Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survival of the Wisest (SPOILERS)

Personal account:

1st attempt: Ran in, Killed the book in 2 nukes, ran out of mp trying to nuke through Gunther's Shell 3 (increases his resist rates to ridiculous levels even at level 75), died.

2nd attempt: Ran in, took 30 seconds buffing up, Gunther opens with shell 3 on both him and the book. Stand around perplexed, finally kill the book, dispel dispel dispel, blizzard4, Gunther runs up to me and does True strike for 331 damage, followed by another True strike for 300+ damage TWO SECONDS LATER, die, Reraise2, run out of time.

3rd attempt: Finally decide to do it the cheesy level 75 way (oneshot the book) on Iceday during ice weather. Run in, RR scroll, Blizzard 4, "The Crimson Grimoire recovers 0 HP" Oops! (runs away)

Final attempt: Quickly blow up orcs for another testimony

Well, that's that.

What I personally learned:

If S-E wanted to make a genkai encounter even more annoying at level 70 than RDM was, they've succeeded wonderfully. I can't imagine doing this without 71+ gear and with Stone 4, because you won't and can't one-shot the book (You'll need to Alacrity a second spell and Gunther will autoaggro you). A few theories for the level 70 genkai fight (not quite applicable to 75s):

1) Don't bother trying to nuke through Shell 3. It's a waste of time and MP, you might put him in the 20-50% HP danger zone (explained below), and Gunther doesn't nuke very hard anyway, so you have time to dispel him. If you dispel Gunther, he has a high chance of wasting time casting protect 4 or regen again.

2) If you must die/reraise (very probable) do it FAST. Gunther's ranged spell damage sucks, so if he kills you after 4 minutes, when you unweaken in 5 minutes, you'll have all of 1 minute left to kill him. The ideal situation would be to kill the book and unload all your mp/die under 2-3 minutes. Gunther takes about 30 seconds to walk back to his original spot and you WILL need to dispel him after you unweaken. (He has 3 buffs, Shell3, Protect4, and Regen. Only Shell is important.)

3) Try not to reduce Gunther to a point below 50% hp where he hasn't conceded yet. He'll melee you and you'll probably get repeated true-strike in the head (which hurts a LOT more than his stupid spells since he has perma 300% tp or something). I think maybe a helix spell would help here if you cast it early, so you can Modus Veritas it in this situation and kite him around. I opened with Drain so that Drain > Blizzard 4 would avoid him ever hitting this HP range (20-50%). Blizzard 3> Stone 4 > Drain would probably be your best bet at 70.

4) The element of the book is RANDOM. It's not based on day. Attempt #3 and #4 were the exact same game day.

One caveat:

Allakhazam.com: Final Fantasy XI: Scholar

I found a post on Alla about how "Oh, any job can solo this with full swing", which might work, but I don't personally recommend or trust - if you miss with full swing, you die (and scholar has terrible staff skill); He said he "Opoed to 300 TP" (Translation: Spent at least 6 minutes in a 10 minute BC asleep, making Reraise semipointless unless you can one-shot while weakened); You can't nuke the book with an earth staff because weapon swaps will kill your TP and by the time you're finished, Gunther will have fully buffed himself AND the book with Prot4 and shell3 AND the other buffs he listed will leave you with only 2 minutes left to actually do the BC since some of those items have terrible activation speeds. Try it if you want, I certainly can't recommend it.

He also doesn't mention dispelling at all, which is weird because at level 75 with 302 Elemental skill and a Hyorin Obi, I was still getting a more than 60% resist rate with shell 3 on Gunther and couldn't break 250ish damage reliably with tier FOUR nukes (Unlike players, Enemies get spell resistance when they use Shell).
    Last edited by locus; 04-19-2008, 12:14 AM. Reason: Playername censoring failure
    I believe most sigs are like the people they represent - useless, loud and obnoxious.

Re: Survival of the Wisest (SPOILERS)

I'm 0/7 on this now as my first genkai, and indeed it is the pain in the arse you surmised it is.

On attempts 1-6, I was attempting the standard buff up, kill the book, then kill Gunther strategy. This isn't so good for me, cos with the resist rates combined with the chance the book will be healed by one of your spells, well, things start to look real uphill at this point. Furthermore, when I do 700 damage to the book, it only seems to take it down half way. (Gear for this is approp. NQ or Aquilo's Staff, Bugard Strap +1, Sweet Sachet / Phantom Tathlum, Sch. Mboard, Enlightened Chain, Morion Earring, Moldy Earring, Sch. Gown, Seer's Mitts +1, Hale Ring, Wisdom Ring, Red Cape +1, Penitent's Rope, Cobra Slops, and Sch. feet for a total of +33 INT with Aquilo's equipped).

This didn't look promising, and after taking a break between attempts 6 and 7, I decided on a new strategy that skips a lot of the aggrevation. The book's pseudo-random absorb (I'm not entirely convinced it isn't weighted) can make for a real quick fight the wrong way, so why deal with it? I eat food outside the fight, enter, pop an INT potion, Dark Arts, Add: Black, Tabula Rasa, and launch a Ebullience/Alacrity Stone 4 at Gunther. Does 454 damage, which I'm damn sure now is a half resist. Up to this point, I was anticipating the book would start nuking me, but instead it cures Gunther and closes to melee range. I somehow get a E/A Thunder 3 off at Gunther for 398 while the book is meleeing me. One more good nuke ought to do it at this point, so I run around to get out of the book's melee range, pop E/A again, and fire off Stone 4... and get killed by a Fire 3 courtesy of Gunther two seconds before my Stone 4 casts.

This seemed a much better approach than the buff-book-man theory. I'll be trying this one again, but swapping out my AF hat and seer's mitts for the Cobra Cloche Set. Maybe the MAcc bonus for the set will be more profound than I'm expecting.

For the record, I've never landed an unresisted nuke in this fight.
    Wii Number - 2810 2423 4673 3261 - Please PM me if you add me!
    How to ask smart questions: catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Boom! (On SCH75/RDM)

Comment

Does 454 damage, which I'm damn sure now is a half resist.

Probably not, actually =( Scholars don't get innate MAB and Gunther's INT is actually rather high. That 812 blizzard 4 you saw was with Hyorin(Iceday + Ice weather for 20% extra damage), Aquilo's, Uggalepih activated and Vicious Mufflers with somewhere around 103ish total INT. Stone 4 is also rather weak, it's a D381 spell compared to blizzard 4, that's a D504 spell

Base formula

Stone 4 = int((381+int(INT differencex2))xMABxOther modifiers

Let's assume Gunther has 30 less INT you than you (although he's probably equal to... his INT is very very high, as you can see from that Cryohelix), so...

Damage = 441 x MaB% x 15% Terra's Staff, you'd barely break 500 damage. =(

Did Gunther cast Shell 3 at all? I can't emphasize how much that stupid buff needs to die. When he had it on, Thunder 4 barely did more than 200 damage to him on my first attempt (1/4 resist!). Nuking Gunther all-out might be fine, but the problem is that both him and the book can cure4, and the stupid book is hitting you for 150-ish damage in the meanwhile with your taru hp >_>

Not to mention that you have to start the fight FAST before he starts buffing, cause you've pretty much lost if he puts shell3 on himself and the book (Takes too long to dispel).
      I believe most sigs are like the people they represent - useless, loud and obnoxious.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer on calculating magic damage. Since it was 454 with Ebullience, looks like he actually has more INT than I do---454/(1.1*1.2) is about 344. Damn, I really wanted that to be a half resist.

In that fight, no, he didn't cast Shell. He casted Regen (2? I can't remember) after I hit him with Stone IV and the book tossed him a Cure 3. That last Stone IV would have taken him down to 14%, assuming the 1300 total HP number listed @ wikia is correct.
        Wii Number - 2810 2423 4673 3261 - Please PM me if you add me!
        How to ask smart questions: catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Boom! (On SCH75/RDM)

Comment

Nah, he only has access to Regen 1, I'm pretty sure. Which is a good thing, I guess. One thing that I've heard is that the book won't cast cures unless it's in Light mode, so maybe you just got unlucky. =( Gunther himself has only about 1.2-1.3kish hp, so your target (under 20% hp) assuming he has 1300 hp would be about 1040 damage.

Perhaps you should buy an Icarus wing? Earth Crusher should be a good 200ish damage even at 100 hp. Then your combo would be Stone 4 (454 damage) + A/E thunder3 (398) + 200ish from hitting him with your WS. That would be well over 1000 damage. I'd personally use Blizzard3 myself since the Ice staff is so much better than the Thunder one. If he's still not dead, throw a AlacrityDrain at him ASAP - Drain is a fast spell and it can do over 300 damage, geared correctly.
          (Especially if you have vicious mufflers, which I highly recommend for a level 70 SCH)

Comment

Working...
          X