No announcement yet.

What's your server's consensus on SCH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your server's consensus on SCH?

I've noticed that on Midgard, the general consensus on what SCH does at sub levels seems to be leaning towards "nuker that can heal" or "nuker that won't turn down invites" -- basically, a party-friendlier version of BLM. Heck, I even got an unsolicited invite to be a nuker the other day. I can't speak for the attitude 40+, however.

Has anyone else noticed trends in people's motivations to invite a SCH? -- Pteryx

Re: What's your server's consensus on SCH?

Originally posted by Pteryx View Post
    I've noticed that on Midgard, the general consensus on what SCH does at sub levels seems to be leaning towards "nuker that can heal" or "nuker that won't turn down invites" -- basically, a party-friendlier version of BLM. Heck, I even got an unsolicited invite to be a nuker the other day. I can't speak for the attitude 40+, however.

Has anyone else noticed trends in people's motivations to invite a SCH? -- Pteryx
    Totally as nukers.But I know about 10 people with SCH who refuse to main cure anyways they are quick to turn down invites. And this is about 50+.
    → ☆白75☆黒37☆ ←
    ∧____∧
    (≡´。`≡) ニャンニャン♪

♂ ラブストーリー♀

Comment

That's about what I've run into so far, too, though my SCH is only 20. I don't really think most of those parties knew why they were inviting me, other than to fill a spot, any better than I did. I'd just end up nuking because it didn't make any sense for me to do anything else. I only had one leader actually tell me I was there to nuke, and that party lasted one fight.

I've ended up main healing when WHMs leave or DC, but I've never been invited to a party that didn't already have a healer.
      Ellipses on Fenrir
      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
      . . .

Comment

On (lol)Remora, from Valkurm through the end of Lesser Colibri, I've been invited as a nuker. Starting with Puks, though, it's been straight main healing. Invite rate in ToAU areas has been pretty abysmal though, with days between parties with my flag up. I honestly don't mind acting as main healer--Scholar is very capable in this regard. Most of the options WHM has available to it Scholar has as well.

I have encountered problems with one or two Red Mages who didn't believe Scholar could main heal effectively against Colibri, thus they were hasting, refreshing, and curing the PLD when he didn't need to be cured. Well, that or they got panicky seeing anything but full health. Either way they made my position in the party mostly redundant.

Keeping Elemental Magic capped is as easy as going on a Rock Crusher 75 run or two (a well-equipped SCH61 with 100+ INT can clear the solo wall before the 10 minute warning). Dark Magic is a little harder to keep capped, but that's what Besieged is for.
        Wii Number - 2810 2423 4673 3261 - Please PM me if you add me!
        How to ask smart questions: catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Boom! (On SCH75/RDM)

Comment

A Pathetic WHM. Don't invite SCH as main heal. If you do you deserve to die.
          Hacked on 9/9/09
          FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Originally posted by Tsrwedge View Post
            I have encountered problems with one or two Red Mages who didn't believe Scholar could main heal effectively against Colibri, thus they were hasting, refreshing, and curing the PLD when he didn't need to be cured. Well, that or they got panicky seeing anything but full health. Either way they made my position in the party mostly redundant.
            RDMs nowadays do this to WHMs, too, it's not just isolated with SCH. It drives me nuts! A RDM and a dedicated healer working together (instead of against each other) is an excellent team. They should be happy for the slightly lighter load and just let the other healer be the main. With SCH in the party you'll still be carrying a full Refresh Haste and Enfeeb cycle, so {Conserve MP} and let the healer heal.
            sigpic
            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Omniblast View Post
              Aside from this curative spell growth pre-30, you're going to have to explain that one. They're pretty good healers, I've never had a problem managing healing as SCH.

That aside, I've been invited to be a nuker or a healer and depending on whether or not there's a DNC or RDM around, I get to do a bit of both. If we have BLMs, i shift to the curing role a bit more deeply; if we have a WHM, I just focus on nuking more.

In either case, I generally prefer to run with a WHM or RDM subjob over BLM. BLM is nice for damage, but Manifestation offers much less than Accession does to a PT, so I favor subs I can use Accession with.

Comment

Consensus from Ramuh: AF Skirts for Elvaan F or GTFO.
                Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

I've noticed I get awesome invites, one time we had a RDM in the pt, and I was like hey can you main heal so I can nuke, only one person said no I want you to main heal then everyone els in the pt was like "no let her nuke" so ya know it just go's to show how good SCH can nuke, provided you cap your elemental magic so that you resist less often =)

Comment

Originally posted by Tsrwedge View Post
                    This is the Support Job equivalent to "penis waving". I can heal faster/better than you therefore GTFO my party, you're gimping my XP. The RDM feels the need to be "the best" healer in the party so people go "Wow! That RDM was awesome, but did you see that SCH? They barely ever cured and their MP was always full." It doesn't matter what two healers you put in a party, you will always get this--hell, Bards sometimes do it and they don't have but a miniscule amount of MP.

I have to disagree completely. SCH's spell selection indicates, quite obviously, that they were intended to be able to fill the role of a main healer. They can do so competently. They also do more damage than a WHM. Invite them as a main healer (with a splash of damage) for when you don't need a fully loaded WHM healer.

Comment

On Ifrit, my SCH have been invited as:
                      1. Main healer
                      2. Main nuker
                      3. Mixed healer/nuker
                      4. Random job to fill up the last slot.

#1 was the most frequent, followed probably by #4. ._. What I ended up doing, though, is usually #3, with quite a bit of enfeebling tossed in.

Don't have problem with being main healer, but in parties which take more more damage than one SCH can comfortably cure, a little help from a co-healer would be nice. (Did I mention I absolutely detest BLUs who refuse cure because they think their MP is for damage and Cocoon only?)
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I also have to disagree on this one; once they get Cure II, SCH can main heal just fine. The trouble is that they get Cure II so late that between that and no MAB, they're forced to worm-solo/Campaign Op/chocobo race their way to 20. Once they get there, though, they can both main heal and nuke effectively with the proper subs. -- Pteryx

Comment

Originally posted by Pteryx View Post
                          I also have to disagree on this one; once they get Cure II, SCH can main heal just fine. The trouble is that they get Cure II so late that between that and no MAB, they're forced to worm-solo/Campaign Op/chocobo race their way to 20. Once they get there, though, they can both main heal and nuke effectively with the proper subs. -- Pteryx
                          I really had no compliants about having to solo past the dunes, these days, that's more of a blessing. I really didn't start PTing til Kazham at 25. I've worm soloed many jobs and subs now.

Comment

Actually, I've gotta set the record straight here - I partied from about 15 on, which yes, included Dunes, and every BLM (including Tarus) I partied with I beat on any given spell's peak damage. This was without much anything of an INT build - something of an MP build, but mostly a "sod-it" build (no, it didn't hurt parties).

I don't know if there's a hidden MAB in Dark Arts or if SCH's early stats are a bit skewed, but I definitely wasn't hurting for damage in Dunes, Sauromugue Beetles, or Qufim.
                            Wii Number - 2810 2423 4673 3261 - Please PM me if you add me!
                            How to ask smart questions: catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Boom! (On SCH75/RDM)

Comment

Most people who invite me don't know what spells we can cast or what our abilities do.

Nothing more really needs to be said, but for your entertainment...

"We don't have Raise."
                              (Basically every party since level 40...)

"Erase plz"

"Dispel plz"

“Haste plz”

"Can you give me Phalanx?"
                              (At least this guy knew what Accession does. )

"SCH can't AoE self buffs"
                              (This came from a PLD who'd been buzzing with Enthunder for 3 consecutive fights.)
                              So their consensus doesn’t matter much.

I still sometimes get a "WTF?" when I use Accession, usually followed by "phalanx?!". I mainly use my charges for Accession with Protect, Shell, or an Enspell, or for Parsimony. Depends on the party and what's going on at the moment. PLD and dual-wielders love the Enspells.

Whether I heal, enfeeble, or nuke is down to what other jobs are with me and what we fight. I find that I am always invited "to heal" but this has little impact on what I actually do in the party. People seem to believe that Dancers can't main heal. I'll join a party with a DNC and be told "ur healer btw >.>" and end up never casting a Cure spell. Hell, a PLD alone often doesn't need more healing from me than Regen 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X