A Red Mage's role at 90?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Red Mage's role at 90?

Hey guys; I've recently returned to the game with a friend, and he was considering leveling red mage. I've been talking to a few people, though, and I've gotten the impression that red mage is no longer the "goto" job of endgame, as it was at 75. One person even went so far as to say they were really only using their rdms to refresh the whm/rdm's. Could someone who plays or has been around level 90 red mages in endgame events support or refute this idea?

I was assuming they'd still be the best enfeeblers, good with chainspell stun, good healers, good kiters etc..is this still true? Are Red Mages still desireable?

I find it hard to believe that red mage has truly just become a refresh whore, so I'm hoping someone can provide some evidence to the contrary.

Thanks

Re: A Red Mage's role at 90?

RDM are still good enfeeblers, but WHM is so overpowered that it doesn't really matter if you enfeeble or not.

And the reason WHM is overpowered is cure V and VI, which RDM don't get, so they're not really good healers anymore.

I don't remember the last time I've seen chainspell stun -- RDMs probably are still good at it, but I think there's a lot of unstunnable stuff now.

In some situations, being the third best nuker in the game is still good enough to be useful.
    Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
    RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
    All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Well this stinks. I just started the game and went RDM because I figured I could solo lower levels and then be the healer at higher levels. Although... I am just 11 so I could reroll. But I like the idea of a RDM. They're awesome. Cure is my best friend. Let's me solo with very low downtime.

I guess getting to 30 and then trying out all the classes would be best. Though I have a feeling I'll stick with RDM.
      sigpic

Comment

If you eventually choose another mage job to be your main, you'll probably want to have rdm leveled as a subjob, so it's not as though you've wasted time. Just because rdm isn't currently the best at a particular role doesn't mean they aren't still useful and fun to play, and the balance of which jobs are favored tends to shift from time to time, anyway.
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Thanks. I definitely enjoy it. Though Ninja's seem quite enticing. I somehow doubt that a NIN/RDM combo would be the most effective. But then again, play what you want, not what's needed, right? I hope as I level I will meet more players across Vana'diel so I can pick up parties more often.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suavebum View Post
            play what you want, not what's needed, right?
            Well, learn to strike a balance. When you're solo anything goes (and there's a level range where nin/rdm is pretty amazing), but when you're in a party you should respect the needs of your party members. Insisting on melee when the party needs a dedicated healer or vice versa obviously isn't helping anyone get exp. If you're lucky you'll find a group of friends who will let you experiment with creative styles as long as you perform your role competently, and rdm does lend itself to a variety of play styles.
            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Get to 41 and never look back.
              Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
              Name: Drjones
              Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                Well, learn to strike a balance. When you're solo anything goes (and there's a level range where nin/rdm is pretty amazing), but when you're in a party you should respect the needs of your party members. Insisting on melee when the party needs a dedicated healer or vice versa obviously isn't helping anyone get exp. If you're lucky you'll find a group of friends who will let you experiment with creative styles as long as you perform your role competently, and rdm does lend itself to a variety of play styles.
                I do love the versatility with the RDM. Sometimes you just want to try new things or fight different ways.

I totally agree with you on the respecting party members needs. I do place that first and foremost.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X