Being a SMN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a SMN

ok I am only a level 11 SMN at the moment, and I gotta say I love it to death even if that makes me a healer most of the time. I still honestly love it. But I got some questions, do I gotta solo the Summon Fights or no? 2) what kind of equipment do I need for SMN? Do I need CHR MND INT DEX etc...thank you!
    Name: Bluecat
    Main Jobs:
    SMN14, DRG8, RDM30
    Sub Jobs: BLM13,WHM7,NIN7,SAM2,DRK4
    Linkshell(s): (Owner) RainbowOverHolla

Re: Being a SMN

Originally posted by Bluecat View Post
    ok I am only a level 11 SMN at the moment, and I gotta say I love it to death even if that makes me a healer most of the time. I still honestly love it. But I got some questions, do I gotta solo the Summon Fights or no? 2) what kind of equipment do I need for SMN? Do I need CHR MND INT DEX etc...thank you!
    1) The level 20 capped fights must be soloed, and call for bringing consumables. However, even though it's level-capped, buffs aren't stripped; thus, you can have a high-level WHM throw the right Barelementra up and stronger Protect/Shell than you have open before you go in (I recommend tier II; IV will wear off too quickly at your level, and I don't know if III will or not).

2) Unfortunately, no stats boost avatars, pacts, or spirits in any way. Thus, the only stats that matter for a SMN are MP, hMP (MP recovered while healing), and later the SMN-specific stats of perp cost reduction, blood pact timer reduction, and to a lesser degree summoning magic skill.

I recommend learning how to skillchain with Rage pacts. That'll help you make the most out of the times when you actually get to play SMN instead of MP/WHM. -- Pteryx

Comment

There are two ways to get the avatars:

1. The level 20 cap solo fights. Need lower fame but are moderately expensive gear/consuables wise. The sticky on the forum is a good guide for them.
      2. The uncapped fights. Need higher fame and you will need high level help, there are a few different jobs that can solo these fights to 75 (I think mostly smn and rdm)

Personally, I would say if you are serious about doing smn do the level 20 cap fights. They are fun, make you feel like you earned your avatars and they reinforce/teach a lot of the solo smn basics.

Gear as Pteryx said really but one thing to add is I think enmity is pretty important for smn if you are main healing in a party (less damage mitigation tools than whm or rdm means you have to spam cures quite a lot) so make sure you get a Talisman cape (if you don't already have one) for when you hit level 18. It's a very nice generally actually, especially for soloing in.
      sigpic
      Signature courtesy of Selphiie the Enchantress

Comment

I'm not sure if SMN's cures are soft-capped just because of excess MND from the main ... but if they're not capped, MND can only help until you get a few more levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Saren View Post
          There are two ways to get the avatars:

1. The level 20 cap solo fights. Need lower fame but are moderately expensive gear/consuables wise. The sticky on the forum is a good guide for them.
          2. The uncapped fights. Need higher fame and you will need high level help, there are a few different jobs that can solo these fights to 75 (I think mostly smn and rdm)

Personally, I would say if you are serious about doing smn do the level 20 cap fights. They are fun, make you feel like you earned your avatars and they reinforce/teach a lot of the solo smn basics.
          Not just solo SMN basics, but one of the primary skills you'll need as a SMN in BCNMs as well -- firing off three Astral Flow pacts.

Additionally, I didn't mention the high-level fights because Bluecat has no high-level jobs herself. Thus, she'd be leeching off of others instead of contributing, which is something you'll lose a lot of respect for. -- Pteryx

Comment

Originally posted by Pteryx View Post
            Not just solo SMN basics, but one of the primary skills you'll need as a SMN in BCNMs as well -- firing off three Astral Flow pacts.
            Good point, CoP missions too.

Originally posted by Pteryx View Post
            Additionally, I didn't mention the high-level fights because Bluecat has no high-level jobs herself. Thus, she'd be leeching off of others instead of contributing, which is something you'll lose a lot of respect for. -- Pteryx
            I think I made it pretty clear in my post that I thought the capped fights were a better way of getting your avatars, partly because leeching in a fight like that is no accomplishment.
            sigpic
            Signature courtesy of Selphiie the Enchantress

Comment

Not just solo SMN basics, but one of the primary skills you'll need as a SMN in BCNMs as well -- firing off three Astral Flow pacts
              One thing to keep in mind when using the 3 Astral Flow method, is to know how much MP you need to have them work effectively. I believe the amount of MP you need is LVL x2 for the AF to work (so for the solo fights you need at least 40 mp).

I lost a number of these fights because I had low MP and my astral flow didn’t do anything.
              99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
              -Farsha (90) Completed!!
              -Verth (90) Completed!!
              -Guttler (95) Completed!
              -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
              -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
              -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Like summoner? then you will love their 2 hour.
                Test

Comment

I wuv SMN too~

For the summoner fights, the level 20 ones are solo with carbuncle only. They aren't too difficult but they can be challenging.

As for gear, go for MP as much as possible. Aside from when your party wants you main healing (Where MND comes into play), your avatar will be doing all the work for you. Also try to go for perpetuation down gear when you get higher up in level.
                  Last edited by Eiyoko; 05-16-2008, 05:36 PM. Reason: added some clarification

Comment

I might have read it wrong…but if you’re going for the solo fights, I wouldn’t say you need much +mp gear. Since your doing Astral Flows a bunch of times, a higher MP pool probably won’t make a difference. If I remember correctly, I prepared by...

Equipping as much DEF as possible
                    Ate Steamed Crab for Def
                    2-3 Yad Drinks to be used just before you Astral Flow
                    5 (ish) Hi Potions, you might get hit a couple times
                    1 Ether (just incase)

I would avoid using cure unless you are able to run out of range. Carby will miss a lot and won’t hit that hard so he can easily lose hate. To be honest…I think I even did a couple /pld. But I cant remember. You probably wont use all of those items...but being over prepared isnt a bad thing.

As you get into higher lvls, I would agree with +mp/perp/mnd gear. But not for solo fights.
                    99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                    -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                    -Verth (90) Completed!!
                    -Guttler (95) Completed!
                    -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
                    -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
                    -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

memo to self, delete later.
                      Hacked on 9/9/09