'Hide' question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Hide' question

If I'm engaged with a mob and perform 'Hide', it will go away as soon a mob hits me, right?

If I'm disengaged with a mob and perform 'Hide', can my Hide be interrupted by a mob's attack, forcing me to lose my Hide?

I forget how this works, and I'm not sure if I have to necessarily Flee > Hide when disengaged, or just Hide and know that I'll automatically lose hate/de-pop mob

lolthf, Zoltar
    | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
    2/5 WAR +2
    Farsha(85)

Re: 'Hide' question

Yes, getting hit will remove Hide.

From what I remember:
    A) In any situation where the mob tracks by scent, the monster will completely ignore Hide.
    B) If the mob aggros by sight and doesn't track (or it's raining/you're in water?), hide will succeed and the monster will forget about you.
    C) If the mob aggros by sound and doesn't track, it'll deaggro when you hide and reaggro shortly afterwards. If you move quickly you can get out of aggro range before it reaggros, but if it's undead and your HP isn't white, the aggro range will be too big for you to escape.

Supposedly popping TA won't remove Hide (though popping SA will.)

Comment

Take a Korrigan for example. If it aggros to sight, and hits me fast as hell (I'm not engaged btw), I pop Hide, what are my chances of losing aggro?

5/5 BST +2
      2/5 WAR +2
      Farsha(85)

Comment

If it doesn't track (which Korrigans don't apparently) it'll deaggro immediately so the attack speed is irrelevant, but you still have to get out of aggro range before it re-aggros by sound.

This is me going by memory though so you might want to test on something safe beforehand.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I think I'll pull them close to the Cloister of Storms zone so I can flee there for safety. Appreciate the help^^

5/5 BST +2
          2/5 WAR +2
          Farsha(85)

Comment

I don't think you lose hate against Sound Aggro mobs, I'll test it tonight in Nyzul.

I know it works on undead though, but that's more of a special case, as I've never been able to successfully hide from a Quadav, even when out of aggro range and running through a swamp.

In Campaign, Hide works on just about anything. Quadavs, Orcs, Demons etc etc. Even some of the NMs, if someone else had hate on it at one time at least.

Also, iirc, with sight aggro, scent tracking mobs (aka Orcs) you have to be both out of sight (around a corner) and have gone through water for Hide to work. Meaning if you aggro something in Davoi, you head for the river, flee like a mofo then hide when you can't see the mobs. Saved my ass many of times when aggroing half the zone.

Also, learn to love Movalpolas, you can use Hide on literally everything in there that aggros. Just make sure you don't hide when a Bst Gob's pet is still alive, because that will screw you over.
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that Hide has let me get past both Tigers(sight) AND Ameretats(sound). I'm gonna head to the Tree tonight for some testing...guess I better bring some form of RR

5/5 BST +2
              2/5 WAR +2
              Farsha(85)

Comment

Hide makes you invisible, so sight aggro mobs won't aggro you. However if a sight aggro, scent tracking mob already attacks you, you need to run through water (to lose their scent) and get out of sight before you hide for it to work.

As for Ameretats, they have a terribly small aggro range. Especially when they're DC or lower. I mean, some mobs seem like they're close enough to aggro but don't because their aggro radius is just that small. It gets even smaller with /nin and Stealth.
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Well, I tried this in the Tree last night with no success. I used a silent oil to find a safe spot, then took off the effect and proceeded to aggro a Korrigan. Running back to my spot, it was very very hard NOT to aggro Goobues/Korrigans. My attempts to Hide failed and I was killed shortly after (since other mobs aggro to low-hp). I attempted to do this on sight-aggro mobs afterwards and went to Bhaflau Thickets. Marids are sight-aggro, but don't aggro unless attack. I used a ranged attack on one, let it take me down a bit, then tried to Hide. 'Zoltar's attempt to Hide from the Marid failed.'

Wiki says this detects by sight, so I didn't think I had to run through water. I guess I'm confused on what affects your ability to Hide, and under what circumstances you actually CAN hide. Any career thfs wanna chime in?

5/5 BST +2
                  2/5 WAR +2
                  Farsha(85)

Comment

Again, things that track by scent can't be hidden from unless you go through water. Most beasts and animals who aggro track by scent, including Marids. Also, Korrigans aggro by sound, not sight, which would mean Hide is useless against them.

Things hide works against are Goblins/Moblins, Yagudo, Skeleton/ghosts (assuming you have white HP), elementals, bombs(of all types), Golems, Cockatrice, Wyverns, Puks, Piestes, Lamia, Flans, Gigas, Tonberries, Pots, Dolls and Colibri. Most other sight aggro mobs, like Orcs, Tigers, Beetles, Marids etc etc track by scent, which means they will be able to follow you, whether they see you or not, as long as you don't go through water.

Of the two mobs you tested hide on last night, one of them aggroed by Sound and the other tracked by Scent, neither of which you can effectively use Hide on. Walk up to a Yagudo, use steal then use Hide. You will drop all aggro and the Yag won't bother you. Walk up to an Orc or Quadav, use steal and then hide and watch as they beat your pick pocketing ass into a bloody pulp, because one tracks by scent and the other detects by sound.

The exception to this rule though is Campaign versions of these mobs, as it seems all campaign mobs detect by sight and don't track.

Comment

I appreciate the reply. With this information, I'm going to take my thief to Castle Oz (top floor) and try it out. Maybe I can get some good drops as well Hopefully the yags won't aggro me in the red.

5/5 BST +2
                      2/5 WAR +2
                      Farsha(85)

Comment

Working...
                      X