Great Axe...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Axe...?

Ok I have 4 jobs at 75 THF/RNG/MNK/BRD here is the thing tho. I don't know if I should try an keep G.axe capped why I'm XPing or just stick to axe an not worry about G.axe til like 60 or something. It just sucks that I don't have a job I can skill it up on. I just can't make up my mind on what I should do. If anyone can help me here an give me some more input on what I should do thanks a whole lot.

You think you're the best, but there is always someone better.

Re: Great Axe...?

Well, you should really focus on keeping your GAXE skilled up with your axe, if for no other reason then that the weaponskills you get from it are far more useful in the low-to-mid levels than those of the Axe.

You really shouldn't have any trouble keeping both of them capped as you level WAR (if that is what you're doing).

Comment

My opinion, as I finished writing about an hour ago: http://therealtaru.blogspot.com/2006...go-my-way.html

Comment

I don't understand why everything is quadruple spaced in your blog. :/ Anyway, I disagree.

GAXE weaponskills aren't necessarily just about doing damage. The Break WS's for instance, are about making the fights go faster for everyone, not just being the most damaging Party Member. From the dunes through Garlaige, I'd often rather my WAR bust out with a Shield Break when he gets TP rather than worrying about landing a Sturmwind every time.

Later on, there is definitely a lot of positive things about going Axe or Axe/Axe or whatever, but what works during one level range doesn't necessarily work during another.

Comment

I know that, but the point is, Axe/Axe works just as well as Gax.

Axe has benefits, Gax has benefits, as long as you aren't a noob with a sword (or a polearm, or a scythe, or a great sword, or...) , it doesn't matter.

Comment

It just doesn't make any sense to me to not level both of your A rated weapons. Especially since if you keep them both on you at all times, there isn't any problem keeping them capped.

But that's me.

Comment

Parses without context aren't all that great a source for argument. Subjobs, equipment, food, etc.

I wouldn't refuse to party with a WAR who didn't have GAXE available or anything. But I'd also be a lot more likely to remember (in a good way) a WAR who had both capped and switched to the one that helped the party most.
              Ellipses on Fenrir
              There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
              . . .

Comment

There is a reason why people say that WARs should use GAXE. It's not just because they like it better. It's because over the years it has been proven to be a smart choice to keep it leveled.

Comment

So I should just stick to G.axe for the time being? I know my axe is capped an will be til the later levels from doing it on RNG. Thanks a lot for getting back to me pretty fast. By the way, my WAR is 45 right now if that helps at all.

You think you're the best, but there is always someone better.

Comment

It can be very difficult to keep two different weapons capped at the lower levels, and in the higher levels it's even more difficult to cap an uncapped weapon. If you use a charge from the Empress Band you wont learn your first WS until about level 5, rather than the usual level 3. In the dunes, as you can probably imagine, it 's tough capping your weapons with PLs rushing you through everything. With my Drk I'm having trouble keeping both GS and Scythe capped and I'm stil in Qufim.

I think it's worth it though. If you cap a weapon, and you have another weapon on you, ask your party if you can change and restructure the SC for it. You'll be all hell yea later when it comes time to unlock the quested WSs.

Comment

By the way, Rune Chopper would let you skill GAXE up on BRD to a point.
                      Ellipses on Fenrir
                      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                      . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ImpactionActionHero
                        It can be very difficult to keep two different weapons capped at the lower levels, and in the higher levels it's even more difficult to cap an uncapped weapon. If you use a charge from the Empress Band you wont learn your first WS until about level 5, rather than the usual level 3. In the dunes, as you can probably imagine, it 's tough capping your weapons with PLs rushing you through everything. With my Drk I'm having trouble keeping both GS and Scythe capped and I'm stil in Qufim.

I think it's worth it though. If you cap a weapon, and you have another weapon on you, ask your party if you can change and restructure the SC for it. You'll be all hell yea later when it comes time to unlock the quested WSs.
                        Really? I've seriously never had any trouble keeping both capped. Axe generally caps faster, but I've never had one lag behind by more than two or three points.

Then again, I don't generally spend too much time in PL parties.

I can see how it would be hard to keep two high delay weapons from capping. Especially if you don't connect on every swing. You definitely have my condolences there. To (kind of) solve that problem on DRK, I took my WAR out and leveled Great Sword as far as I could solo, so I can just focus on Scythe while leveling DRK for a while. When it finally uncaps though, I'll probably have some trouble.

OP: If you already have axe capped for quite a while, then there's really no reason not to at least try to get GAXE up to speed. But keep both on you at all times.^^

Another thing - just because you're subbing NIN, doesn't mean you have to use dual axes. Especially early on.

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
                          Really?
                          Another thing - just because you're subbing NIN, doesn't mean you have to use dual axes. Especially early on.
                          Promyvions are an example where great axes are just stronger than dual wield axes. At this point, dual wielding swords would be better, because the strongest axe at level thirty are picks if I remember correctly. Picks are slow, and your WSs aren't exactly all too powerful. Great axes are fairly strong and remain at the standard speed while providing you with Shield Break and Sturmwind.

Comment

Bard doesnt have GA skill so it won't skill up. Like elemental staves on my Thf, nothing happened.
                            75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
                            Woodworking 91.9+2
                            ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Originally posted by ImpactionActionHero
                              Promyvions are an example where great axes are just stronger than dual wield axes. At this point, dual wielding swords would be better, because the strongest axe at level thirty are picks if I remember correctly. Picks are slow, and your WSs aren't exactly all too powerful. Great axes are fairly strong and remain at the standard speed while providing you with Shield Break and Sturmwind.
                              Dual Centurians are a nice option in there, but yeah, GAXE is pretty nifty.

Comment

Working...
                              X