Need advice tweaking SCH builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice tweaking SCH builds

I think I have my priorities in order for what I want and need on the nuking and enfeebling side of SCH, it just remains a matter of getting most of it. Not so hard as it is a long endeavor there, especially the obis, what a fun grind that is. Worse is SE gave me a reason to persue all eight. Thank you, SE

I had thought had maxed my Stoneskin and Phalanx build, but if I'm doing the math correctly, it seems like I'm not quite to capping off at 350 HP on Stoneskin yet.

I'm not meritting enhancing skill and have no enhancing skill gear beyond AF pants for Light Arts, so perhaps that's part of why I'm behind, but I'm also usually pushing +41 MND. I could get a little more, eat a goblin mushpot, get a MND Ring (usually just use Tamas + Hale Ring), yigit hands, goliard feet and such, but it doesn't seem like there's much room to grow.

Ixion Cloak would get me +3 more MND than Errant Body and Odin keeps those in steady supply at 4 mil, usually. While I find the refresh effect frivelous on that and Vermy, can't say I can turn my nose up at the other stats there. Seems like something to save up for if I don't get into an HNMLS

I haven't gotten the prereq quest done for Apocalypse Nigh, but it seems as though Magnetic earring benefits more things for SCH than Static Earring would. That plus Loquacious would net me 50 more MP for my healer build. And it stacks with the Conserve MP trait, which is already awesome enough for SCH when it kicks in on Penury/Parsimony.

Re: Need advice tweaking SCH builds

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    I think I have my priorities in order for what I want and need on the nuking and enfeebling side of SCH, it just remains a matter of getting most of it. Not so hard as it is a long endeavor there, especially the obis, what a fun grind that is. Worse is SE gave me a reason to persue all eight. Thank you, SE

I had thought had maxed my Stoneskin and Phalanx build, but if I'm doing the math correctly, it seems like I'm not quite to capping off at 350 HP on Stoneskin yet.

I'm not meritting enhancing skill and have no enhancing skill gear beyond AF pants for Light Arts, so perhaps that's part of why I'm behind, but I'm also usually pushing +41 MND. I could get a little more, eat a goblin mushpot, get a MND Ring (usually just use Tamas + Hale Ring), yigit hands, goliard feet and such, but it doesn't seem like there's much room to grow.

Ixion Cloak would get me +3 more MND than Errant Body and Odin keeps those in steady supply at 4 mil, usually. While I find the refresh effect frivelous on that and Vermy, can't say I can turn my nose up at the other stats there. Seems like something to save up for if I don't get into an HNMLS

I haven't gotten the prereq quest done for Apocalypse Nigh, but it seems as though Magnetic earring benefits more things for SCH than Static Earring would. That plus Loquacious would net me 50 more MP for my healer build. And it stacks with the Conserve MP trait, which is already awesome enough for SCH when it kicks in on Penury/Parsimony.
    Ixion Cloak is awesome on SCH. I dare say SCH get the best use of it as there are not many other usable refresh items and the regen almost cancels out the -hp regen on sublimation, not to mention the magic accuracy helps virtually all your spells.

If I am not mistaken SCH with Light arts up has about 256 enhancing skill which means you would need somewhere in the neighborhood of 103 mnd to cap stoneskin I think. As a blm/rdm with 200 enhancing skill I cap out stoneskin with 114 total mnd.

Post your proposed gearsets and it'll be easier to make suggestions.
    sigpic

Comment

Ixion Cloak would be a good option, it's worth not wearing AF Hat for as that extra 1/tick on Sublimation doesn't do anything if you already have a full MP bank, while the 1/tick is always active(same reason Vermy isn't necessarily useless). You can pick up a Mythic Wand +1 for cheap as a nice chunk of MND for Stoneskin, or if you have a ZNM group there's Alkalurops as well.

And yes, Magnetic all the way, the only reason I don't use one myself is because of how valuable Hollow is to a non-Suppa COR :/
      Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
        And yes, Magnetic all the way, the only reason I don't use one myself is because of how valuable Hollow is to a non-Suppa COR :/
        Likewise I use Ethereal at the moment because it's a pretty good melee ring and at the moment is being used as a substitute for Bushi ; ;

Are you using Terra Staff or Earth? Enhancing Torque or Holy Phial?
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
          Likewise I use Ethereal at the moment because it's a pretty good melee ring and at the moment is being used as a substitute for Bushi ; ;

Are you using Terra Staff or Earth? Enhancing Torque or Holy Phial?
          Earth/Terra's staff does nothing for stoneskin.

Edit: SCH can however use Kirin's Pole.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cotners View Post
            Edit: SCH can however use Kirin's Pole.
            Thanks, I was going to lump that in with my suggestions but wasn't sure if SCH got added to that.
            Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

I had thought about the Kirin's Pole or that Chupathingy from ZNMs, but sometimes I do get hate for Accession Stoneskin, so I prefer the security of Earth/Terra's. I guess I should still consider it, though.

To answer Malacite's question, I presently use Promise Badge.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotners View Post
                Earth/Terra's staff does nothing for stoneskin.
                Proof? everything I've heard contradicts that.
                sigpic

Comment

Proof? everything I've heard contradicts that.
                  From whom?

I've never seen any guide or wiki entry that claims that Earth Staff/Terra's Staff does anything for Stoneskin. Most of them go out of their way to specify that they do not actually get any bonus from it at all. Which, mind you, is entirely consistent with every other buff in the game. You don't get added resistance from having the right staff for barspells, added damage reduction for casting Phalanx with Light Staff, or anything of the sort.

By now I figured it was a widely known and accepted fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                    every other buff in the game. You don't get added resistance from having the right staff for barspells
                    Actually you do. See for yourself. It's another 12 or 22 points, I forget exactly but it does add more.
                    sigpic

Comment

Why would Earth Staff boost stoneskin? Stoneskin is buffed by Enhancing Magic and MND only, there's nothing else which can influence how much damage it can receive. Since neither of these stats are on Earth Staff, we can safely say that it does jack all for Stoneskin.

Stone Gorget and Stone Mufflers will improve your Stoneskin, but aside from MND and Enhancing Magic skill, nothing else will.

EDIT:
                      Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                      Actually you do. See for yourself. It's another 12 or 22 points, I forget exactly but it does add more.
                      You're not thinking of the extra elemental resistance that is actually on the staff? You get that +15 or +20 (HQ) even without a bar-spell up.

Comment

Yeah, Mal, the staves themselves have elemental resistance stats on them, they do not add to the actual barspell buffs in any way.

At any rate, that's not why I macro Earth Staff in for when I do Stoneskin, I do that for the -20% physical damage taken in the event I get hate (which can happen with Accession on occasion), which helps preserve my Stoneskin a little longer. Kirin's Pole can usually be found in a Batilla bazzar here on Odin, shouldn't be too much trouble to get one.

Comment

Yeah, Mal, the staves themselves have elemental resistance stats on them, they do not add to the actual barspell buffs in any way.
                          Oh right, that may be it.
                          sigpic

Comment

You know, given that I don't draw much benefit from Mortarboard in PTs where I'm healing and I don't have a vermy or Ixion Cloak, perhaps I should consider digging up my Opo-Opo crown just for the boost to HP, MP and slight MND boost.

I'm not sure if it would give me more MP out of sublimation or not given the hidden effect, but I'd snag 35 more MP out of it than I would just using Mortarboard.

Comment

You know, given that I don't draw much benefit from Mortarboard in PTs where I'm healing and I don't have a vermy or Ixion Cloak, perhaps I should consider digging up my Opo-Opo crown just for the boost to HP, MP and slight MND boost.

I'm not sure if it would give me more MP out of sublimation or not given the hidden effect, but I'd snag 35 more MP out of it than I would just using Mortarboard.
                              When I'm healing and don't need the mortarboard, I'm usually wearing the yigit hat for the -enmity.

Comment

Working...
                              X