Need some gear advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some gear advice...

Brought my THF back from the dead, need some advice on gear for it. This is what I currently have and am satisfied with:

Main: Perseus's Harpe
    Sub: Thief's Knife
    Head: Walahra Turban
    Body: Raparee Harness
    Back: Amemet Mantle +1
    Ring1: Lava's Ring
    Ring2: Kusha's Ring
    Waist: Warwolf Belt

This is what I melee in. I don't have a STR build for weaponskills, nor a haste build. I still don't have a swift belt, which I'll be getting soon, but what advice can you offer in terms of general melee what I should AT LEAST get for the following: (Note, these spots are filled, but its with War gear, Bounding boots, beetle earring +1, power crossbow, etc, not fantastic stuff..)

Ear1:
    Ear2:
    Neck:
    Ranged:
    Ammo:
    Hands:
    Legs:
    Feet:
    | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
    2/5 WAR +2
    Farsha(85)

Re: Need some gear advice...

What kind of degree of quality gear are you asking on advice for?

AH-able cheap stuff, AH-able expensive stuff, easy to get Rare/Ex stuff (read-things that can be solo'd without any missions/etc done), or hard to get Rare/Ex stuff (read-Sea, Sky, Limbus, etc)?
    Quotes

Comment

I always use this site to have a look where I should be heading then I usually tweak it to whats achieveable for me. I've never had any complaints so far regarding my gear options so I guess it's a good source to give you an idea of what to equip.

FFXI - Claquesous Equipment

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltar View Post
        Brought my THF back from the dead, need some advice on gear for it. This is what I currently have and am satisfied with:

Main: Perseus's Harpe Fane Baselard, Blau Dolch, or Athame (Trial 12)
        Sub: Thief's Knife X's Knife, or any of the above that isn't in your main hand
        Head: Walahra Turban
        Body: Raparee Harness Homam, Skadi or Antares harness are amazing if you need +acc
        Back: Amemet Mantle +1 Cuchulain's Mantle
        Ring1: Lava's Ring Zilant Ring (drops off Yilbegan Tier IV VNM)
        Ring2: Kusha's Ring Blobnag or Strigoi Rings
        Waist: Warwolf Belt Try to augment it in sky FoV for WS. TP in Headlong, Swift or Speedbelt.

This is what I melee in. I don't have a STR build for weaponskills, nor a haste build. I still don't have a swift belt, which I'll be getting soon, but what advice can you offer in terms of general melee what I should AT LEAST get for the following: (Note, these spots are filled, but its with War gear, Bounding boots, beetle earring +1, power crossbow, etc, not fantastic stuff..)

Ear1: Brutal Earring
        Ear2: Suppanomimi
        Neck: Love Torque
        Ranged:Staurobow or Ungur Boomerang
        Ammo: RSE Sachet is nice depending on race and if you don't need ranged attacks.
        Hands: Homam
        Legs: Homam
        Feet:Homam

Replies in bold. Some of that stuff is a little tricky to get, but not that difficult. Skadi is IMO questionable for THF, but can be very good if you want to put in the effort. The feet are an especially nice upgrade from Trotters, and for obvious reasons I left out Mandau/Vajra (Vajra is garbage anyway)
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Appreciate the replies. I've since acquired Enkidu's Mittens and Homam Legs.

We're doing Omega again on Sunday, I'd really like to be able to get hands or feet. Seems like the Homam gear is a nice combination of accuracy and haste, which really benefits thf. Looks like I'll dd in most of it^^

5/5 BST +2
          2/5 WAR +2
          Farsha(85)

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
            Some of that stuff is a little tricky to get, but not that difficult.
            Because everybody who's willing to get past the "tricky" aspect of it is currently running around in stuff like Cuchulain's Mantle, Homam, freaking Love Torque and Tier III+ VNM stat+6 Rings, which, by the way, are you really suggesting those meh Rings over Lava's and Kusha's (particularly for a one-handed weapon-wielding job)? And did you just seriously suggest trying to FoV Warwolf for a WS belt, especially in an era where we have something so stupidly-beyond-that good for that as the Virtuoso's Belt?

I'm no Thief and I'm not interested in taking the time out to suggest what full gear set you should be using for TP, WS, and whatnot, but I know unrealistic and just plain bad advice when I see it.
            Last edited by Yellow Mage; 04-30-2010, 09:54 AM.
            Originally posted by Armando
            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
            Matthew 16:15

Comment

Tier 3 VNM aren't that bad, but you'd know that if you went to BG/actually did them. Cuch isn't that bad to get either, expensive yes, but totally worth it.

And since WHEN is Warwolf, in anyway, bad for THF WS? I've seen one with CHR +5, making it the best freaking Dancing Edge piece you can get. The +6 stat rings are also for WS, not TP in though I guess I could have clarified that.

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
              I'm no Thief and I'm not interested in taking the time out to suggest what full gear set you should be using for TP, WS, and whatnot, but I know unrealistic and just plain bad advice when I see it.
              Then shut up right now, because I am a 75 THF.

@ OP: Your rings are just fine for TP, the only thing that could be argued better would be a pair of Toreador's Rings but that's #1 - Expensive and #2 - Trading all that attack for just 2 more accuracy, not really worth it.

And keeping in mind that level caps are going up which means current end game mobs are going to get a hell of a lot easier to kill.

Yes, Homam is by far the best gear for a THF to TP in. For Weaponskilling, generally speaking Hecatomb is the best, save for 1 or 2 slots where Skadi is better. Good luck on Skadi though, as Salvage drop rates are horrendous and sky is going to be an absolute f'ing joke at 90+
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                And since WHEN is Warwolf, in anyway, bad for THF WS?
                Because Accuracy+12 and Attack+4 laugh at your puny stat mods.

Though, regarding the rings, I will concede that, since I'm not a Thief, I wouldn't usually consider SA or TA. Even then, though, that's still a potential 6 Accuracy lost from switching out of Lava's and Kusha's (and I'm also assuming you're not using single-hit weaponskills here).
                No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                Matthew 16:15

Comment

THF is hardly hurting for Accuracy with all that natural DEX and an A rated weapon YM.

The Warwolf will give you a significant damage boost to Dancing Edge on Sneak Attack, especially if you can snag a good +CHR augment (I've seen people get +5). 1 DEX = 1 DMG on Sneak Attack, plus the STR affecting damage and fSTR trumps the accuracy bonus pretty hard. Furthermore, most THF use Sushi anyway so it's overkill.

Besides that THF has 2 minute feint if you merit it all the way which negates any accuracy issues you may have had in the first place.
                  sigpic

Comment

how does THF benefit form a Warwolf Belt with CHR aug?

5/5 BST +2
                    2/5 WAR +2
                    Farsha(85)

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltar View Post
                      how does THF benefit form a Warwolf Belt with CHR aug?
                      Dancing Edge.
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

WS mods are DEX: 30% CHR: 40% ... that and the +STR is going to benefit whatever you do anyway.

Comment

ah thanks, I knew about DEX but didn't know CHR affected it too, nice!

5/5 BST +2
                          2/5 WAR +2
                          Farsha(85)

Comment

Working...
                          X