Thief soloing avatars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief soloing avatars

Which of the avatar boss fights can be soloed by a THF? All but Fenrir, Leviathan, and Diabolis?
    75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
    RANK 10 Bastok
    CoP: Done
    ZM: Done
    ToA: Done
    Assault rank: Captain
    Campaign Medal: Medals
    Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
    This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Re: Thief soloing avatars

I'm sorry, but I have never heard of a thief soloing avatars. I think I would even need to look that one up.

I've only really heard of level 75 smn's soloing avatars, I'm not sure about any of the others doing that. Sorry.
    Hacked on 9/9/09
    FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Plenty of people solo avatars. I've soloed all 6 basic avatars on my PLD/RDM. NINs and THFs can too I believe.

I think THF can solo any of the basic 6 elemental avatars, provided that you resist the Astral Flow. That's the only real major risk of death there, I think.

Comment

Hmm. Yeah I suppose. Having the right equipment vs. Avatar would help.

I don't have a level 75 thief to try, any out there wanna give it a shot?
        It's all the Terrestial Avatars that you can solo, Fenrir & Diabolos are really doubtful.
        Hacked on 9/9/09
        FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

I have heard of SMN, BST, RDM, NIN, and PLD soloing the Avatars before, but not THF. I don't see why you can't try though. Bring loads of meds, methinks.
          FFXIV Balmung Server
          Tenro Matashi
          PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

A THF probably doesn't need much beyond Au Laits and MAYBE 2-3 potions. The basic avatars are only like level 65 - a THF/NIN can blink tank them with extreme ease, pretty much screwing them out of their damage. The real danger is getting an unlucky nonresisted Astral Flow and getting 1-shotted.

A single-wielded Sirocco Kukri would go a long way towards killing Titan faster, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
              The basic avatars are only like level 65
              Yeah, that is right. I was thinking they were 75 for some reason. THF/NIN sounds much more plausable against a 65 Avatar. Is there any way for a THF to Stun/Sleep/otherwise interupt Astral Flow, or is it instant cast?
              FFXIV Balmung Server
              Tenro Matashi
              PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Well, as of Wednesday, I now have a fully equipped Homam THF and i think i might try some this weekend. Haven't gotten the body or head, but I think I have better pieces of equipment to fill those slots...

I heard Leviathan was not soloable because his attacks go through shadows. I also have a 75 pld, so I was wondering if Leviathan was soloable with pld. According to Armandos previous post, I'm guess the answer is yes.

What was the gameplan in that fight Armando? Phlanx, stoneskin, blink at beginning. Then recast Phlanx when it wears? Save Rampart for when they astral flow, or can you not really tell when that happens? I'm guessing you ate sushi.
                75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                RANK 10 Bastok
                CoP: Done
                ZM: Done
                ToA: Done
                Assault rank: Captain
                Campaign Medal: Medals
                Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Yeah, that is right. I was thinking they were 75 for some reason. THF/NIN sounds much more plausable against a 65 Avatar. Is there any way for a THF to Stun/Sleep/otherwise interupt Astral Flow, or is it instant cast?
                  Avatars are immune to status ailments that don't correspond to their weakness, so there's no real way of stunning them. Under normal circumstances you can't run away from Astral Flow, but if a THF starts running while fighting (go into first-person mode, unlock from the mob, run backwards - you'll go at full speed but continue to attack the mob) at 50%, and hits a gear-swap Flee macro as Astral Flow starts to go off, he could probably get away.
                  I heard Leviathan was not soloable because his attacks go through shadows. I also have a 75 pld, so I was wondering if Leviathan was soloable with pld. According to Armandos previous post, I'm guess the answer is yes.

What was the gameplan in that fight Armando? Phlanx, stoneskin, blink at beginning. Then recast Phlanx when it wears? Save Rampart for when they astral flow, or can you not really tell when that happens? I'm guessing you ate sushi.
                  I just wear them down. Start off with Aquaveil, Blink, Stoneskin, Barelement, Barstatusailment (where applicable), Enspell, Phalanx, and Regen. I try to keep Stoneskin up 24/7 even if it means recasting before my current Stoneskin is broken, since Stoneskin is more MP-efficient than curing, and also keeps my Parade Gorget going and keeps me safe from one-shot deaths. I also recast Phalanx, Enspells, and Barelements before they actually wear because bad things happen when they go down. I try to Regen off any damage I take since it's more MP-efficient than straight curing.

I save Rampart and Sentinel for emergencies (Rampart is particularly valuable since the bulk of an avatar's damage comes from it's added effect elemental damage.) I generally have Stoneskin up when Astral Flow goes off, and you can't use Rampart while Stoneskin up. However, even without Stoneskin it's pretty safe for me to take Astral Flow to the face - between the level difference, the Barspell, Shell III, and /RDM's Magic Defense Bonus, I generally only take 50-300 damage. Bad things happen if you get caught without your barspell though. And not just with Astral Flows - Garuda once hit me with an unresisted ~600 damage Aero IV. Being able to resist their magic damage is critical for these fights, so never let your barspell drop. Recast early if you don't know when it'll wear. It's a split-second cast anyways.

I don't eat sushi because there's no way a 75 can have Acc problems against them. I don't eat meat because they have insane melee resistance anyways. I don't eat Defense food because I'm cheap and the bulk of their damage is magical anyways. Ideally I would be eating some kind of MP food, but like I said I'm cheap and I enjoy the challenge of trying to kill them without meds and food.

HOWEVER, I have Joyeuse and Atonement. With the length of those fights (about 10 minutes) I can fire off 6-9 Atonements in a single fight, and by the 3rd they're all hitting for 720. This greatly speeds up the fight. If you don't have Atonement, there's a good chance they'll exhaust your MP before the fight's over - you'll want to have MP food, juices, and au laits to keep yourself from running out.

Leviathan has come pretty close to wearing me down a couple of times because he'll use Spring Water 3-5 times, and that drags on the fight. If I stopped being stubborn and brought a juice or two along, though, he would be cake.

I also recommend moving while fighting constantly (as described above, 1st person view, unlock, run backwards, preferably in a circle unless you're trying to escape Astral Flow on THF - then you would want to be running up/down the path between the entrance and the arena, so you have room to escape) since this can cause many moves to fail by being out of range.
                  Last edited by Armando; 01-16-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

A THF on Seraph managed to solo Fenrir so... anything's possible?
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I've seen a THF solo the original avatars.
                      Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                      Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                      Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                      Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                      Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Not to discredit him or anything but if I remember right the THF that soloed Fenrir used plenty of meds. It's a great accomplishment for sure, but it probably can't be done without meds (or someone else probably would've succeeded by now.)

Comment

Working...
                        X