TH4 the whole fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TH4 the whole fight?

This might be the age old question, but... Do you need to have TH4 on the entire fight, or can you just swap it in at the end, get a hit on the mob with it on, and TH4 proc's once the mob dies?
    75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
    RANK 10 Bastok
    CoP: Done
    ZM: Done
    ToA: Done
    Assault rank: Captain
    Campaign Medal: Medals
    Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
    This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Re: TH4 the whole fight?

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
    This might be the age old question, but... Do you need to have TH4 on the entire fight, or can you just swap it in at the end, get a hit on the mob with it on, and TH4 proc's once the mob dies?
    I believe that Treasure Hunter is a Thief's Job Trait, not an ability, thus it is always active.

SE has also stated that all you need to have Treasure Hunter active / work is to hit the mob once. (2006, 2007 Fan Festival)
    Hacked on 9/9/09
    FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Originally posted by Omniblast View Post
      I believe that Treasure Hunter is a Thief's Job Trait, not an ability, thus it is always active.

SE has also stated that all you need to have Treasure Hunter active / work is to hit the mob once. (2006, 2007 Fan Festival)
      That's not quite correct.

You have to generate enmity on the mob, not hit it once and you must be within XP range when it dies. This allows for the use of THF/BRD in Dynamis. The THF/BRD basically uses Horde Lullaby and other songs to generate enmity on large numbers of mobs. If you lose enmity for any reason such as logging out, zoning, or death, the effect is stripped. If more than one TH thief has enmity on the mob, the strongest TH effect will be the one that is active.

This information (the Enmity part only, the XP part is from testing I believe) was revealed by SE during an interview some time ago and has been integrated into the wiki page:

Treasure Hunter - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

Remember: Always read your wiki first.

I don't know how TH procs, but I assume that it procs when the monster dies rather than when you initially generate the enmity (the safer of the two assumptions). Most people who test TH seem to be more concerned with how much it improves drop rates rather than when it procs.

Therefore, my gear swap recommendation would be to kill it with your normal weapons and then swap in your TH gear at the last moment before death. If you want to cover all of your bases, start with a nice poke with TH gear on, swap to normal, and then swap back to TH for the death.
      Last edited by Sabaron; 01-21-2009, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Omni: Since there is no thing as TH4 he's referring to TH2 + two pieces of Treasure Hunter +1 equipment that could be swapped in or out.

To answer the question, like Omni said, the devs have already pointed out that the THF only needs to perform a single action on the mob for his Treasure Hunter to start counting. You could probably unequip TH equipment after doing your action on the mob.

Comment

Ah that age old question, that no one knows the exact answer to. LOL Some will say yes, some will say no, and no one will know whos right. I've been in ls's where being the thf is the most boring job ever. They swap you in at the last 2% of health to deal the killing blow, so the rest of the time you sit there twiddling your thumbs. Did it work? Who knows, sometimes we got shit drops and sometimes we'd get awesome drops and sometimes we'd just get crystals. SE gives us tidbits but never the entire story.
          Last edited by TheGrandMom; 01-21-2009, 08:15 AM.
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Ah, I suppose I should have just posted a link from Wikia. I mean they are after all 100% correct.

Note: this is not sarcasm, I need to up my post count artificially by posting in an actual post and not a off topic thread.
            Hacked on 9/9/09
            FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Yeah, i'm thinking along the same line Sabaron. I'll probably hit the mob with TH4, sub out to Homam, then sub it abck in for the kill. Church.
              75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
              RANK 10 Bastok
              CoP: Done
              ZM: Done
              ToA: Done
              Assault rank: Captain
              Campaign Medal: Medals
              Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
              This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Church?
                FFXIV Balmung Server
                Tenro Matashi
                PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

I don't think praying will help you all that much. Then again, it probably can't hurt. And it just might generate enmity.

Comment

Well, /heal DOES get you on the mob's hate list =P

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                      Well, /heal DOES get you on the mob's hate list =P
                      Which brings up an intriguing point...

What is the range of /heal generated enmity?
                      Does /heal enmity count for TH or is it a "different" kind of hate?
                      If /heal range is high enough, then why would you ever need to use THF/BRD?

Comment

You need to be within the mob's aggro range from what I understand.

I did some very limited tests a long time ago. Doing /heal behind a sight-aggro mob while someone else fights it doesn't put you on the mob's hate list, but doing /heal behind a sound-aggro mob will. That leads me to believe that you have to be within the mob's cone of vision or a sound aggro mob's radius of detection.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                          You need to be within the mob's aggro range from what I understand.

I did some very limited tests a long time ago. Doing /heal behind a sight-aggro mob while someone else fights it doesn't put you on the mob's hate list, but doing /heal behind a sound-aggro mob will. That leads me to believe that you have to be within the mob's cone of vision or a sound aggro mob's radius of detection.
                          Which would be very annoying in most Dynamis instances except for Bastok for which no one ever uses THF/BRD anyway.

Comment

In a party situation Treasure Hunter would be less important than say Dynamis or sky... Given your going for exp and not farming. Its always a pain to run out of inventory space while exping.

Comment

I'm leaning toward the idea that you can just swap your THF Hands before the end of the fight, since you'll be generating hate just by damagin whatever huge NM you're fighting and doing Collaborator/Accomplice anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X