A way to solo or duo SAM to 50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A way to solo or duo SAM to 50?

Hey all. I have a question that may or may not have an answer.

Right now a friend and I are both level 23 SAMs. SAM happens to be my only non-static job in my LS and I'm itching to get a job past 34 (my current highest job is 34 BLU). I really want to take SAM to 50 at least for the AF armor (since it looks so freaking cool). My question is WHERE can I go to solo/duo at 23?

I realize this may not have a good answer. BLU can basically solo to 25 easy, and then duo to 75 with no problems. Even WAR and MNK can duo to 30 (at least). But I don't know about two SAMs. I would think their combined firepower would wipe mobs pretty quick, but the problem is the paper-thin defense. Subbing BLU might help with that (stacking the spells that are +VIT and then pollen for cure).

For those who wonder why I don't get into pick-me-up parties, I've really had absolutely no luck in them. The last few that I've been in (complete pick-me-up parties, mind you, not the parties where 3/4 of it were LS members with 1 or 2 extra people or PLers) I've ended up with negative xp. So I'd rather be able to duo it and at least gain SOME xp, even if it is slowly.

1-10 was outside of starting cities
    10-14 was highlands
    14-19 was dunes (lizards and sand bats)
    19-23 was korrokola tunnel
    23-?? is... ??

(x-posting this to a few places to better get answers/replies)
    Last edited by Iyouboushi; 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM.
    [Name: Iyouboushi] [Race: Hume] [Gender: Male] [Nation: Bastok] [Rank: 5]
    [Jobs: WAR: 47 | MNK: 55 | WHM: 51 | BLM: 49 | RDM: 87 | THF: 34 | PLD: 34 | DRK: 7 | BST: 40 | RNG: 39 | SAM: 99 | NIN: 67 | DRG: 18 | SMN: 20 | BLU: 58 | COR: 76 | PUP: 17 | DNC: 49]
    [Crafts: Fishing: 12.8 | Alchemy: 6.7 | Bonecraft: 7.6 | Clothcraft: 7.7 | Cooking: 56 | Leathercraft: 4.0 | Smithing: 2.3 | Goldsmithing: 4.5 | Woodworking: 21.6] [Guild Points: 20305]

Re: A way to solo or duo SAM to 50?

Originally posted by Iyouboushi View Post
    For those who wonder why I don't get into pick-me-up parties, I've really had absolutely no luck in them. The last few that I've been in I've ended up with negative xp. So I'd rather be able to duo it and at least gain SOME xp, even if it is slowly.
    1-10 was outside of starting cities
    10-14 was highlands
    14-19 was dunes (lizards and sand bats)
    19-23 was korrokola tunnel
    23-?? is... ??
    (x-posting this to a few places to better get answers/replies)
    Well, of course you're going to lose XP during these levels. It's the dunes.

Once you get past 20, exp parties tend to get better and people make better parties. I would highly suggest making your own exp parties of 6, as opposed to soloing on Easy Prey mobs and still possibly dying and losing exp, after which you're SoL.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Maybe switch to SAM/DNC at later levels?

You will need level 60 in order to wear the AF hat. And some pieces of SAM's AF are not *solo-able* [reasonably] at level 60.

For solo:
      19-23: Stick to worms in Korrokola Tunnel.
      23-27: Bats + Worms are okay in Korrokola Tunnel.
      27-30: Qufim Island.

At level 30, the exp. mobs difficulties seems to scale up compare to previous levels. At level 50, there is another jump in difficulties.
      Server: Quetzalcoatl
      Race: Hume Rank 7
      75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Partys suck for you because you don't trust anyone outside of your LS. This means you hold back and only act on your benefit in pick-ups and shows you don't trust the party so they. in turn, don't trust you and hold back for thier benefit as well

If you're going to insist on being this stubborn, level DNC sub. That can be soloed easily and its applications to SAM should be crystal clear by now.

As for soloing to 50, good luck with that. It will be a long, slooooooow path filled with worms and BST mob pets. Honestly, though, you're making it longer, harder and slower than it has to be. Not to mention, by not PTing at all, you're not learning a thing about how to tank SAM in pinch situations. Worse is that you've already convinced yourself that SAM has paper-thin defense when it honestly has better DEF than most melee jobs.

Aside: What the hell is it with people and looking for an "out" when levelling a job these days. BLU skipping spells, CORs using gimped bullets, SAMS that want to solo - really, WTF?

Aside 2: Why do people encourage this behavior by telling such OPs what they want to hear?

Comment

Er, I guess I should have been a little more specific. That's my own fault here. Some more info I probably should have mentioned at the start:

- I don't have WotG. I was saving the money on that until I could join campaign (so level 60+).

- Another reason why I don't try to do pick-me-up parties is because there's very few tanks seeking. I went to the dunes with my SAM friend and managed to get a WHM, and a BRD but no tank. After about 30 min of waiting, everyone decided they'd rather do something else and disbanded. Of course, it was only after this that I learned two SAMs can tank okay in the dunes (had I known we could have just progressed forward).

Partys suck for you because you don't trust anyone outside of your LS. This means you hold back and only act on your benefit in pick-ups and shows you don't trust the party so they. in turn, don't trust you and hold back for thier benefit as well
          Whaaa? Where is THIS coming from?? I always give it my all in parties (pick-me-up or not). In those horrible parties where I ended up with negative xp, it's because I provoked so everyone else could flee and save themselves. I usually end up trying to help teach where I can and give advice. Yes, those parties did get a little better but it just wasn't enough for me.

Aside: What the hell is it with people and looking for an "out" when levelling a job these days. BLU skipping spells, CORs using gimped bullets, SAMS that want to solo - really, WTF?
          I have never skimped out on spells (except or wild carrot, since the rabbits just won't use it, but I WILL go back and get it). I have a 34 BLU that has every spell, sans wild carrot, up to 36. When I played COR I made sure I used the bullets and the best gun that I could get for that level. Please don't assume I'm doing this just because I'm trying to skip stuff.

I'm in a static LS that doesn't want to level past 34 it seems. They continually level in the dunes and qufim with other jobs. I've played FFXI on and off for 4 years and those are the only zones I've seen for the past 2 months. I am so sick of leveling in dunes and qufim that I'm almost on the verge of taking another hiatus off.
          [Jobs: WAR: 47 | MNK: 55 | WHM: 51 | BLM: 49 | RDM: 87 | THF: 34 | PLD: 34 | DRK: 7 | BST: 40 | RNG: 39 | SAM: 99 | NIN: 67 | DRG: 18 | SMN: 20 | BLU: 58 | COR: 76 | PUP: 17 | DNC: 49]
          [Crafts: Fishing: 12.8 | Alchemy: 6.7 | Bonecraft: 7.6 | Clothcraft: 7.7 | Cooking: 56 | Leathercraft: 4.0 | Smithing: 2.3 | Goldsmithing: 4.5 | Woodworking: 21.6] [Guild Points: 20305]

Comment

...pick-me-up parties...
            I can't help picturing groups of wandering Tarus /panicking and setting off fireworks, handing out flowers and "Hang in there!" kitten posters.
            Ellipses on Fenrir
            There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
            . . .

Comment

Partying past Qufim isn't nearly as bad as a party in the dunes. There will be some bad ones, but the majority will be decent and will get you more exp for your time. I started leveling SAM again last week. I got from level 33 to 39 in two days with decent parties. If I was soloing or duoing, it would have taken A LOT longer. My advice is to sub dnc and solo on Easy Prey monsters while you're looking for a party.

If you're absolutely bent on soloing or duoing, take a look here Final Fantasy XI FFXI FF11 Vana'diel-Treasure, NM, Quests, Missions, Assault, Monster, Spell and look for monsters that are the same level as you or close to it. I don't know much about solo spots at that level, so I can't really help much more than that :x
              Last edited by Gyotsha; 04-15-2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Hmm. Looks like tier 3 goblins in Dunes and the leeches there might be our best bet. But I'll give random parties another shot. I'll LFG while soloing/duoing and see what happens.

That site is nice, thanks Gyotsha.

Comment

- Another reason why I don't try to do pick-me-up parties is because there's very few tanks seeking. I went to the dunes with my SAM friend and managed to get a WHM, and a BRD but no tank. After about 30 min of waiting, everyone decided they'd rather do something else and disbanded. Of course, it was only after this that I learned two SAMs can tank okay in the dunes (had I known we could have just progressed forward).
                  Once again, this is all happening around the dunes levels. It's difficult to find the jobs you're looking for at these levels. Once you get higher up, it'll become easier to find parties.

Also, I really wouldn't suggest soloing unless you have experience on a 75 job first. It takes a lot of time and effort and if not done right, you'll want to quit the game even faster.

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                  I don't know, but this is nothing compared to MrMageo's "This is how you should do this!" threads.

Aside 2: Why do people encourage this behavior by telling such OPs what they want to hear?
                  Only because it follows the forum's rules of staying on-topic. =p I'm sure people are rolling their eyes half the time though.
                  ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Well if you absolutely want to duo, at least ...

Find a:

DRG
                    PUP
                    DNC

You will sub WAR and tank, while the 3 jobs mentioned will keep you alive.
                    [LadyKiKi]
                    Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
                    .:|The Prototype BST|:.
                    Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

I'm in a static LS that doesn't want to level past 34 it seems. They continually level in the dunes and qufim with other jobs. I've played FFXI on and off for 4 years and those are the only zones I've seen for the past 2 months. I am so sick of leveling in dunes and qufim that I'm almost on the verge of taking another hiatus off.
                      Sooooo you're saying your static is holding you back? Just using some basic logic here, but if you really want to advance past 34 while your static seems to have no desire to... maaaaybe don't static with those people anymore?

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                      ------
                      Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                      When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

How did you manage to come to this ridiculous conclusion from reading the OP? The poster was frustrated at negative exp gain and wonder if he's better off without pickup groups, not "I hate PUGs and refuse to use food or WS if in one."

I don't know about other parts, but wanting to get away from pickup groups is fairly common and rather understandable. (When you see a PLD outdamaging NIN and nearly catching SAM, you'd shake your head at those PUGs, too--though, since I was the PLD, they were kinda funny and ego boosting, so not entirely horrible.)

Other people avoid PUGs for the reason of not able to get one; if I put up my seek flag on PLD75, how many depressing days do I have to wait to get an invite? Much rather just do Campaign Battles or cobble together LS parties (we went to Castle Oztroja [S] as a 5-man group, pretending to be a merit party).

Experience Scrolls
                        and Campaign Operations are also viable alternatives to pick up groups for experience points, though not speedy ones. Most of the exp scrolls may be hard to come by at Lv.20-something, though.
                        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

How did you manage to come to this ridiculous conclusion from reading the OP? The poster was frustrated at negative exp gain and wonder if he's better off without pickup groups, not "I hate PUGs and refuse to use food or WS if in one."
                          So he had a few bad PTs, it happens, thats no reason to solo to 50. The fact that he statics most of his other jobs and expressed the desire to solo based on a few bad PTs speaks volumes about his trust toward pick-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten
                            So he had a few bad PTs, it happens, thats no reason to solo to 50. The fact that he statics most of his other jobs and expressed the desire to solo based on a few bad PTs speaks volumes about his trust toward pick-ups.
                            So, you did your normal thing and half read the post, then started preaching about something vaguely related that's been bugging you. Nah, not gonna let you weasel out of this one. You wanted to know before why I considered you, "blind and angry"? This is why. Five years ago, you came to this forum a wide-eyed little newbie, you asked good questions, you respected other players and welcomed help. Somehow in the year off from the game and boards I took, you changed into a complete tool.

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten
                            Because that was the question they asked. In every example you've cited, no one has asked if what they wanted to do was either a good or a smart idea. You, on the other hand, have flown off the handle and answered these unspoken questions in the most annoying way possible. They are asking if it's POSSIBLE to fight with one hand tied behind your back. The answer to this question is: yes, yes it is. It takes some doing and you need to change your strategy in the following ways... but it is POSSIBLE. The answer to whether or not it was smart to fight that was is an obvious "F@#$ NO!", but again, they didn't ask this. When you accuse us of being too soft on newbies, trying to encourage them along on what you perceive as the wrong path, you're still assuming that this question matters to the discussion. If it was never asked, we've all assumed that the OP already knew it wasn't the best course, and asked if his alternative would work and how. Every one of these OP's has at least half a brain, they possess the sense God gave the common chicken and can see that they're not going to be the best at that job by accomplishing their goals in this manner. We all read these posts and assume that for the reasons the OP is giving, as well as several he's probably not giving us, he can't do things in the perfect way you'd like him to. As such, we respect his intelligence enough to tell him if it's even feasible and how.

Do you know the difference between you and me, kitten? You are a priest, and I am a tactician. You believe very strongly in your way of doing things and you are willing to force the situation to conform to this way, or in waiting until you can force things to be conformable to it. I, on the other hand, once won $5000.00 on a hand of poker by betting on a pair of twos. I beat two players who had placed in the regionals for the World Poker Championships for the region containing Nevada. I realized that it was risky and incredibly stupid to even try betting on a pair of twos, but twos were the cards I had. They were the cards I was dealt, and I play to win. So again, you can sit in your little pulpit and rail at the dangers of our wrongheaded thinking. Me? I'm going to look over his hand and start figuring out how he can pull off that upset he's hoping for.

Of the two of us, one of us is actually useful to this discussion. Guess which one that is?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

Believe me when I say I know it's not the best way of doing things. There have been some parties with the static when we were getting over 9000 xp/hr in Qufim and were just blowing levels by. I already know that leveling SAM solo would take forever and a day. It's just something I'd like to be able to do when the LS isn't on, LFG is getting me nowhere, and I don't feel like crafting or farming (which I've done...a lot).

And most of my LS is filled with some really close friends (a few I've known for 7+ years). That's the reason why I don't want to just break the static and leave them in the dust. It's also why I picked SAM to be my non-static job (since we have plenty of DDs in the LS). If I catch up to the group, great. If I don't, well I still have a lot of other jobs I can use with them so it's not a huge loss.

Comment

Working...
                              X