summoner or blackmage fight styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• summoner or blackmage fight styles

i'm just starting back into ffxi after a long break.

I'm not sure whether or not I want to play blm or smn or rdm as a main....

I've got a good idea of how RDM and BLM work but I know very little about SMN except that the summons look cool.

Are they primarily damage dealers, what style damage (nuke, dot, etc), and any other info you think would be pertinent to know would be MOST appreciated.

I'm trying to decide because I'm not sure if I want to focus on whm or blm for my second job (currently running my first job to 20 as RDM).

THANKS!

Re: summoner or blackmage fight styles

Invited as a healer and buffer via avatars in parties. You may come across the chance to play as a damage dealer with your avatars. But, I'll leave this dicussion to the rest of the summoners, but that's just the vibe in our once 12-15 SMN LS.

Then used for spike damage dealing at events via your powerful blood pacts, which are more or less hate free. A bit like a nuke.
    [LadyKiKi]
    Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
    .:|The Prototype BST|:.
    Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Summoner is kind of an odd job. You will need to sub whm or sch and heal. Parties will expect you to be a support job fairly often.

However, if you are in a party that already has plenty of support then you're there as a damage dealer.

In my opinion summoners should always be adding damage to a party even if they are in a supprt role. Heal and buff, and while that avatar is out buffing throw in some damage, then unsummon.

It can be difficult to master the strategies of being a summoner - when to rest, heal, summon, attack or buff.

A summoner can be either a very poor damage or support addition to a party, or a great damage and support addition to a party depending on who is playing the summoner.

That's just my opinion, of course... but summoner is my favorite job for these reasons.
      ~Zozor!

Comment

Originally posted by papabear151 View Post
        I'm not sure whether or not I want to play blm or smn or rdm as a main....
        I suggest RDM; Why? because you need a job that can go the distance with many mobs on the game, and a Job that is needed in FFXI. So geting a invite wont be as bad as it would if you were to have SMN has your main.

Originally posted by papabear151 View Post
        Are they primarily damage dealers, what style damage (nuke, dot, etc), and any other info you think would be pertinent to know would be MOST appreciated
        Yes SMNs are DD's Magic Bursters, Healers, buffers. All viva Elemental magic as high as tier IV, no DoT except with avatar melee. however, the effectiveness of them vary at certain lvls. I love SMN job but it will never be my "Main". Your love for SMN will be seal'd with Free carby!!.

with that said imo use RDM as main sub WHM early in parties, pre refresh. /NIN or /War for solo's and /BLM post refresh

Ohh ya I hope you have alot of money too

Comment

Originally posted by Dim Mahk View Post
          Ohh ya I hope you have alot of money too
          To be honest, RDM would be the best option to have as your main job since it's the best solo job available, you don't really need too much money for RDM since most of the equipment that is outstanding for this job is free, you just need to have patience and will power to go out there and fight for it. I have a RDM 61 which I could use it's AF gear to 75. Everyone wants a RDM in their party. SMN is a great job when you get the hang of it but I'd go about lvling SMN to 75 after RDM. I'm a whm and I'll tell you that at higher lvls, RDM will most likely be picked for a party first. I'm glad I got to 75 a long time ago hahaha.

BLM is a job you need to actually commit to since it's a solo job once you hit 45+, everyone is scared of it and ninjas are completely incapable of keeping hate unless they have a good dd like a THF to get hate off you for tossing a nuke... getting BLM to 75 took me a bit but it was well worth it since it's so much fun and the power you have will always drive you to merit all the time because you always want to do MORE AND MORE! GAHHHHHHHHH @.@!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ojofer View Post
            you don't really need too much money for RDM since most of the equipment that is outstanding for this job is free
            I dont know about that statement. RDM can wear a hugh amount of gear. they can wear tank gear, partial DD gear and of course most mage gear. if you have a RDM that u want to participate in them 3 catogories your doomed for empty pockets. its nice to switch pace and sub /nin /war/ blm /whm /blu /drg holy crap what cant you sub on RDM and have fun with!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ojofer View Post
              To be honest, RDM would be the best option to have as your main job since it's the best solo job available, you don't really need too much money for RDM since most of the equipment that is outstanding for this job is free.
              Enfeebling/spider torque, snow/aqua rings, prism cape, mahatma slops, NQ/HQ staves, phantom earrings, Vermy cloak, etc.

Nothing's free in this world. =p As with every other job, red mage costs gil. Maybe it's less gear intensive than the majority of melee jobs out there, but it still costs gil.
              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Well I can say that the accessories are expensive (I feel retarded for forgetting that) but I can say I was wrong, probably why I'm not a RDM on my main char. I remember buying my snow rings for 550K each and I sold one when I got a Serket Ring from a BC since I need the MP. I guess, as more knowledgeable RDMs will tell you, SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

I've learned something today

Comment

Working...
                X