Magus Sisters are the New Avatars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magus Sisters are the New Avatars?

Saw the thread over at BG, and figured it is worth a discussion here.

Magus Sisters in FFXI? - Order of the Blue Gartr

For those who don't want to go to that forum, this image is from Dissidia:

It looks like pretty convincing evidence to me. What do you guys think?

ETA: Reading other sites like JPButton, there is a lot of controversy over this idea. Personally, I think the Shikaree sisters were a homage to the Magus Sisters, but I don't think they're close enough to exclude them from becoming Avatars.
    Last edited by Illuen; 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM.

Re: Magus Sisters are the New Avatars?

If they list X-2 for other characters, then it could just be a typo as others said. Those are the character models for X, wouldn't SE use the most recent models (XI) instead if they were going to show in XI?

I really don't see SE goofing and revealing something like this in an unrelated game before announcing it for XI.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

According to the BG forumgoers, FFX-2 doesn't have any credits in the gallery where this came from. I also think the thought process of "SE thought they'd have them out in FFXI by the time Dissidia came out" rings true. They've been discussing putting in more avatars for a while now. If they thought that they'd be in by the time Dissidia came out, I could see them giving the green light for that.

It just seems to me that the Shikaree sisters are far too tenuous a connection to be considered the Magus Sisters of FFXI.

Comment

We aren't seriously discussing this, are we?

/groan

/facepalm
        Originally posted by Armando
        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
        Matthew 16:15

Comment

I don't know the history behind the Magus Sisters or what kind of lore would prevent the addition of all-new avatars but if Dissidia credits XI then I suppose it's possible.

Comment

Shoot me now
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I'm not overly in favor of these if they are the new summons, but I guess we'll just see. I will say that the concept behind them is interesting from what I remember, I'd just favor other summons.

What with the insect motif I wonder if they'll tie them in with the Antica somehow.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                Shoot me now
                With gusto!

/ra Malacite

*miss*

. . .

Darn stupid no native Ranged skill on Paladin . . .
                Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.

Comment

I remember they using the word "big" to describe the new summonable avatar.

They also say the new summonable avatars would be quite different from the usual. This could be what they're referring to.

I actually like them.
                  signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Man, I got about halfway through the BG thread you linked and just wanted to beat everyone involved with a stick. I realize that some of you from this board are also on that one, and I'm very disappointed in the lot of you. Beatings all around! Even Spira, and I used to like that guy... Lemme 'splain where you just ended up: You know that crazy uncle of yours who collects baseball cards, memorizes the stats and pretends to be a "fan" instead of a "huge, flaming nerd"? Yeah, you're all turning into that guy.

1. "X is possible!"
                    2. "X can't possibly be possible, because Y is in game..."
                    3. Proponents of X and Y debate each other in an upward spiraling dance of "no one gives a rat's $@# about X and Y anymore".

The debate is pointless, since we can't know for sure what's going on in the first place. Those of you disagreeing with me have just left out the most important element, Z. Z is what we'll label the element of "batshit insanity". Z has been applicable to an ever growing portion of dev team decisions... let's review:

1. We get the original game, (ok, so Japan gets original game), it's cool, everyone really doesn't expect much in the way of expansions.

2. RoZ comes out, (along with US version), now we get additions to the north and south of the map. We get the Galkan Homeland, and what we think is the Mithran Homeland, (though we find out in other expansions this isn't the case).

3. In analyzing RoZ, we come to the conclusion that the next expansion is probably going include the Northlands, since we know both Orcs and Gigas aren't native to Quon and come from some mysterious place up there. BUT NO! Element Z raises it's head here and we get a different expansion, this one free, called Dynamis... which isn't anywhere on the map, its the world of DREAMS. Seriously, Dreams, how do you predict that?

4. The first real landmass expansion after RoZ comes along with CoP. CoP adds a few islands comprising two zones, an addition to Buburimu Penninsula, and a bunch of zones that aren't even on the same planet anymore, (sea and empty). Again, when do you predict we're leaving the planet in an expansion? Let's not get into Dreamworld Dynamis, which is even more of the same.

But, Zerl, I hear people say, this isn't the case! (Go, voices in my head!) Element Z can't apply to everything! You're right, it doesn't apply to Diabolos like Fenrir before him, he's the first and one of the only cases we don't have that. We see him in a summoning circle in his CS, the CSs tell us he's a special type of avatar, and bingo, now we have a quest to summon him. But now we're right back to Z...

5. Next expansion should logically be either N (Orcs/Gigas again), S (Mithran Homeland), or E (Tenzen's home). We have references to all of these places in the storyline. Nope, everyone's wrong, we're going to to Aht Urghan. This only mildly makes sense since apparently Tenzen's at war with AU. Brand new landmasses, but we only see half of it, and not the part we were expecting with the Japanese theme. We get new jobs that weren't hinted at before and don't seem to make sense in the grand scheme. We get new enemies that only kinda/sorta relate to old ones. It's basically a mess. But hey, we find out who the two missing celestial avatars are, right? Right?

6. Well now, the next expansion is clearly going to one of the missing areas, right? No, now we're going to the past. THE FREAKIN' PAST! Seriously, who's downing 20 bottles of sake and dreaming these things up? We get two new jobs that make about as much sense as the last ones... yeah. New zones are retcons of old zones, or blocked off areas that connect to them.

7. New expansion... clearly the spirit world. We haven't been there yet. New job will be Soul Reaper, Dynamis zone will be called Heuco Mundo, and Ichigo and Rukia will be your main NPCs. It'll be awesome, especially the new riatsu based battlefields...

What irks me about these threads is that we're going around applying logic to a giant trainwreck of a development process which seems to include nothing of the sort. There isn't a logical trail that sets up the expansions so far. It shouldn't be a surprise that we're not seeing much logic with Avatar inclusion so far. I mean, WoTG added Cait Sith and Atomos which weren't even in the storyline up to that point. They're not celestial or terrestrial avatars, instead composing some new weird category of "fevered sake dream" avatars. At this point, I'm seriously expecting to summon Shoe. That's right, Shoe. It doesn't do anything, just drops a giant Shoe out of the sky, does about 1k dmg to the enemy and then sits there draining away my mp til I release it. No BPs, no spells, just WHAMMO! and nothing. Hell, it'd make about as much sense as the rest of the decisions...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

Originally posted by Kitalrez View Post
                      7. New expansion... clearly the spirit world. We haven't been there yet. New job will be Soul Reaper, Dynamis zone will be called Heuco Mundo, and Ichigo and Rukia will be your main NPCs. It'll be awesome, especially the new riatsu based battlefields...
                      This part . Thank you, very entertaining.
                      "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

At this point, I'm seriously expecting to summon Shoe. That's right, Shoe. It doesn't do anything, just drops a giant Shoe out of the sky, does about 1k dmg to the enemy and then sits there draining away my mp til I release it. No BPs, no spells, just WHAMMO! and nothing. Hell, it'd make about as much sense as the rest of the decisions about Summoner...
                        FTFY.
                        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

Comment

What irks me about these threads is that we're going around applying logic to a giant trainwreck of a development process which seems to include nothing of the sort.
                          This is perhaps the best summary of our Dev Team ever. You win the internetz
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Kitalrez, I bow to your wisdomness.

I'm seriously expecting to summon Shoe. That's right, Shoe. It doesn't do anything, just drops a giant Shoe out of the sky, does about 1k dmg to the enemy and then sits there draining away my mp til I release it. No BPs, no spells, just WHAMMO! and nothing. Hell, it'd make about as much sense as the rest of the decisions...
                            It has been a long time since I ACTUALLY laughed out loud in front of my computer.

You are so very right and I wish I could give you a million thanks.

Me, I just went to the JPButton website and stopped reading half-way through the post.
                            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Illuen View Post
                              According to the BG forumgoers, FFX-2 doesn't have any credits in the gallery where this came from. I also think the thought process of "SE thought they'd have them out in FFXI by the time Dissidia came out" rings true. They've been discussing putting in more avatars for a while now. If they thought that they'd be in by the time Dissidia came out, I could see them giving the green light for that.

It just seems to me that the Shikaree sisters are far too tenuous a connection to be considered the Magus Sisters of FFXI.
                              The Shikaree sisters have the same weapons and one of them has the same damn name as the original Magus sisters. That's not tenuous at all, that's a direct link.

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                              I don't know the history behind the Magus Sisters or what kind of lore would prevent the addition of all-new avatars but if Dissidia credits XI then I suppose it's possible.
                              They were a boss in IV where one had a Scythe, another had a Spear and the third had a Dagger. You had to kill em all within XX turns or they'll start raising each other or something. Then they showed up again in X as the final and strongest summon...with no rhyme or reason. Oh and they were bugs. That's about the extent of their story.
                              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Working...
                              X