Saying no to burns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saying no to burns?

Actually, in the end, I have no idea why people complain about RDMs meleeing in their parties in the first place. Or for that matter, any party member that is not living up to the expectations of the group.

Every single person in this entire game has the choice to leave a party that is not to their satisfaction. Every party leader has the choice to boot a member that they do not want. If you want a RDM that doesn't melee, and your RDM is meleeing, dropping them is as easy as...why as easy as going to the Party menu!

Of course people won't do that. Most are too weak willed to stand on principle in the face of not having a RDM in their party. Your WHM won't cast Regen? Complain to your LS. Complain to your favorite online forum. But heavens no, don't boot them. Keep on enabling them while gritting your teeth.

Didn't know that RDM with Seek Party up was going to melee? "When you gamble, you have to consider losing as one of the possibilities."
    I agree with this in principle. Not just on the RDM melee thing but on all jobs who are pigeon-holed into something that is only a single aspect of their jobs. While I agree that the onus of tolerance falls on everyone else, as a pro melee (in situations where applicable) RDM the onus falls on them to make their intents for the party known, by either asking in advance "Am I main healing" or by requesting "Can you find a main healer or a class I can heal with".

It is a two way street. I find that the most awesome job a RDM can be paired with is a DNC, bar none. -25% DEF (aprox +30% ATK to all people hitting the mob) -15% Evasion (a 15% ACC increase / 7.5% hit rate increase) a 25% haste, ability to open 2 separate SC's for the 2-3 DD in party, ability to offer -25 magic evasion (for instances with MB not including DB). Combined they can heal as well as 1 main healer, and DD as well as 1 DD, while increasing the other DD's around them to the point where a fourth DD (in place ofthe dance or RDM) couldn't.

Sad thing is the stigma of bad is large, and as I said earlier its a double edged sword, RDM's "can't" melee in majority because they never have, don't know how, and can't learn, and people assume DNC is only good for Samba and Cure Waltz. Hell 75% of the uninformed player base still thinks Haste Samba lowers TP gain. Ive seen numerous SAMS bitch about DNC in the party because it would ruin their 5 hit builds >.> .

Its a lot like PUP I have been out healed by a pup on my RDM (in terms of longevity) I have seen PUPs out nuke BLM's and Our damage RNG's. But people still think they are LOL due to popularity. A well played PUP and well geared PUP is awesome and on of the most powerful classes in the game, and one of the most versatile.

Stigmas hold jobs back and hold the game back. Like I said before my static SAM/SAM/RDM/DNC/COR/BRD (the first 5 which DD and support together as a team) gets 25-30K/hr. That is as good as top tier (non AF or Chigoe) groups that go 3xDD BRD.COR,RDM. The best part is we all have fun, and we all push each other. The SAMS take note at the end of parties when I am at 25% of damage done and they are under 30%, I take note when the DNC is healing more then me. I suppose I am just lucky to find a group that all push each other and we all hone our skills together.

But back t my original point, it is a two way street, if you are seeking as RDM/WHM and get invited you are expected to main heal, only you can make them know what you want to do. If you want to melee seek as RDM/DNC or RDM/NIN or the like, and when they ask you to /WHM or /SCH and main heal, it is on you to say OK, or can you find a healer or someone I can split with, that is what I did and it is why I have nearly 4 years of RDM Hybrid (read support/melee) experience...

It is a 2 party thing, yes anyone can do what they want, but common courtesy of stating your intentions is nice too.

sig courtesy tgm
    retired -08

Comment

While it certainly is common courtesy to let your intents be known, it's humorous that in the majority case, the only way people will react to underperformance in their party will be to rant to their LS and to their favorite online forum about it, never to the person that they wish to change. I don't believe people are as serious as they claim that "Slow EXP is better than no EXP", evident by all the parties unwilling to party on anything other than Greater Colibri or without a BRD...or COR...or BRD+COR. If so, then why not go the next step and just kick people that aren't living up to your expectations?

I know some people are thinking "Yeah, easy for you to say. You're a RDM. You can spit on any merit party's face you want. I have to seek for 5 hours." My response: One of my other jobs says "No invites? Oh no, what a nightmare!"

This raise in level cap has brought back a lot of the unsolicited party invites to my RDM. I make my intents known. And if they are so desperate they would take me anyway...well...that's not my problem now is it.
      sigpic

Comment

I totally agree with the hilarity of the repercussions that occur. It is also one of the biggest reason I say no to SMN burns on hybrid jobs. It is also one of the biggest detractors of Hybrids in general. The majority of people just assume that a SMN can't DD (ie. Melee + BP ) while offering support, because all they have ever heard or seen is SMN as a main healer. Most people don't realize a RDM can put up decnet numbers while melee or nuking because most people have only ever heard seen or played as a main healer. Most people have no idea a BLU/WHM could main heal a party (especially now with self refresh) or support heal, the have only ever seen them as MP sink who offer mediocre damage overall in comparison to heavy DD's, most people still think a DNC haste samba lowers TP gains, most people thing a DNC can't DD well enough to warrant a DD party spot.

Most people also thought DRG was lolDRG for 4 years. Most people also though a RDM couldn't tank, most people also thought a DRK was only good for zergs, most people still think PUP is utter shit.

Most people either
        1) do not understand the full capabilities of said jobs (or their own main jobs)
        2) do not offer advice or teach people how to play said job in said way
        3) do not mention o said job they need to prioritize certain things above others
        4) expect to much of said job
        5) all of the above

sadly the majority falls in category 5.

I am not saying RDM/WHM is terrible or SMN/WHM is terrible or a DNC who prioritzes healing is bad or a BLU who only sets DD spells is bad. The whole point of being a hybrid (ie. a support job who supplements both healing and damage dealt) is to be a hybrid when the situation arises. All of these jobs listed and a couple more (COR, BRD, SCH to name a few) all have the traits to fill that odd role in a party where you need healing and supplemented damage. I have been teaching an saying for years not everything is a TP burn, not everything can be solo healed, and here we are.

It wasn't easy for me to break the stigma in my LS but I stuck to my guns in situations where it applied. I never did silly things like claim I could main heal a meripo as a melee RDM (although I did eventually do it as RDM/DNC after I got my joyeuse to under 2 second attack speed) all I told my LS was that I will be meleeing if my MP is steady and i find myself standing around. What started simply as a supplement of damage while I was doing nothing else turned into a passion for making myself better, it eventually led to my current static which has been together (minus my 2 year break) for nearly 4 years. We removed the WHM/NIN for a DNC/NIN and we all could not be happier.

The real problem is people who will not call another out, will not say can you do this, instead the bitch elsewhere. Being a hybrid is tough, you need to watch your support and your DD. IMO it is the most immersed role to play in the game, it requires focus and know how. Sadly the focus is lost because no one knows what to focus on, and the know how is lost because no one is teaching.

I used to try and explain things here, but I gave up there are to many of the "mostly" crowd. On Alla I got my point across a long time ago (i have since been banned) but the discussions and positions I took several years ago are still being modified and perfected today. Hell I spent several months solely trying to figure out how much enhncing magic and Macc effected enspells acc (1:1 and 1:1) which made the Chasbule /+1 body become one of the better bodies to wear (previously regarded as trash) I took time to weight all the potential melee bodies, the rings, the necks the earrings to diversify the potential best items for each situation. As it stood last month pre update, my gear selections (outside of crazy shit like morigans) were being used in some part by any RDM that was interested in increasing their potential.

This is stuff that I took pride in learning, as have others, but the lack of knowledge of it in comparison to say, a SAM 5-hit or the like is the reason most RDM's who try and melee are utter shit, the second reason is the first few lines in the previous post, people rarely tell the person what would make them better at that task, instead the just bitch to friends or forums.

The most = #5 but you can thank ToAU for that, pre ToAU the hybrids had a place, now they are regaining their foot there.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

on a side note after rereading my past post I notice that post much more civilized when drunk....... please carry on.

sig courtesy tgm
        retired -08

Comment

Working...
        X