Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey im Smn lvl 15.....i was wondering if i should go through the process of getting ALOT of fame and wasting my whole life getting the fame or spend hours on end hunting down the avatars in a horribly insane expensive 20 capped solo 15 min fight...... FYI im also poor having only 5.3k on meh and not really wanting to spend it......btw i can live with only getting one avatar for a while.....u know....till later when i get bored of him/her......wich wont be for a while XDD
    sigpic

Re: Avatar collection advice

SMN isn't a job you just casually play, unfortunately. It is preferred by most players that you have as many summons as you can at your disposal. Garuda, Titan, Fenrir and Diabolos in particular give workwhile buffs to the PT and also have some good offensive pacts.

You could do the Trial-size fights, but it doesn't sound like you've got the gil to invest and may wish to find a job that makes you some gill better than WHM or SMN would. A lot of players take other jobs up to high levels and do the 60+ fights to unlock them more quickly, then repeat to challenge Fenrir. You'll still face quite a bit of fame spam no matter which route you take.

Also, if you want Diabolos, you're going to need to progress through CoP missions and beat Diabolos once to challenge him at full power. So, as you can see, reaching your full potential as SMN takes a bit of work.

My advice would be to set SMN aside for a bit and try out what the other jobs have to offer. You may find a job you like better than SMN and then you could use that job to unlock the avatars for your SMN with less frustration.

Comment

IMO, seems its best not to have SMN as your first job to 75. Granted, it can be done, and many people do, but just all the high level fights, and getting all the avatars. Granted you can do minis at 20 (unlike when I got the avatars ) but, you'll still be missing Fenrir and Diabolos. Diabolos isn't really great at that low levels, but Fenrir is.

Anyway, for dunes and qufim levels I HIGHLY suggest Ramuh, his Thunderspark destroys Crabs and Pugils at that level.
      Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
      Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
      Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
      Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
      Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Hmm my advice is since i pretty much went through the same shit as you is, dont play smn as first advanced job or better the first job u take to 75.
        You can rack up pretty fair amounts of gil if u check for questable itmes (most likely scrolls) but also from experience i dont recomend doin this for it will hinder you starting a new job e.g Ninja if u sold Utsu and then u need to get a load of money back to rebuy something you could have just quested.

Dont get me wrong, i enjoyed SMN and still enjoy it but getting through this Job w/o a powerful Friend or a helpful LS is pretty hard.

The 20 capped fights are pretty hard BUT u dont need to spend that much money.
        I also recomend, not to heavily depend on the guides, for they totally did not work for me. I let carby melee to death a few times and then used Astral flow, i came up to an average of 10-12 min a fight but it was easier for me since i basically never got hit except things went pretty bad.

And getting back to your question at lvl 20 its a MUST to have at least the Elemental Avatars (also referred as Celestial) at 60 you should try obtain Fenrir latest.
        Diabolos well, i think hes pretty crappy but an eyecatcher and powerful in certain situations but hes not to important.
        FEAR THE POWER OF A SUMMONER

- everytime a SMN has to mainheal a Galka rapes a Moogle -

Comment

Your sig is disturbing Kardor. O_o

This may or may not work for you, but if you can manage to get to the cloisters, you can probably leech the wins from some 75s. A lot of jobs can duo or even solo the primes and of course you'd still get the win. Naturally, the hard part is getting there, but you've got WHM I'm assuming so you can sneak/invis yourself to those zones with the help of your high level buddies.

You will have to get some fame to be able to accept the quests, but most of the places aren't hard to get some fame in. Norg might be the only one which is problematic, but it sucks for everyone, and it's something we all have to go through.

Of course, this advice is moot if you don't have any high level friends, but if you do (perhaps some in your linkshell) you might try asking if they'd be up for some Prime fights. They're pretty easy to do at 75 (I've duoed them many times, haven't yet tried solo but I bet I wouldn't have too much difficulty there) and there are still rewards to get even after you've gotten the ability to summon the avatar, so there's always some incentive to go out there and smash Ifrit's head in. You could even listen around towns for people shouting and see if anyone would be willing to let you come leech, as long as they're not desperately in need of 6/6 useful people (only reason this would be is if they didn't have anyone at 75 or something) they'd probably agree as long as you can manage to safely get yourself there. Those zones have aggro to people at 75 so the "getting there safely" thing is kind of a moot point, since your whole party will need sneak/invis through most zones.

I'd be glad to help you get the avatars that way, you're not on my server but I'm sure you could find someone.

Personally I never tried the mini fights, they seem like more hassle than they're worth. Without a lot of gil they'll be tough to pull off, I've heard they're quite an investment and if you die, you've basically wasted a ton of gil. (Not really a "ton" but a lot for someone at your level.) It wouldn't hurt to try one and if you think you can get the win go for more, but I don't think it's the best way.

Parties probably won't expect all avatars until the 20's, and even then you won't be summoning that much. If you're new people will understand, though you'll definitely be expected to have all of the six primes and Fenrir by 37 (at the latest!), and Diabolos by ... 40~45ish? Not sure on that one. So if you don't think you can at least get the primes, you might want to hold off on Summoner for a while.
          sigpic
          ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
          ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
          ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
          ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Don't worry about famespam. I only had to do it once-- the obligatory "People in Norg really really really like talking about necklaces" endeavor.

You'd be amazed how much fame you'll get just by finishing simple quests. Go through your quest log, finish as many as possible, when you're done go look up more quests you can do and finish them too. It's so much more rewarding than burning money doing the same quest over and over.

I have to second the opinion that you should do another job until you can unlock more avatars, though. Your WHM is at 30-- you'll need that at 37 eventually, so you might as well work on it. Maybe look for a job that takes little gil to level (decently), and do that to get something higher up that you can use for farming.

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
              Your sig is disturbing Kardor. O_o
              I find it is appropriate. >:3

As for the OP, Summoner is quite unfortunately not a very newbie-friendly job, and already having another job at 75 is practically a prerequisite. Sorry.
              Originally posted by Armando
              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
              Matthew 16:15

Comment

Yellow mage is always a crappy job to level. There is never a good time for it.
                Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Susurrus View Post
                  Yellow mage is always a crappy job to level. There is never a good time for it.
                  Hah! I know that all too well!
                  Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                  GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.

Comment

Thx for the advice.....my plan of action now would be to just trade 3 rabbit hides to the guy in Sandy to get Sandy fame......get shiva....(i have a TON of lvl 75 friends XD) and then prolly go back to working on Whm ^.^

(fyi i thought ur sig was funny ; ; )

Im always good for advice and everything so plz add me if u want to ^.^
                    sigpic

Comment

Shiva's pretty useless.

Also, with the fame you need for Shiva, you also get Rabao fame automatically, and you should be able to get Garuda as well, who is arguably the most useful avatar out there.

Retired.

Comment

Oh wow really?......so by doing the rabbit hide quest over and over again i'm able to get Rabao fame too? Y(^.^)Y hooray!! So any other good easy ways to get fame?.....other than the "only the best" quest?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                          Hah! I know that all too well!
                          I'd say Yellow Mage is even more useless than a BRD's pet charm'd w/ that song that does it o_O.

Retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshadow123 View Post
                            Oh wow really?......so by doing the rabbit hide quest over and over again i'm able to get Rabao fame too? Y(^.^)Y hooray!! So any other good easy ways to get fame?.....other than the "only the best" quest?
                            Quick Reputation - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

Really good resource right there.
                            sigpic
                            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Susurrus View Post
                              I'd say Yellow Mage is even more useless than a BRD's pet charm'd w/ that song that does it o_O.
                              You're a mean one Sursurrus.

(Don't ask me why, but the way this post was formatted made me think of that.)
                              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X