Common misconceptions about SCH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common misconceptions about SCH!

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!, this is just a list of information about SCH, with my own thoughts and inexperiences as part of a commentary about SCH, you can find the same status information (not including my thoughts and input) on ffxiclopedia.com, also the QUOTED portions are words and thoughts copyrighted by me.

Ok I am writing this thread to give people an idea of what SCH is really about. They are constantly being compared to BLM and RDM, that is a big no no people SCH is a very different job. I am going to start with SCH's abilities to change stance in battle, They are able to go from a healer stance to a much more damage dealing stance I will break down each ART for you here so you can see the true potential of both sides.
    Light Arts
    • Optimizes white magic capability while lowering black magic proficiency. Grants a bonus to divine, enhancing, and healing magic.
    • Obtained: Scholar Level 10
    • Recast Time: 1:00
    • Duration: The Ability will not go away until you switch your "Art", are KO'd, switch zones, or log off.
    --------------------------------------------
    • Using Light Arts gives a scholar access to abilities that enhance white magic.
    • Light Arts reduces MP costs for White Magic spells by 10%, and increases MP costs for Black Magic spells by 20%.
    • Light Arts decreases casting time for white magic by 5-10%, and increases casting time for black magic by 20%.
    • Light Arts reduces recast time for white magic by 10%, and increases recast time for black magic by 20%.
    • The change in spell cost and recast times will be reflected in the spell menu.
    • Raises the skill cap for Enhancing Magic, Divine Magic, and Healing Magic from a D rating to a B rating. Note that this will increase sub job skills to the main job's level at a B rating.
    • Raises your divine, enhancing, and healing magic. If your main job skill is 0-200 it brings it to 246, 210-250, it's raised to 256, 256-276, it has no effect. This is on Lv75 jobs.
    • Skill ups are still possible even if you are over the skill cap after using Light Arts (assuming you were below cap before using Light Arts).
    Now that you know LA's basic use here is more information of SCH's Magic skill lvl and how it really works.

Divine Magic: Skill Ranking: D, Cap at lvl 1: 4 Cap at lvl 37 101, Cap at lvl 75 210
    Healing Magic: Skill Ranking: D, Cap at lvl 1: 4 Cap at lvl 37 101, Cap at lvl 75 210
    Enhancing Magic: Skill Ranking: D, Cap at lvl 1: 4 Cap at lvl 37 101, Cap at lvl 75 210

This is all after using Light Arts:
    Divine Magic: Skill Ranking: B+, Cap at lvl 1: 5 Cap at lvl 37 109, Cap at lvl 75 256
    Healing Magic: Skill Ranking: B+, Cap at lvl 1: 4 Cap at lvl 37 109, Cap at lvl 75 256
    Enhancing Magic: Skill Ranking: B+, Cap at lvl 1: 5 Cap at lvl 37 109, Cap at lvl 75 256

Ok now that you know all that, I am going to show each stratagem under the Light Arts ability, Keep in mind that you can only use these if Light Arts is active.
    Penury
    Job Ability
    • Reduces the MP cost of your next white magic spell by 50%.
    • Recast Time: Stratagem Charge
    • Duration: 1 Spell or 60 seconds, whichever occurs first
    Notes/Description
    • Penury is a stratagem, which obeys different usage rules than typical Job Abilities.
    • The 50% reduction in MP cost does not stack with the 10% reduction from Light Arts.
    • The word penury means extreme poverty, destitution, scarcity, or insufficiency. Unlike parsimony, which implies conservation for the sake of prosperity, penury implies conservation out of necessity.
    Celerity
    Job Ability
    • Reduces the casting time of your next white magic spell by 50%.
    • Obtained: Scholar Level 25
    Notes/Description
    • Celerity is a stratagem, which obeys different usage rules than typical Job Abilities.
    • This ability also affects the recast time of the next spell.
    • The word Celerity means swiftness of speed, a synonym for haste.
    Accession
    Job Ability
    • Extends the effect of your next healing or enhancing white magic spell to party members within range.
    • MP cost is tripled and casting time is doubled.
    • Obtained: Scholar Level 40
    Notes/Description
    • Accession is a stratagem, which obeys different usage rules than typical Job Abilities.
    • Spells that can be targeted outside of the party can also work on other people not in the party. This includes such things as Protect and Cures.
    • The word accession means a number of things, but most relevant meaning is an increase by something added, referring to the extension of range of spell effects.
    Rapture
    Job Ability
    • Enhances the potency of your next white magic spell.
    • Obtained: Scholar Level 55
    Notes/Description
    • Rapture is a stratagem, which obeys different usage rules than typical Job Abilities.
    • Increases potency by 50%. Works with cures, dia, and banish. Does not work with enhancing spells.
    • Can be stacked with Divine Seal.
    • The word rapture means ecstatic joy or delight.
    Now from my experiences I have noticed that SCH is not only able to main heal a party, it can main heal very well. Although in later lvl's you will notice it to be a bit harder to keep your MP pool up, Although SCH is able to cure almost as good (note WHM is still better) as WHM, we are given the MP pool about the size of RDM but without the Convert and Refresh, make sure you have plenty of cookies and or try to get a support job when forming your own party in order to keep up with the healing. Some of SCH's enfeebling spells (if /RDM) are classified under Light Arts, but in order to get the spell to stick you Must put Dark Arts up. It seems to me that SE did not clearly take into account the White magic enfeebling spells, but the -mp and +casting time are not too big on those ones, so takeing the penalty for that inst so bad. Now I am going to move on to describing Dark Arts in a bit more detail.
    Dark Arts
    • Optimizes black magic capability while lowering white magic proficiency. Grants a bonus to enfeebling, elemental, and dark magic.
    • Recast Time: 1:00
    • Duration: The Ability will not go away until you switch your "Art", are KO'd, switch zones, or log off.
    • Using Dark Arts gives a scholar access to abilities that enhance black magic.
    • Dark Arts reduces MP costs for Black Magic spells by 10%, and increases MP costs for White Magic spells by 20%.
    • Dark Arts decreases casting time for black magic by 5-10%, and increases casting time for white magic by 20%.
    • Dark Arts reduces recast time for black magic by 10%, and increases recast time for white magic by 20%.
    • The change in spell cost and recast times will be reflected in the spell menu.
    • Raises skill caps for Elemental Magic,Enfeebling Magic, and Dark Magic from D to B. Note that this will increase sub job skills to the main job's level at a B rating.
    • Raises your enfeebling, elemental and dark magic. If your main job skill is 0-200 it brings it to 246, 210-250, it's raised to 256, 256-276, it has no effect. This is on Lv75 jobs.
    • Skill ups are still possible even if Dark Arts puts your skill level over the cap (assuming you were below cap before using Dark Arts).
    Ok here I am going to List SCH's Skill lvls before and after using DA's

Elemental Magic: Skill Ranking: D, Cap at lvl 1: 4 Cap at lvl 37 101, Cap at lvl 75 210
    Dark Magic: Skill Ranking: D, Cap at lvl 1: 4 Cap at lvl 37 101, Cap at lvl 75 210
    Enfeebling Magic: Skill Ranking: D, Cap at lvl 1: 4 Cap at lvl 37 101, Cap at lvl 75 210

This is after using DA's
    Elemental Magic: Skill Ranking: B+, Cap at lvl 1: 5, Cap at lvl 37 109, Cap at lvl 75 256
    Dark Magic: Skill Ranking: B+, Cap at lvl 1: 5, Cap at lvl 37 109, Cap at lvl 75 256
    Enfeebling Magic: Skill Ranking: B+, Cap at lvl 1: 5, Cap at lvl 37 109, Cap at lvl 75 256
    Ok now we move onto the stratagems available when Dark Arts is in effect, Please bare with me I realize that this post is very long but once I get through explaining each DA's Stratagem I can move onto my real point, ok here they are.
    Parsimony
    Job Ability
    • Reduces the MP cost of your next black magic spell by 50%.
    Notes/Description
    • Parsimony is a stratagem, which obeys different usage rules than typical Job Abilities.
    • The word parsimony means extreme or excessive economy or frugality, or stinginess. Unlike penury, which implies conservation out of necessity, parsimony implies conservation for the sake of prosperity.
    Alacrity
    Job Ability
    • Reduces the casting time of your next black magic spell by 50%.
    • Obtained: Scholar Level 25
    Notes/Description
    • Alacrity is a stratagem, which obeys different usage rules than typical Job Abilities.
    • This ability also affects the recast time of the next spell.
    • The word alacrity means cheerful readiness, promptness, or willingness.
    Manifestation
    Job Ability
    • Extends the effect of your next enfeebling or dark black magic spell to targets within range.
    • MP cost is tripled and casting time is doubled.
    • Obtained: Scholar Level 40
    Notes/Description
    • Manifestation is a stratagem, which obeys different usage rules than typical Job Abilities.
    • The in-game description does not mention dark magic, although this ability does work with it.
    • This ability will remove shadows from all targets, similar to a -ga spell.
    • The word manifestation refers to any outward or perceptible indication or materialization of a phenomena.
    Ebullience
    Job Ability
    • Enhances the potency of your next black magic spell.
    Notes/Description
    • Ebullience is a stratagem, which obeys different usage rules than typical Job Abilities.
    • Increases potency by 20%. Works with drain, aspir, bio, nukes, and helix. Does not work with enfeebles.
    • The word ebullience means to be overflowing with fervor, enthusiasm, or excitement or in high spirits.
    Ok from what you can see SCH makes an addiquate damage dealer or if you prefer nuker. SCH in no way is ever going to be better than BLM (unless lower exp lvls and the SCH has better INT+ gear than the BLM) at nuking, SCH is NOT a replacement for BLM in any way. But from its ability to switch roles so easily SCH has become a very well rounded job. From being able to main heal, enfeeble, and nuke the mob at a B+ lvl, Mind you there are jobs better at each of these than SCH, but SCH is not about weather or not to compete for these positions, the beauty of it in fact is its ability to switch between them and still maintain a very good average.

SCH has been labeled as a "gimp" RDM, or even a "gimp" BLM when in fact they should not even be compared to those jobs. RDM has a much different role when it comes to 75 than a SCH would, same go's for BLM. They are both master's in their own traits, but SCH is not a master at any, it can basically be labeled as good at everything. SCH's AoE effects are what allows it to stand out, from Aspir-ga, Gravity-ga, Bind-ga, Stun-ga, to Protect IV-ga, Shell IV-ga, Cure IV-ga. I know right now they probably sound like its not enough to boost the job, but with a 4 minute reuse of stratagem charges, and being allowed to use 3 in total by combineing the stratagems and perhaps even using the 2hr SCH becomes a very versatile and useful job at 75. Despite common misconception SCH is NOT useless and will remain "useless" till more people realize just how useful the job is.

NOTE: I am not saying the job is perfect, nore am I saying everyone should LVL it, but the job is far from useless as most people have begun to label it as (note most of those ppl haven't even taken the job past 40, or even lvl 10 for that matter) nothing more than useless, but once you take a closer look you begin to see there is way more to this job than most people know. Sure SCH needs a lot of improvements as most newer jobs that have been released do, but why not try to see its potential instead of hating on it in the end.
    Last edited by Luna; 03-05-2008, 01:28 PM.

Re: Common misconceptions about SCH!

Nice guide, but what about thier SCH only Spells, the weather effects. What role do they have on the party? My Sch is only 13, but I'd rather lvl it than WHM atm.

Comment

Originally posted by Phanex View Post
      Nice guide, but what about thier SCH only Spells, the weather effects. What role do they have on the party? My Sch is only 13, but I'd rather lvl it than WHM atm.
      The Weather effects do as they state, they change the surrounding weather of the target you cast it on, SCH gets a spell for each weather element, The weather effects can be very useful in increasing damage done by Fellow BLM's, yourself, or increasing damage output based on certain elemental based WS's, also the weather effects on certain pieces of armor like SMN af, or the boots that give +12% movement speed work from what I have experienced.

The Helix spells from what I know of them now. They are a DoT, they do about 100-200 initial damage, and 100-200 per tick after that, the per tick part is based off of how much the helix actually does to begin with. From what I've noticed (talking to friends) They dont last a long time I think its about 6-7 ticks, I am not too sure on helix's though. There really isnt much known about them as of yet so that is why I have not stuck them in the former post. Although what is known is that they are greatly effected by the weather, and SCH does get a weather changing spell for each element. They are INT modefied; Not to mention an ability that increases damage done by the helix but lowers its duration by 50% here are its stats:

Modus Veritas

Job Ability
      • Increases damage done by helix spells while lowering spell duration by 50%.
      • Obtained: Scholar Level 65
      • Recast Time: 10:00
      • Duration: Instant
      Notes/Description
      • This ability is used on a target that has already been afflicted by a -helix spell. when used it substantially increases the damage (appears to be double) and halves the remaining duration.
      • Multiple Scholars can stack this effect. It works regardless of who cast the helix (But only one helix can be on any mob at any given time).
      Last edited by Luna; 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saphiera View Post
        Rapture
        Job Ability
        • Enhances the potency of your next white magic spell.
        Notes/Description[LIST][*] Rapture is a stratagem, which obeys different usage rules than typical Job Abilities.[*] Increases potency by 50%. Works with cures, dia, and banish. Does not work with enhancing spells.
        Ebullience
        Job Ability
        • Enhances the potency of your next black magic spell.
        Notes/Description
        • Ebullience is a stratagem, which obeys different usage rules than typical Job Abilities.
        • Increases potency by 20%. Works with drain, aspir, bio, nukes, and helix. Does not work with enfeebles.
        • The word ebullience means to be overflowing with fervor, enthusiasm, or excitement or in high spirits.
        Interesting. I could never find the V-values for Banish, Holy and Cure. If they don't suck too bad then I might have a new demand for SE. XD

Comment

Saphiera's "guide"

You didn't "write" a guide, did you? I spot checked a few items, and this "guide" looks like mostly a word for word copy of the information on FFXIclopedia.

It's pretty scummy to copy some other people's work and pass it off as your own.
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
            You didn't "write" a guide, did you? I spot checked a few items, and this "guide" looks like mostly a word for word copy of the information on FFXIclopedia.

It's pretty scummy to copy some other people's work and pass it off as your own.
            When did I ever state that was a guide? Point out to me anywhere in my posts where I said I posted a guide, and oh look at the topic does it say guide in there either? no I just simply posted SCH's information and related my own thoughts to it, in no way did I ever say that was a Guide to SCH get your facts straight before you go flaming people next time please.

Comment

My fault for using the wrong word; I apologize.

Whether guide or not, if you use substantial portion of other people's work, you should cite source and credit them.

- Mugaku

Comment

My fault for using the wrong word; I apologize.

Whether guide or not, if you use substantial portion of other people's work, you should cite source and credit them.
                I think thats pretty easy to tell where I got my stats from, but to make you happy i'll list that at the very top.

Comment

Well, technically, should quote words/sentences/paragraphs/etc. you didn't write yourself, so they would stand out and people can tell at a glance which portions is yours and which portion is not.

I consider that practice showing good manners. ^_^

- Mugaku

Comment

Well, technically, should quote words/sentences/paragraphs/etc. you didn't write yourself, so they would stand out and people can tell at a glance which portions is yours and which portion is not.

I consider that practice showing good manners. ^_^
                    I dont want those parts to stand out, I want my own words to stand out, that is the whole point of this thread I am not changing that and it is clearly stated where I got the "stats" from at the very top.

Comment

Originally posted by Saphiera View Post
                      The Helix spells from what I know of them now. They are a DoT, they do about 100-200 initial damage, and 100-200 per tick after that, the per tick part is based off of how much the helix actually does to begin with, They can stack, and from what I've noticed (talking to friends) They dont last a long time I think its about 6-7 ticks,
                      That is incorrect so far as I know, I remember there being a big QQ about it when people initially tested and found Helixes(correct pl form? Helices maybe?) don't stack, negating a large chunk of the benefit gained by having more than one SCH in an alliance during endgame fights.
                      Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                        That is incorrect so far as I know, I remember there being a big QQ about it when people initially tested and found Helixes(correct pl form? Helices maybe?) don't stack, negating a large chunk of the benefit gained by having more than one SCH in an alliance during endgame fights.
                        I have also noticed that like BLM, SCH's helix's get resisted on most HNM, although people tend to harp on that idea (why dont they ever mention how BLM gets resisted also??) I think that SE should improve that, beings that helix's do not last too long, and there is basically no point in increasing their damage for half the duration since it would be just like having the helix on full term, although maybe if you cast it at the end of the fight that would be best, what have you noticed about the helix's getting resisted to normal mobs (NOT Hnm)? Do you have lvl 75 SCH's in your ls? As of now I only know one person my friend Kuno on Bahamut.

Comment

Our highest SCH is 58~ I believe. From what I understand, in regards to HNM/endgame fights it's not even a matter of resists so much as Helixes having a shitty base damage #, iirc Kaeko figured out that it was similar to that of Aero 1, which is why it has such a hard time seeing big #'s on HNMs, where the low base damage becomes even more noticeable when the INT difference that figures out the multipliers is much lower than vs. XP level mobs.
                          Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

From what I've read, HNM don't just resist Helices like they do other nukes, but the screwy Helix damage formula also causes them, due to INT difference, to do pitiful damage even when unresisted .

Edit: Too slow. D:
                            Last edited by Coinspinner; 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                              Our highest SCH is 58~ I believe. From what I understand, in regards to HNM/endgame fights it's not even a matter of resists so much as Helixes having a shitty base damage #, iirc Kaeko figured out that it was similar to that of Aero 1, which is why it has such a hard time seeing big #'s on HNMs, where the low base damage becomes even more noticeable when the INT difference that figures out the multipliers is much lower than vs. XP level mobs.
                              Yeah I really think the INT based helix's from the mobs INT and the casters INT are what make up the damage ratio am I right? That is pretty crappy considering not all mobs especially HNM have a very high INT to begin with. I do however know that the helix's do more dmg (100-200) on regular normal mobs not including HNM (dynamis, einherjar, assault, exp, merit partys, NM's etc.) Atleast that is what I am being told by a friend of mine. Its not like everyone does HNM anyway but it would be nice if SE removed the part of the ration where its based partly off of the mobs INT, and just left it to be moded only by the SCH's INT+ score, that would make a lot of SCH's very happy I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X