Aspiring Samurai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspiring Samurai

Well over the weekend I hit level 30 and also have been gathering up gear for my journey to 75.

But I just want to make sure it's smooth sailing. I got my O.Kotes, Jujitsu Gi, and I camped Bugbear strongman for the Shinimusa Haidate lvl50 Store TP+6. Also wearing Balance Ring+Rajas Ring until I hit 40. I have woodsman ring to replace the Balance. And I got a Soboro GK for when I hit 50.

I've been gathering up gear before I need it. Also got some AF2 and AF1+1 items to repare for that when I get there.

So I was just wondering if there are any armor or weapons to look for on my way up. lol

Also, wondering how often Zanshin takes effect? Good enough to forgo Sushi and just have ATK Food? My main job is DRK so I use a bit of both depending on what I'm fighting.

I've read up on Meditate so I'm sure I can use it effectively.

Also I tossed my Mumieto lol Am I able to get it back to do AF1? Or am I SOL?
    Last edited by Hustler_One; 06-19-2006, 06:21 AM.

Re: Aspiring Samurai

When you start AF1 you can purchase another Mumieto from an NPC for 30,000G.

The big ticket items are Ochiudo's Kote, Jujitsu Gi, and Fuma Kyhan, with those you'll be set for a while. There's also the level 50 JSE chest quest in Phomiuna Aqueducts. It seems like you've got all your equipment covered for the most part, but I'd also make sure I have /War, /Thf, and /Rng leveled up for the hell of it.

Comment

Yeah I have all three subjobs leveled.

I leveled /war /thf /nin for DRK as subs. And since I had /nin ready. I went ahead and did /rng ahead of time. Though that was before the patch where they messed with the ranged attacks.

Is /rng still viable? Since we're always in melee. Do the WS do as decent enough damage as before?

I was thinking of just going mostly /war since I have the Soboro. And /thf if the party really needs it. I haven't put too much thought into /rng since that patch. lol

Comment

I hear it's still pretty good because you can just Meditate, back up a bit, and fire them off pretty quickly. Skillchain options might be a bit limited, but with the Soboro you'd be firing one off every minute or so.

It's still probably a more situational sub job, but interesting nonetheless. You'd learn Sidewinder at 57 as Samurai, as opposed to 55 as a Ranger.

Comment

I hear that the O Kote is very overrated for samurai, if i purchase one i will probably sell it later just to buy a Haubergeon. i also dont plan on doing any AF other than the AF GK and the head piece, imo sam AF just is not very good. i definitly recomment a hauby tho, very nice body piece

Comment

Yeah I have a Haubergeon+1 from my DRK job.
            Also max STR merits / crit rates

Comment

Originally posted by IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
              I hear that the O Kote is very overrated for samurai, if i purchase one i will probably sell it later just to buy a Haubergeon. i also dont plan on doing any AF other than the AF GK and the head piece, imo sam AF just is not very good. i definitly recomment a hauby tho, very nice body piece
              If you're really dedicated to the job you'll obtain all pieces. Cutting corners is weak and for Bards.

Comment

Sam AF legs is a good piece too. has +STR iirc.
                Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

I'm too OCD not to get all of my AF (even if I don't necessarily get it right when I need it). Plus, AF Storage can't be undervalued.

Comment

Originally posted by ImpactionActionHero
                    Cutting corners is weak and for Bards.

To topic starter: Well I can't answer your Zanshin question and all the gear has already been said(fuma kya, JSE body brigad quest). With your gear setup so far you seem just fine.

Comment

heh, i dont think he meant that to insult brds if thats what you are thinking.
                      my guess is that since brd af isnt as useful. theres maybe 2 pieces that are ok (legs and hands), but other than that, brd af doesnt really do anything for the job like other afs do and thats why brds tend to not bother with af unless for novelty's sake. I know a few brds that didnt even bother getting their AF and spent time getting items like gaudy harness or minstrel's coat.
                      Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                      ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

reminds me of thief AF pants. only thing i really need.

Comment

FYI, Exiled, If you wanna get only the Samurai AF Helm, you have to get the feet in order to start the quest for the helm. And the Great Katana, but why WOULDNT you get that? Just letting you know so you dont pull out your hair trying to figure out why Jaucabrix wont give you the quest, lol. ( ^^)b

Comment

Originally posted by ImpactionActionHero

The big ticket items are Ochiudo's Kote, Jujitsu Gi, and Fuma Kyhan, with those you'll be set for a while.
                            Actually, with a 450 delay GKT, Fuma Kyahan are fairly worthless without haste at that level, I would avoid buying them all together to be honest. Here's a list of the haste and the amount of hits it will net you in a 50 and 60 second interval.

50 Second Fight - 6 Hits Standard
                            Hits - Haste
                            7 - 4.76%
                            8 - 16.67%
                            9 - 29.93%
                            10 - 33.33%
                            11 - 39.39%
                            12 - 44.44%
                            13 - 48.72%
                            ------------------
                            60 Second Fight - 8 Hits Standard
                            Hits - Haste
                            9 - 11.11%
                            10 - 20.0%
                            11 - 27.27%
                            12 - 33.33%
                            13 - 38.46%
                            14 - 42.86%
                            15 - 46.67%
                            16 - 50.0%

Also, Ochidos Kote, I duno how people get on this kick that they're over-rated. +20 attack at that level is perhaps one of the best single things you could do to improve your overall damage. Sure they're often ridiculously expensive nowadays, but cost aside they are the best handpiece you could be wearing, for a very long time.

EDIT: Haste chart given to me by Dalrek of Midgardsomr
                            Last edited by Nodachi; 06-20-2006, 10:16 AM.

Comment

On the topic of zanshin, it kicks in fairly often if you miss the initial swing but I wouldn't rely on it heavily for making up on lack of accuracy. I'd still use sushi or other food that will give +att/str and +dex/acc. Once you get a haubergeon (you said you had +1) you could test how well your acc goes with different foods and determine which you want to go with. Especially important to do that depending on the type of mobs you will be fighting (acc more for IT++++ mobs and not so much if you are fighting IT-- or VT type mobs).

I'd suggest doing all of the af pieces also...sure the body isn't that great but having the full set allows you to store the gear in the case that you have or end up having multiple af sets for jobs. I liked using the af pants, boots, gloves, and helm for different occassions but it's more dependent on what pieces you have available to you.

Later on, you probably already know but snagging up a hachiman domaru is a nice little bonus at 70 for your str modifier with yukikaze, gekko, kasha so it's another piece you'll want to snag once you get up there.

Overall, I think you are better prepared than I was for the most part when I was that level lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X