Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Weapon, Book?

Hello All,

I'd just like to say, SE will be coming out with more weapons, and I can't wait. I'm hoping that they use Scholar as an opportunity to bring out the Book. Two-handed?

Evion
    Current Server: Asura
    Current Home Nation: Bastok (Rank 10)
    Race/Sex: Elvaan/Male
    Main Job: 75 DRK / 37 SAM,RDM,NIN,WAR,WHM
    Main Craft: 73 Cloth

(Read this at a normal pace...)
    Tihs Msseage Connat Be Raed By Nromal Huamn Biegns. Pelsae Ntoify Yuor Firedns Taht If Tehy Can Raed Tihs, Taht Tehy Aenr't Namrol...Cnovrresly, Atmpetnig To Raed Tihs Msasege At Nmaorl Pcae And Bineg Albe To, Cna't be Namrol Etiehr...If Yor'ue Albe To Raed Tihs, Tehn Mybae Yur'oe Not Nrmaol.

Re: New Weapon, Book?

Nope.
    Originally posted by Gobo View Post
    By the way, Scholar’s mainly use Staves and Clubs, and the book is simply an effect generated through use of their abilities. They cannot attack with books as Scholars did in Final Fantasy III.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

A two-handed book?

Comment

Yeah, two-handed... Can you see them holding a book in one hand and a shield in the other? Besides, how would they turn the page mid-battle?

Tihs Msseage Connat Be Raed By Nromal Huamn Biegns. Pelsae Ntoify Yuor Firedns Taht If Tehy Can Raed Tihs, Taht Tehy Aenr't Namrol...Cnovrresly, Atmpetnig To Raed Tihs Msasege At Nmaorl Pcae And Bineg Albe To, Cna't be Namrol Etiehr...If Yor'ue Albe To Raed Tihs, Tehn Mybae Yur'oe Not Nrmaol.

Comment

How would they beat monsters with a book? I mean, I know it's used in various games as a weapon, but if you're going to try and argue 2-handed over 1-handed for realism...

Comment

I imagine the animation would look very similar to the Dagger. Obviously, low damage. But, perhaps low delay as well...

Comment

How would they beat monsters with a book? I mean, I know it's used in various games as a weapon, but if you're going to try and argue 2-handed over 1-handed for realism...
              In FFT, the character would open it, utter some words, presumably reading from it, and that would damage the enemy. Oddly enough, you could only target things exactly three panels away, and come to think of it, I don't think Silence stopped you from attacking.

But realism means nothing. You could dual wield books in FFIII, and you'd smack mobs around with closed books no differently than you'd swing a dagger or sword. Of course, the damage was sucky.

Comment

I'd hit people with a book, but not one big enough to require two hands.

Dual wield Dictionary +1 and Thesaurus +1.

Comment

Of course it means nothing. But I mean, if Evion is going to argue realism when I question why he choose 2handed over 1, then I feel it's only right to point out that, hello, it's a book.

The books we see are obviously part of the JA or Spell animations, so I imagine that a currently in-game weapon will likely be their main way to melee.

Comment

Those corners can really hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Evion View Post
                      Hello All,
                      I'd just like to say, SE will be coming out with more weapons, and I can't wait. I'm hoping that they use Scholar as an opportunity to bring out the Book. Two-handed?
                      Evion
                      ...why would SE create a new type of melee weapon for an obviously backline casting job?

If Dancer doesn't get a new weapon class, no job will.
                      "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

2 handed books? hmm lets just hope it is a two handed book and not a single handed book, the double entendres that will start flying.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                          ...why would SE create a new type of melee weapon for an obviously backline casting job?

If Dancer doesn't get a new weapon class, no job will.
                          Uh, I'd presume that Book was not a melee weapon and increased INT or MND or something...

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                          In FFT, the character would open it, utter some words, presumably reading from it, and that would damage the enemy.
                          Or this...

Comment

Originally posted by Evion View Post
                            I imagine the animation would look very similar to the Dagger. Obviously, low damage. But, perhaps low delay as well...
                            That's not how you hit someone with a Book, you need a nice over head swing.

Either that or you use them as ranged ammunition and equip a satchel as your ranged weapon then use an animation similar to other throwing weapons.

Comment

Of course it means nothing. But I mean, if Evion is going to argue realism when I question why he choose 2handed over 1, then I feel it's only right to point out that, hello, it's a book.
                              Good point, my bad.
                              Uh, I'd presume that Book was not a melee weapon and increased INT or MND or something...
                              By "melee" weapon he means a "not a ranged attack" weapon. Not a "meant for doing good damage" weapon. His point is that Dancer, which is actually meant to be in the front lines and hit things, does not get a new weapon class, so it'd be asinine to make a new weapon for a backline mage job.

Comment

Working...
                              X