popular is the ability for people to make mistakes there with minimal repercussions. The first 20 levels mean nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X