Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I was still on Alla, I made this post full of information to aid people in their speculation, since most of it had no basis. Now I'm offering it to this comunity. Most of it is exactly what I had before, but I've updated some of it. Be warned, this has a lot of spoilers, expecially for CoP.

After browsing a few FFXI forums, I've noticed a lot of speculation going on about possible new avatars. Sadly, a lot of it is very uninformed. So I decided to compile a list of things that contribute or take away from many avatar theories.

What's an avatar?

This needed to be addressed because a lot of people don't understand this game term. Avatar is not what you call a creature after it is added to our list of summons. Anything that we can summon was always an avatar.

There are two types of avatars: the terrestrial avatars and the sleeping gods, dubbed the celestial avatars. Spirits are not avatars, they are just an incarnation of elemental power.

The terrestrial avatars include: Carbuncle, Fenrir, Diabolos, Bahamut, and Phoenix. They can die like any creature, but it does seem their presence is sustained still. They don't reside in protocrystals, but they do have their realms.

Carbuncle > La Theine Plateau
    Fenir > Full Moon Fountain [Horutoto Ruins {Kuluu City)]
    Diabolos > The Shrouded Maw/Dynamis [Pso'Xja (Kuluu City)]
    Bahamut > Monarch Linn
    Phoenix > Unknown

Unlinke the sleeping gods, they have (or for some, did have) the ability to roam free among Vana'diel. Though their attacks are based off of one element, they are not tied to it like the sleeping gods. If you dig around Pso'Xja enough, I believe you can find a gate for each terrestrial avatar (except maybe Diabolos). As you can see, there is a very fine line between certain types of avatars. Carbuncle is not "the light avatar" and Fenrir is not "the dark avatar", which helps clear any confusion about Diabolos being dark based.

The sleeping gods are the masters of their respective elements. We know much about six of the eight of them. They remain in a sleep, dreaming. They reside in protocrystals. The threat of them waking was one that loomed in CoP. Carbuncle fears the moment when they might wake up and a war may break out, even post CoP. It is also thought that as more and more summoners obtain portions of their power, the line between their realm and Vana'diel is slowly thinning and waking them up.

These avatars, as we know for at least six of them, were once other living things who were given their divinity by the "goddess" (highly likely to be Altana). If you want to know their backstories, go here for an excellent translation:

http://killingifrit.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=104327&d=0

Ifrit > Ifrit's Cauldron [Cloister of Flames]
    Leviathan > Den of Rancor [Cloister of Tides]
    Titan > Quicksand Caves [Cloister of Tremors]
    Shiva > Fei'yin [Cloister of Frost]
    Ramuh > The Boyahda Tree [Cloister of Storms]
    Garuda > Cape Terrigan [Cloister of Gales]

Odin > Unknown
    Alexander > Unknown

We know next to nothing about Alexander and very little about Odin, who seems to be awake already... however we still don't know what this means, and we won't until we know more about ToAU.

I hope the above section educated some of you on avatars some. There will never be any new summonable avatars unless it is one of the above.. unless SE introduced a new group. But, we have nothing to base the possibility of that on.

Odin

I'll tackle him first since he's a hot topic right now since the "Dark Rider" has been sighted.

We know he is the Celestial avatar of Darkness from the stellar star charts. Every celestial avatar has their name on the constellation of their elemental star. Will he be summonable? Doesn't seem so, but we know for sure he's in the game.

More so than Alexander, his name pops up with the other celestial avatars. The taru with the star chart in Windurst talks about him, while the tarus in the other nations talk about different celestial avatars. His name is also on the gates in Windurst and Eldieme, among some of the other celestial avatars.

In the quests Tuning In/Tuning Out, a Mithran tracker investigating the sleeping gods came across a piece of magicite shattered in Bearclaw Pinnacle while trying to converse with the true forms of the avatars. While this was not a dark protocrystal as originally beleived, its existance is expected.

My personal theory on this is that it may have been a dark protocrystal after all. Odin and Alex are definitely special, which made me think that instead of Altana, perhaps Promathia granted these two their status. Odin I believe this holds true for moreso. Altana only granted the others their status when she saw how noble they were. Odin doesn't seem to fit this. If Promathia had made him an avatar, that would explain why his protocrystal was magicite (aka Promathia's will) and why he's up and running around in Aht Urhgan.

Now, our undeniable proof that the Dark Rider is Odin, handed to us directly by SE:

img136.imageshack.us/img136/1606/odinandsleip8xj.jpg

Those are the names of the textures of located in the Dark Rider's .dat file.

These are named by SE themselves! This is not a list custom named like with Model Viewer.

Verdict: Will Odin ever be summonable? I can't say. It doesn't look like it to me but SE can throw us curveballs. Diabolos had more going for him than Odin and even then we couldn't be sure. However, we can say for sure he IS in the game and he IS the celestial dark avatar.

Phoenix

Though much talked about in CoP, we never actually saw Phoenix herself. Many people try to argue how she died in the 6-4 cutscene as proof she will never be summonable.. however she was pretty dead before Tenzen "revived" her. Her presence is merged with Selh'teus.

The verdict: SE seems pretty much finished with CoP, so I wouldn't count on getting her. But let's not count our eggs before they hatch! We have a good idea what her summoning animation looks like and her Astral Flow pact from Selh'teus's appearances post 8-2. We can still hope.

Bahamut

The big bad wyrmking, ruler of the skies. He has no summoning animation, and SE has already said they won't make him summonable.

The verdict: SE could change their mind but don't get your hopes up.

Alexander

All we have as concrete evidence is the star chart, which shows him as the celestial light avatar. Unlinke Odin, we don't have much... there is some NPC dialogue in ToAU that sounds like it may be Alexander and some dialogue from Limbus NPCs, but that's it outside of the Gordeus floating in Walahra Temple which is similar to Alex's star in the sky. There's no direct mentioning of his name though. The moblins in Movalpolos were probably originally searching for Alexander when they started digging, but after finding a stone statue of Promathia, they never kept looking.

The verdict: The star chart should be enough for anyone, especially after Odin, to beleive Alexander is the celestial light avatar. But we don't have anything else concrete other than that to base speculation on. As it is, doubtful he will be summonable, at least until we see more of him in-game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it. The four avatars already "in-game" that we have yet to summon and why they may or may not be a spell for us to use one day. Anyone's welcome to discuss or offer up their own theories. But keep them educated, which is what this post was for. SE's more than likely giving us one of these avatars in the near future. It's hard to say which.
    Last edited by Kazuki; 06-23-2006, 01:56 PM.

Re: Avatar Speculation and You

Good post, I have a few comments.

First, regarding the terrestrial avatars in general: they are not attached to protocrystals, but they do seem to be connected to *mother*crystals. Diabolos, Bahamut and Carbuncle live right on top of mothercrystals (Vahzl, Lumoria and Holla respectively) and Fenrir lives pretty close to one (Mea). By process of elimination, Phoenix should be associated with the mothercrystal of Dem; how she got to the Far East and bound into a sword is unknown.

Second, regarding Phoenix: I don't think they're done with Phoenix. Phoenixes don't stay dead - that's practically their defining characteristic. I expect we'll see Phoenix again in the Far East expansion, if it ever comes out. And then we'll know why she abandoned the mothercrystal of Dem.

And finally, Alexander: Although I haven't seen this myself, some people report that Limbus-related NPC dialogue hints that Alexander is in fact a biotechnological weapon, which the Empire is trying to repair. I wouldn't be surprised to see more about Alexander in the coming months of TAU mission storyline. Whether we'll see Alexander, or Odin, as summonable is anyone's guess, though.

Any of those is much more likely than a summon that hasn't previously existed in the FFXI world, though, IMO. (Madeen, Asura, Golem, Unicorn, Ixion, Valefor, etc.)
    Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
    RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
    All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya
      Second, regarding Phoenix: I don't think they're done with Phoenix. Phoenixes don't stay dead - that's practically their defining characteristic. I expect we'll see Phoenix again in the Far East expansion, if it ever comes out. And then we'll know why she abandoned the mothercrystal of Dem.
      Heh, this is exactly the thing I was going to comment on. The main point of a Phoenix is that it doesn't ever stay dead.

Comment

But Phoenix isn't dead. She did die in 6-4, but Selh'teus merged himself with her essence after that. Even post-Apocalypse Nigh, she's still a part of him. If we get her, it's going to be CoP/ZM epilogue quests, which is a lot of work.

And relating to the Alexander and Limbus thing, are you sure they didn't mean Omega or Ultima? If not, that could explain why Sagheera wants their body parts. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of both Odina nd Alex in Aht Urghan.

Comment

This is a very very nice topic. While I haven yet done apocalypse Night, I do think that Phoenix will be seen in future pathces. I dont think SE will just stop in the near east, if the game keeps going strong, we will definatley see the far east.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkhound
            This is a very very nice topic. While I haven yet done apocalypse Night, I do think that Phoenix will be seen in future pathces. I dont think SE will just stop in the near east, if the game keeps going strong, we will definatley see the far east.
            Ah, yes, but Phoenix is a mythological beast of the near east; specifically, Egypt.

Comment

Yes but, according to what we have seen in FFXI, Phoenix is very closely related to Tenzen and the far eat, and I dont think we will see much of Tenzen in this expansion.... Correct me if I am wrong but I do hope we see another expansion sometime soon.

Comment

I wouldn't look for another expansion until 2008 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazuki
                  But Phoenix isn't dead. She did die in 6-4, but Selh'teus merged himself with her essence after that. Even post-Apocalypse Nigh, she's still a part of him. If we get her, it's going to be CoP/ZM epilogue quests, which is a lot of work.

And relating to the Alexander and Limbus thing, are you sure they didn't mean Omega or Ultima? If not, that could explain why Sagheera wants their body parts. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of both Odina nd Alex in Aht Urghan.
                  From one of Bismarcks HNMLS's sites, after turning in a Proto-Omega segment.

The BLUs third line down. The talks about Aht Urghan rebuilding their divinity of Light. That definatly points to Alexander, who has always been the Holy Summon in other FFs. The CS after turning in a Proto-Ultima segment is pretty much the same (also with a BLU) but they never actually say Light Divinity (though they talk about the restoration.

Also there is a zone called Hazhalm Testing Grounds, just outside of Nashmau. Its a "BC" zone since there is no map, but there is a constant double dark weather. Do what you will with that
                  sigpic
                  Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

Thanks for bringing that screenshot to my attention Gobo. I hadn't turned in any Ultima/Omega parts myself yet, so I had no knowledge of the NPC's dialogue. I'll update my original post, as I definitely feel it's related to Alexander. SE's just been so vague about him, much less than Odin.

Comment

I am sure most of us summoners, want new avatars, but dont you think that we also need the current ones to get fixed and be more useful guys?

When was the last time anyone of you used rolling thunder or battle cry etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron
                        Ah, yes, but Phoenix is a mythological beast of the near east; specifically, Egypt.
                        Do not forget the Phoenix is also of Arabic origin as well...

Comment

I am sure most of us summoners, want new avatars, but dont you think that we also need the current ones to get fixed and be more useful guys?

Believe it or not, some melee like Rolling Thunder vs Crabs...but to the point. I'm more excited about changes than new avatars as well, as long as SE doesn't screw us over. This post was more of an informative one of not just what the next avatar may be, but also a lot of background information on them that people may have wanted to know regardless. It helps in case we get another Cerberus situation where I couldn't convince anyone that he was HNM until they saw him with their own eyes...

Comment

Next update our smn skill will be put to the test to affect all of our smn's bloodpacts.

Imagine if rolling thunder did 100 damage per hit and stuns target, lasted 5 minutes.

Imagine if Ifirit's War Cry lasted for 5 minutes.

Now let's imagine SE killing our imaginations /emoslitwrist

I can dream can't I?
                            Hacked on 9/9/09
                            FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

This post is great. I was not aware of Alexander having any mention in game, so that's good to know.

I'd like to add that my 2 cents are that Phoenix will be either the next avatar (or Odin will be since we found Dat's and then Phoenix will follow) since she seems to have a significant presence in the game as of now, and she would give SMN's some abilities that the game hasn't seen yet. (I mean, all the other avatars have a buff, 2 physical attacks and 2 magic attacks.. roughly. Phoenix could give us so much in the way of healing/raising/status ailments as opposed to damage. Odin on the other hand COULD give us so much more in the ways of melee).

I know I'm a bit of subject for this post, so please don't let me take this off topic. But I'm very glad someone finally compiled all this great info.

Bravo.

Comment

Working...
                              X