X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avatar Perpetuation - Weird Occurrence

OK...

I went to help a friend get her Garuda whisper, and another SMN came along too. We had a RDM and a BRD with us, so ballad 1+2 and refresh. Something really odd happened.

Both of us had Shiva out. I was losing 2 MP every 3 seconds, and the other SMN's MP was staying completely level, no change whatsoever. I cannot for the life of me figure this out, and neither could any of us. She had an HQ ice staff, while I was using a normal one (because I'm po' .. lol), but that should have accounted for a difference of one MP/tick, not two.

Here were the differences in our equipment:

Boots: I was using elvaan RSE2 boots, she was using SMN AF2
    Pants: I was using AF2, she was using AF1
    Body: I was using austere, she was using dalmatica. (I have a vermillion cloak but I always swap to austere with an avatar out for the BP timer, plus the perpetuation cost - 1 equals out to be the same as the refresh)
    Weapons: As mentioned previously, she had HQ ice staff and I had NQ version. Again, this should have accounted for a 1MP/tick difference, not 2MP/tick.
    Everything else was identical in our gear. Well, she also had on a tavnazian ring and I had on an ether ring, but I didn't find that to be a massive difference worth mentioning.

To make this even more odd, she summoned Ifrit after the battle while we were trying to figure out why this happened, and she was losing 1MP/tick rather than staying level, using HQ fire staff. She summoned Shiva again and was staying level still.

For reference, it was a water day and double wind weather.

Any thoughts on why in the world A) She'd be losing TWO less MP a tick than me when the only equipment difference should have accounted for one and B) Ifrit would cost her more than Shiva, all other things being equal?

This is really going to bother me. Any thoughts on the topic welcome.
    召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
    San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Re: Avatar Perpetuation - Weird Occurrence

with evoker ring, penance robe (-2), and HQ stave, prime avatars cost me -6. with refresh+ballad, thats -0

with austere robe and NQ stave, and refresh+ballad, should cost you -2
    with dalmatica and HQ stave, and refresh+ballad, should cost him -1

maybe he had a cheap +1mp drink like apple juice? actually that would overwrite refresh, never mind. no idea
    63/63 maps obtained

Comment

(as mentioned above, indirectly)

Evoker's Ring? Did both of you have it?
      Alauna >> : yea.. what do TC majors do, anyways?
      >> Alauna : we are capable of doing lots of things, but aren't really experts in anything :-p
      Alauna >> : oh, so your a RDM?
      >> Alauna : yeah...

Comment

Well even if she had one and the OP didn't, the OP said the effect happened on Shiva and not Ifrit. And it was Watersday and double wind weather. Unless she had a macro that made her put on the ring when Shiva was called, and take it off when Ifrit was called, then that shouldn't make a difference.
        My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
        Originally posted by Balfree
        Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

We did both have the evoker's ring. And the calculations grunion posted were exactly the same as the ones I came up with. This just doesn't make any sense to me -.-
          San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Comment

I'm sorry to say this but your friend is a witch.
            I may l'eggo your Eggo, but I'll be damned if I rolf your waffle...

Comment

Only thing I haven't heard is the level of you and the other player. As far as I knew perpetuation cost increases with each level. I'm pretty sure you are also taking that into account, and the level you both are at would have Ifrit and Shiva being the same perpetuation cost.

Because if their level is right then maybe they are at a spot were shiva only costs them like 6 and it's 7 for you, that would account for the other 1 MP/Tick that's giving them the 2 MP/Tick over you. Yet their level is right were ifrit would cost them 7 and costs you 7?

Never played SMN to high levels so could only give suggestions of read knowledge and the little that I have done with SMN.

To quote Tomoh from another post on SMN stuff:

Originally posted by Tomoh
              They are not the same. Tikki, from SMN LV30~35 perpetuation cost for Carby is 4 and Fenrir is 5. At 36, they're the same at 5. from 37~44, carby at 5 and Fenrir at 6.
              Perhaps something similar to this effect is happening. If you both are the same level though or they are higher level then that may throw out this theory.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

I'm 75... Truthfully I'm not 100% sure that she was also 75, because although I've done a handful of things w/her, she's always /anon. I THINK she's 75. I know she's at LEAST 73, since she uses a dalmatica.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordache
                  I'm sorry to say this but your friend is a witch.

what he said.. shes from the far east....>.> 
                  It's Official Promathia Hates me....
                  それは公式である,プロマシア は私を憎む。
                  Trielは博雅なる大召喚士
                  A Summoners Journey (The Live Journal) >>>> A Summoners Journey the Movie

BecomingThe Movie: The tale of the Journey of a Blue Mage

Comment

Well then if she wasn't 75 at the time then I would think it possible for a difference there. Could be at like 73 or 74 being that 1 level were Shiva and Ifrit Perpetuation Cost is different. Outside of that I'm not sure of anything else, with maybe the gear causing such an effect.

Well with the exception of possibly being a slight chance that the 'refresh' on the dalmatica may not be returning an exact 1 MP/Tick but something of maybe 1.4 and with the Refresh spell being added to it causing it to round it up get an extra MP/Tick?

Theory of that is coming from a recent test that was showing -% damage not appearing to be exactly accurate (with for an odd exception of the Earth Staff). Again draws back to maybe an intentional effect in the gear or the gear being effected by a still unknown control.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Well with the exception of possibly being a slight chance that the 'refresh' on the dalmatica may not be returning an exact 1 MP/Tick but something of maybe 1.4 and with the Refresh spell being added to it causing it to round it up get an extra MP/Tick?
                      that actually sounds really likely, well, it would depend on the Rdm's enhancing magic too. (at least I Think it's enhancing o.O) the refresh could go up like .1 every 30 lvls of Enhancing magic or something like that and so it could have had a .7 on it while the dalmatica had a .3 on it or something. . . I dont know, I'm just talking to myself. ~_~

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

Silentsteel - Taru of Awesomeness on Valefor

80 Whm, 86 Drg, 40 Sam, 37 Blm, 31 Smn, & lower as it goes down... I have way too much play time for no levels, lol.

Comment

One of two things. It was either a bug or the other SMN was level 73 exactly (and has an NQ fire staff).

The final boost in avatar costs (not carbuncle/fenrir/spirits) happens at level 74. It goes from 12MP a tic (base, not even including auto refresh) to 13 at level 74.

Source from:
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ock/Perpet.jpg
                        I don't know who created it originally though.
                        Generic Info!

Comment

I may have your answer.... did your friend by any chance use "Astral Flow"? "Astral Flow" will cease the perpetuation cost as long as its in effect...most people havent noticed this because when they use the Blood Pact ability that drains all their mp the Avatar will dissapear that is unless you have a drink on...i discovered this while i was lvling my sMN..after using the ability i lvled up bring my mp to full 100% and i noticed my mp wasnt gettting drained... once the Astral Flow effect wore off the mp resumed its perpetuation~ im not saying this is what it was~ im just saying that this is a possibility of what happened^^

Comment

Astral Flow drops Perpet to 0, so if you have any refresh or Auto-refresh you will start gaining MP back.
                            sigpic
                            Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

It got to be the level difference.

I have never seen bugs like this happend before, it's always just something you didn't think of.

Comment

Working...
                              X