• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lvl 59 Hauby Needed?

Is the Hauby needed?

Re: Lvl 59 Hauby Needed?

is it good? hell yes.
    is it needed? no.

if you can afford it, it's great. the 10 accuracy is a big help. str and attack bonus are a big big plus.

if you can't, the Royal Knight's Chainmail isn't bad. Or if you have trouble with accuracy, Jaridah doesn't look bad either.

Hauby isn't terribly expensive imo, it's going for 3.5-4M on my server. Pretty reasonable I think.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

As far as it goes... I wouldn't freak out if the WAR in my group didn't have a haub at 59, especially on their first job. Slightly disappointed? Yes. But I'm sure people think about same thing when they don't see my WHM in nobles. >_>

Bigger issues would be if you didn't have enough accuracy to land hits or enough ATK/STR to do much damage when you hit. And of course, general play style issues that we can't really judge without actually playing with you...
      Generic Info!

Comment

The biggest thing you can gain from purchasing a Hauby is this: you get the sense of accomplishment for having successfully saved up for a very expensive (and worthwhile) piece of gear. If you avoid saving up for a Hauby, you'll probably find yourself quite frustrated by the other expensive end game caliber equipment you'll want to get a hold of in the long run -- things like Maneater, Woodsville Axe, Berserkers Axe, Sniper/Woodsman Rings, Flame Rings, etc. In contrast, if you do manage to get a Hauby, you'll realize that the other pieces of gear are also obtainable with some effort.
        Lyonheart
        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I've always felt that if it's worth over a million for 1 piece of gear, it's probably not needed. Actual number might vary from server to server, and there might a few items here and there that you really ought to have for certain jobs. But you can generally get away with not having expensive stuff if you just do well at your job.

Comment

I would suggest getting a hauby as soon as you can. I'm not saying that you must not level past 59 until you get it, but it is one piece of gear that will payoff for your entire FFXI playing career. (I got mine @ SAM65) My WAR uses it, my SAM uses it, and my DRK will use it. I know alot of NINs and PLDs that use it over Tank gear/Scorpion's harness in certain party configurations (TPburns). If you can't afford it and are having trouble getting the gil, there are BCNMs that you can do that drop a bunch of high-dollar items.(how I got mine)
            San'dorian Rank 10
            SAM-75 WAR-74 DRK-62 THF-37 RNG-37 NIN-37

Comment

Part of being good at this game is learning how to make money. After a certain lvl 1 million gil should not seem like a lot of cash. It's easy to make with a little effort and knowledge and everyone should be able to do it. Sure a lil luck can go a long way, but you can't rely on luck alone, you have to learn to work for it.

Hauby is THE best piece of armor for wars for the last half of the exp grind. Only the Hauberk, which has similar stats to the haub but no Ag/eva downf, and the Adamn/Armada haubs are actually better. The Peti and RK armor are no where NEAR as awesome as the Haub, as the Haub has better stats then both of them combined.

If you want to be technical, no gear in this game is 'needed'. BUt the Haub is something all melee DD should strive for as it's just that damn good.
              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Is it needed? no.
                Should you have it? Probably.

yes, it's a decent chunk of gil, but for it's benefits, it's worth it. I know i'm gonna stop leveling once I get to 60 to take some time out to get one.

Not to mention, if you get it, you'll probably use it at least until hauberk, and possibly past that.

If you're really struggling for cash, you can get by with something else. If you have any ability to make money, go for Hauby.

Comment

Uh Ziero at what lvl does 1mil not become an issue...I have 3 static with 3 different jobs and i farm whenver i am not xping and to me 1mil is a huge chunk of money. Only 1 job is over 70, just got a second to 60, and i got to tell ya, 1mil is still a big bite out of my bank. I remember having 1mil in gil once and that was after saving for about 2 months. I have done the bcnm's but because of the price of the items that droped those items went to people that needed them (ex: nin was in a creeping doom bcnm and utsumie: ni droped and it went to him for use, but on the flip side of that the genin earring droped and i got that in a later bcnm). I know a whm with a bank roll of 5mill who thinks 1mil is a gouge on some items...so like uh what lvl is 1mil not an issue?

Hauby's awesomeness: Undisputable
                  Hauby's nessesity: Disputable

It depends on your play style and what you are doing to effort the difference. I mean if you are doing well and the party is doing well then I dont think the party should worry about what you are or are not wearing. Are you going to be as good, in terms of hard numbers, as someone with the luxury gear, no, those are hard facts. However i would argue, and have argued that with good skills and decent gear you will still do better than someone will leet gear and no skill at all.

RNG67 BRD66 THF55 NIN35 WHM31 RDM35 WAR24 PLD30

Comment

I have 3 static with 3 different jobs and i farm whenver i am not xping and to me 1mil is a huge chunk of money.... so like uh what lvl is 1mil not an issue?
                    The first level after you get comfortable making gil with activities other than just farming. That means stuff like HELM and crafting. And you should definitely look into gardening. With gardening, the money you make isn't based on the amount of time you spend, but rather on the amount of gil you're willing to invest in it up front (i.e. seeds).

I consider BCNM to be an extension of farming. You have to go out and kill mobs to save up the seals.

I spend maybe an hour a day crafting, placing items on the AH, and gardening. And I can make 1 million gil each week. But then, I also have 50 plants, 2 100+ crafts, and typically 3 chars within easy access of Jeuno AH.
                    Lyonheart
                    lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                    Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                    Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                    Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                    Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                    Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                    Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Making gil is all about finding the "one" way that works for you.

It took me a whole year for my first 1M gil back when I had no idea what to do.
                      Today I mainly fish and cook and I can make a mil in 1-2 days. I don't even need to be high level to do this.
                      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

have done the bcnm's but because of the price of the items that droped those items went to people that needed them (ex: nin was in a creeping doom bcnm and utsumie: ni droped and it went to him for use, but on the flip side of that the genin earring droped and i got that in a later bcnm).
                        That way of distributing the drops really sucks. The ninja needs the scroll so he can keep leveling up ninja you need the money off the scroll to get your equips so you can keep leveling.
                        WAR57 THF43 BRD38 NIN36 MNK32 BST32 RNG31 DRK28 BLU43 WHM23 RDM19 SMN19 BLM18 DRG12 SAM13

Say gay or homo one more time and you're gonna aggro the back of my hand.

Comment

Working...
                        X