SMN/DNC for Damage Dealing, Pulling, & Healing Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMN/DNC for Damage Dealing, Pulling, & Healing Assistance

My level sync parties (Lv25-45) have seen easy access to a main healer or parties where one isn't needed (PLD+2xDD/DNC), so I've been inviting SMN primarily for damage dealing, pulling, and healing assistance.

Even in a party taking significant damage, DNC SJ seems to provide 33% of the healing needed. What do you think about SMN/DNC? Would you use it over SMN/WHM for times when you can keep your pet out or DD with Blood Pact: Rage?

Some Numbers to Consider
    Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM.

Re: SMN/DNC for Damage Dealing, Pulling, & Healing Assistance

Damage Dealt = 4.62*60*0.95+Carbuncle DoT = 263.34 DMG + Carbuncle DoT
    This formula does not really represent damage (much less the SMN-to-Carbuncle damage ratio) in any way since Attack/Defense isn't factored in. Also, perfect hit rate is impossible at Level 30 in a normal party without some really heavy, fucked up support (BRD + COR?)

Not to mention the fact that Summoning in itself takes a lengthy amount of time...a minimum of 7 seconds from what I understand, so that's 14 secs every time you switch from Carbuncle to Shiva and back.

If you ask me this won't really fly very well until around 50 when you can really start reaping the benefits of Accuracy foods, in addition to having access to Life Belt and Accuracy Rings (which are mandatory if you're even considering pulling this off.)

Comment

Not to mention that, hey look at that, a SAM/DNC can actually do all three of those things much better.

Shame that Summoners have crap for melee stats and the second best INT and MND in the game when the latter mean diddly-squat and you can't rest with a summon out, anyway.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Sorry for the way I conveyed the original post. I was just looking for some thoughts from others on an alternate play style. The biggest fault I find for SMN as melee DD/support is staff DoT. SMN/WHM meleeing with Carbuncle out and doing weak WS seems like such a waste, but that is usually what I end up with whenever I invite one. However, Summoners usually do a fantastic job pulling, which tends to make the parties great.

Armando is absolutely right though about the DMG numbers. I was just haphazardly throwing out a number since it really didn't matter without knowing the avatar base damage and delay. Originally I wrote down damage numbers to compare against a Military Axe (5.82 DPS) or Blood Pact: Rage if I could get numbers for Double Punch and Carbuncle DoT.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I just play to have fun and form parties out of whoever is seeking. So far I've only gotten complements on how remarkably successful my strange parties have been (>6k xp per hour).

Here are just a few of the odd yet successful parties I've had since I started play again (RDM/DNC or DNC/NIN):

Lv25-28 (Yuhtunga Jungle Mandragora and Goblins)
        WAR/MNK (tank), DNC/NIN (main healer), DRK/NIN (puller), RDM/WHM (regen), SCH/RDM (nuking), WAR/NIN (backup tank)

Lv33-36 (Garliage Citidel Siege Bats and Borer Beetles)
        DNC/NINx2 (tanking and healing), RDM/WHM (dispel, regen, and enfeebles), BST/NIN (pulling), MNK/WAR, SAM/WAR

Lv41-45 (Crawlers' Next Soldier Crawlers and Blazer Beetles)
        BST/WHMx2 (DD/healing), RDM/DNC (healing, enfeebling, refreshing), THF/NIN (pulling), SAM/WAR (tanking), BLU/NIN

Lv41-45 (Crawlers' Next Soldier Crawlers and Blazer Beetles)
        WAR/NIN (tanking), BLU/NIN (often also tanking), RDM/DNC (healing and dispel), RDM/WHM (enfeebling, regen, & refresh), BRD/NIN (pulling), MNK/WAR

Lv45-47 (Crawlers' Next Rumble Crawlers and Blazer Beetles)
        PLD/WAR (tanking), RDM/DNC (healing, enfeebling, refreshing), SMN/WHM (meleeing and pulling with carbuncle always out), MNK/WAR, SAM/WAR, DRG/NIN
        Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 07-21-2009, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryoii/Nonomii View Post
          SMN/WHM meleeing with Carbuncle out and doing weak WS seems like such a waist,
          And not a particularly attractive one, at that.

Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.

Comment

Crawler Evasion & Defense

Lv37-41 - Yuhtunga Jungle - Soldier Crawler

Lv40-44 - Crawlers' Nest - Worker Crawler

Lv47-49 - Crawlers' Nest - Soldier Crawler

Lv53-55 - Crawlers' Nest - Rumble Crawler

Hit Rate Analysis

Calculations

Lv30 SMN/DNC v. Lv37 Soldier Crawler = 71% Hit Rate (DEX+13, Bream Sushi)
            Lv40 SMN/DNC v. Lv47 Soldier Crawler = 81% Hit Rate (Tilt Belt, Woodsman Rings, DEX+8, Bream Sushi)
            Lv48 SMN/DNC v. Lv55 Rumble Crawler = 81.5% Hit Rate (Life Belt, Woodsman Rings, DEX+8, Bream Sushi)

As Armando pointed out, this definitely isn't a 95% hit rate. I would not have guessed accuracy would be so low with sushi.

In a trio fighting tough enemies, you'll probably see 95% hit rate. Perhaps Lv60 will also bring a higher hit rate (DNC accuracy bonus, chivalrous chain, and increased skill will all help sushi).
            Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 07-22-2009, 12:07 AM.

Comment

SMN/SCH with dark arts and do decent magic damage instead
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Hmm, SMN/SCH as magic DD, puller, and support. Seems odd at first, but I think I like it more than SMN/DNC. They could even have Carbuncle melee while nuking or pull with the avatar they plan to use for the blood pact to save casting time. I suppose they would summon, pull, blood pact, regen, nuke, dismiss, rest, and repeat.

Lv24 - Aero
                Lv32 - Fire
                Lv34 - Cure II
                Lv36 - Regen
                Lv40 - Blizzard
                Lv42 - Drain
                Lv48 - Thunder
                Lv60 - Sleep
                Lv60 - Stone II
                Lv60 - Cure III
                Lv64 - Dispel

However, I did some calculations, and my Lv48 WAR/DNC using a Viking Axe only has an 88% hit rate with Bream Sushi while tanking Lv55 Rumble Crawlers, so an 81% hit rate isn't too bad.
                Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Sleep and Dispel require Addendum: Black, which somewhat cuts against the curing and regen idea. Also, your nukes will be small, even though not necessarily heavily resisted.

Don't forget Level 70 Raise, Reraise, Sublimation, and Level 74 Regen II.

Oh, and aspir, if the mob type allows it. I forget the exact level, but it's higher than drain.
                  Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                  RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                  All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

SMN/DNC for the fail. FTF

SMN/SCH FTOIG (for the OK I guess...)

SCH gets MAB doesn't it? Which makes better sense than /WHM...
                    °·-._.-·°¤.-º°`¨·¥|Kageshinhiryu|¥·¨`°º-.¤°·-._.-·°
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT IS MORPHING TIME!"
                    sigpic

http://guildwork.com/u/kageshinhiryu

THIS LOOKS AWESOMESAUCE: http://www.deusex.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowHolyFlyingDragon View Post
                      SCH gets MAB doesn't it?
                      No I don't believe they do. They do get every other mage-relevant trait. But since we're dealing with Summoner here, two of those traits are already present (and like traits don't stack), and the other two are almost-always tragically irrelevant.

That aside, I am a firm supporter of the SMN/SCH combination. Hint: you usually don't sub it for the traits so much as the native magic tricks. And Sublimation. The traits are really just icing that comes with the cake.

One more thing: if you're going to nuke, first gear for it, then Drain. Accept no substitutes. If you're fighting undead it's probably best not to bother.
                      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

Comment

SMN/SCH is more useful as a healer than as a DD. SMN is not a DD job. You cannot make a job into something else just by wishing it.

SMN/SCH gives: Scholar Support Job - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

Among other things:

MP Recovery:
                        Sublimation
                        Aspir

Buffs & Curatives
                        Regen II
                        Reraise
                        -na spells through Cursna
                        Cure I, II, & III
                        Raise
                        Sneak/Invisible

Utlility Spells
                        Dispel
                        Sleep

Nukes are meager at best.

/SCH is inferior to /WHM for most lower level ranges because of /SCH's slow Cure spell progression, and only really comes into its own after Sublimation at 70th level.

Comment

A long long time ago in a time when partying with friends was more commonplace (perhaps I am remembering it more fondly than it really was) I was partying on my Summoner in Crawler's Nest fighting the crawlers in the lower level. Since I was with friends and they didn't mind a little experimentation (sp?) I was meleeing with a decent staff, doing stoneskin and then a fenrir rage blood pact. Now I had no way of knowing what my actual numbers were, but for me on that day it seemed better for me to rest between pacts, do some back up cure, and let my avatars do the occasional damage. That was probably the day I fully resigned myself to the fact that I would be a Buffer, Damage Dealer (through avatars), and Backup Cure when I was in parties.

YM already said it, but I will repeat it here, that time between pacts when you can rest and get mp back is too valuable to spend on meleeing. An idea like this might be okay in the lower levels, but I won't recommend trying to do it. If a Summoner wants to use their staff to hit stuff they should either solo or go to campaign. Oh and if you for-go eating hMP food for Acc food you are only cheating yourself out of doing more blood pacts.

That is my two gil, which probably isn't worth that much.

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
                          SMN is not a DD job.
                          Yes it is. However, it does not make a great Melee job.
                          "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

well when I mentioned /SCH, I ment is at dark arts > nuke, would be better then anything /DNC would do -.-

your a SMN, you dont melee
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                              well when I mentioned /SCH, I ment is at dark arts > nuke, would be better then anything /DNC would do -.-
                              Because Stone II at Lv.60 is just that impressive? Or perhaps you were thinking about Water II at Lv.75?
                              Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                              yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                              Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                              leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Working...
                              X