Weapon Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapon Choice

What does everyone think is better for a weapon.
    Sword
    H2H
    Dagger

I think Thf should always use Dagger but you need to skill another for soloing
    Taker of Life Reaper of Sould I Have no Soul I am the GRIM REAPER

Re: Weapon Choice

I rather like h2h, fast tp gain.

Created by Eohmer
    IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE BST IN THE FIGHT, BUT THE SIZE OF THE FIGHT IN THE BST!

Comment

H2H does not get you TP faster. Also, you can't use H2H without /MNK and get good damage out of it.

In general, swords from 1-24, and from 25 onwards daggers become good.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
        H2H does not get you TP faster.
        Sorry my mistake then, I was always told that it did make tp gain faster. I have not lvled mnk so I never got a chance to see first hand about that one. Just trusted what my buddy said.
        Last edited by Spiritbear; 02-19-2007, 10:08 AM.

Created by Eohmer
        IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE BST IN THE FIGHT, BUT THE SIZE OF THE FIGHT IN THE BST!

Comment

Practically all weapons get TP at the same rate. The only major exceptions are very low-Delay weapons being used with high ammounts of Dual Wield (15+%) and multi-hitters; those get TP faster than usual.

Comment

For solo, the application of Sneak Attack rather restricted compare to a party setting, and Trick Attack cannot be used when you are solo. IMHO, those high damaging Dragger WS without SATA is not impressive, and the elemental Dragger WS that cannot stack with SATA is just so and so. Usually you spend majority of time in front of the mob during solo, not from behind, the usage of SA + WS is limited. For these reasons, I prefer not to use Dragger for solo (for THF or any job that can use Dagger).
            Server: Quetzalcoatl
            Race: Hume Rank 7
            75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Out of the three choices given , sword would be my choice hands down.

They must find it difficult...
              Those who have taken authority as the truth ,
              Rather than truth as the authority.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                Practically all weapons get TP at the same rate. The only major exceptions are very low-Delay weapons being used with high ammounts of Dual Wield (15+%) and multi-hitters; those get TP faster than usual.
                Sorry to hijack the thread, but wasn't the "TP Floor" removed? I seem to remember on an update within the past year they "fixed" TP gain in relation to Weapon Delay, effectively ruining how THF used to take advantage with low delay daggers in the Off-Hand slot with DW II.
                FFXIV Balmung Server
                Tenro Matashi
                PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

I thought the "TP Floor" was lowered, not removed. So it went from 5% to 4%. On top of that those of us with heavy slow 2Handed weapons recieved an adjustment so we gained TP similarly to how lower delay weapons gain TP.

But back to the O.P., I used Sword from Lv.1 to Lv.33 for SATA Fast Blade. At Lv.33 I moved to SATA Viper Bite. Just couldn't find a Dagger WS that would work quite like Fast Blade was.

I've heard of people who went H2H and sub'd MNK for THF until Lv.33 and done pretty well. Personally I've never test it, so can't speak on it with personal experience.

Even then, I usually Main Handed a Sword and then off handed a lower DLY Dagger. By the time I went back to seriously level THF, I already had Dagger Lv.240 and Sword Lv.210+ from my RDM main job, so it didn't really make much of a difference to me. Both skills were far above the cap for a sub job, so I didn't suffer too much.
                  Odude
                  PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
                  RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
                  SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

The TP floor is gone altogether. Of course, there's a minimum Delay you can have (i.e. two 150 Delay weapons) and there's a maximum amount of Dual Wield you can get, but that aside, the floor is gone. However, the formula that now applies to Delays below 180 scales down your TP slower than Delays above 180; in other words, you lose less TP per Delay than a 180-450 Delay weapon would. Basically, Delays significantly below 180 Delay still get TP faster, just not as fast as pre-patch.

As for the Dagger/Sword/H2H thing, we had a discussion about just a couple of days ago in the THF/MNK thread.

Comment

Said it before, Ill say it again! Thf/mnk H2H till 33 then dagger. Sneak attack + Combo beats anything sword or dagger have to offer providing your equipment isnt too gimp and /mnk gives you the Martial Arts trait making your H2H's delay reasonable for PTing or Solo untill you can PT.

Solo thf nothing beats dagger, at all. If you have a complaint with daggers weaponskill dmg without sneak atk stop being a gimp, lv markmanship and learn how to f'in solo!
                      75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
                      Woodworking 91.9+2
                      ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Working...
                      X