Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another "newb" question.

Originally posted by Ellipses
    And if you're going for sheepskin, you might as well turn it into sheep leather (dark crystal, sheepskin x1, windurstian tea leaves x1, distilled water x1). It's a level 2 leatherworking recipe, so you can do it from the start without many breaks, and the profit is ridiculous even if you buy the leaves off the AH.
    This has been my main source of income since I started out. Roughly a 5 to 1 profit/cost ratio - even better if you buy your stuff at the Leathercraft guild in Sandy.

Comment

You can buy a butterfly great axe in bastok markets for about 700gil from the weapon shop. The guy in the back room sells them, he also sells Greataxes as well for about 4.5k. I'd skip the level 8 fire great axes unless you really want to get one.

I find beehive chips to be the best thing around bastok to farm, unfortunetly a lot of others seem to share my view and prices change between 10-20k a lot although not as quickly as crystals. Beastmen gear is nice but is not the commonest drop and they all seem to sell for 1k normally so I don't go out of my way to get them but they make a nice extra.

Comment

Let's keep pumping information at this guy.

Eventually, you will want fame. I suggest that you do the first few levels of jobs in Zeruhn Mines. Kill almost anything down there and you will get Zeruhn Soot. Collect all the soot you can as you level. When you get done, stop by Gerbaum at (F-8) in Bastok Mines. Trade the soot to him three at a time and he will give you 150 gil and fame.

Don't bother going in with your WAR8, that would be a waste. Do it when you start leveling your subjob or if you pick up another job.

I know someone who does this and he has never had trouble with Bastok fame.
        Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
        I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

If you can, buy some pickaxes and mine in Zeruhn. Best way to make gil in Bastok on a new character.

Comment

Originally posted by durecellrabbit
            You can buy a butterfly great axe in bastok markets for about 700gil from the weapon shop. The guy in the back room sells them, he also sells Greataxes as well for about 4.5k. I'd skip the level 8 fire great axes unless you really want to get one.
            Only when Bastok isn't last place on the server, which, according to his first post, they are. That's how the whole thing started.
            Ellipses on Fenrir
            There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
            . . .

Comment

Sweet frosted smoothies Batman!

There is a great deal of information here, I did not know about the copper ingot synthesis recipe. I have three copper ores that I was wondering what I should do with, and now I know.

My only experience with sheep came from my ill fated first character, a Taru Taru Black Mage. The sheep did a happy dance on my broken bloody carcass. Mayhaps it is time for revenge....

It is inconvenient, in my humble opinion, that should you choose a town that is in last place, you can't buy some of the starting equipment for certain classes. There is probably a good reason though.

Thanks for the information folks, any more tidbits of wisdom for this tank in training would be appreciated!
              Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. - Dark Helmet

Comment

I know it sells for 2,000 in the Auction house, but that seems like so much to charge.
                I hope I don't sound mean when I tell you this. But you should get over those feelings. And fast.

You aren't ripping anyone off. Does charging 2k for a bag a grain seeds sound like too much? Well then, how about the crafter who's charging 30k for a Great Axe?

See, that's the great thing about an open market system. Prices may go up, but costs stay relatively the same. If those grain seeds cost twice as much a year from now, then that Great Axe will probably also cost twice as much. And so will a stack of Fire Crystals. Will, they won't correspond exactly like that. But the trend will be there.
                Lyonheart
                lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

As a corrollary to that, what's nice about gear is that although something may be expensive, you can sell that item right back to the AH when you're finished with it. Sometimes at a profit even (although every now and then at a loss). Just think of it as "renting".

Comment

I like "investing."

Comment

Originally posted by Taermus
                      I like "investing."
                      It can feel a lot like investing when the price goes way up.^^ The first time I quit, I sold all of my normal gear, and bought a few pairs of Leaping Boots. When I came back to the game several months later, I made a hefty profit just by selling those back on the AH.

Comment

Well, I took the advice in this thread, and went and procured some of the items and sold them on the Auction House for the price history listed prices. I was then able to buy a Butterfly Axe. I want to emphasize this:

[B]Oh good gravy, the carnage I can unleash with a Great Axe!

Comment

Oregonaut I kinda envy you, believe it or not you are in the best part of the game, you have yet to discover so many things that you'll be really entertained for a long time.

I wouldn't mind going back in time to when I first started.

But then again that's what old lvl 75 geezers like me say...

At least I'm not as old as Maat (all jobs to 75? wth get a life you old bastard!!).

My tip for you to make some good gil would be trying out fishing, it's a very useful and cheap to level craft, and you can get some profit out of it.

Fishing Skill 0-100 <--check this link, you wont regret it.
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Re: Another &quot;newb&quot; question.

Originally posted by Raydeus
                            My tip for you to make some good gil would be trying out fishing, it's a very useful and cheap to level craft, and you can get some profit out of it.

Fishing Skill 0-100 <--check this link, you wont regret it.
                            About the time you posted yesterday, I got a Yew Fishing Rod to drop off a Goblin Fisher. The controls for fishing on the XBox are EASY. Very intuitive, much like it.

Comment

Re: Another &quot;newb&quot; question.

Originally posted by Oregonaut
                              About the time you posted yesterday, I got a Yew Fishing Rod to drop off a Goblin Fisher. The controls for fishing on the XBox are EASY. Very intuitive, much like it.
                              My neice fishes for my dad when he doesn't feel like doing it. I think he just does that to occupy her though.

Fishing is a very nice way to make steady (if not super fast) gil starting out. I did it for nearly a month when I first got back, and really made a fair bit of money for myself.

Good luck with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X