Back in Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in Action

First off, I'd like to say Hello to the RDM community.

I am currently 2 boxing a Drg/Whats needed and a RDM/WHM. As this is the RDM section I believe you all know which I'm here to talk about.

Currently my "little" (Taru) RDM is level 54 (Just completed Limit Break 2). He has BLM 18 (for warp) and whm 48 (to cover all the teleports (if he changes job obviously)). For the most part I have been using him as a black line job while my DRG takes care of the front line. Due to this my RDM is hurting on pretty much all of his defensive skills (evasion shield parry etc). I almost always have SSkin up so well I almost never even take damage. Currently I am wearing Electrum Rings and the 15 hp / mp earring and the 15 mp earring (cant recall names off the top of my head... antivenom is one of them i believe) Mobwa(sorry cant spell it) belt and neck. with the armor being a mixture of crow / AF (gloves and boots). He currently has roughly 680 hp and mp (he has roughly 15-20 more mp then hp).

Sorry if that was a bit too much information, I just wanted to try and explain where *I* am at as a RDM.
    The RDM is the 2nd computer so its the screen I glace at not watch.

I have been gone for about a year. My friends and I have decided to come back (the RDM was 48 when we came back a couple weeks ago and is 54 now). Before you ask, he has every spell that he can use at his level for RDM and WHM.

I no longer have any gear for swapping, I have absolutely no idea where it went. If I remember right a light and dark staff+1 are pretty much requirements right? Light for cures and dark for resting? What else is a big item for RDM?

When I was playing last having your HP and MP close to the same was a big thing, Is that skill the case? or should I focus on HP or MP more?

Should I work on my RDM frontline skills and have him join in on melee as well? or would he pretty much just be feeding the mob TP?

Currently my convert macro is
    /ja "Divine Seal" <me>
    /wait 1
    /ja "Convert" <me>
    /wait 1
    /ma "Cure IV" <me>

and I always make sure I have at least SSkin up before converting and sometimes even Blink as well. (I always maintain Refresh Protect Shell Reraise and Aquaveil ) Basically I just wanted to know if this "method" for convert is solid or if it could use some improvements. As far as the DS+CureIV for agro issues, I almost never pull hate off my DRG and in the rare case that does happen a Penta Thrust sets everything straight again (including after a DS+CureIV).

For enfeebles I usually run (in this order) Slow Gravity Dia II Paralyze Poison. Am I missing anything? How is the casting order? From what I recall the big talk about using Gravity is that it carries a -10 evasion with it. Is this true? or am I just casting gravity based off old hearsay?

With what I described above, I almost always find myself casting / converting. a normal fight for me is Refresh -> Haste -> Slow -> Grav -> Dia II -> Paralyze -> Poison -> Cure IV -> Regen. At that point I usually have a few spare moments (generally 20-30 seconds) and then its a Cure IV or 2 and start the cycle over. usually 2 cycles and a Em-T is dead on a VT toss in a few more cures and a 3rd cycle and thats pretty much it. Its been a long time since i played RDM but I somewhat feel like im forgetting something (maybe its the lack of gear swaps).

The last thing id like to mention is that before you blaste me for 2 boxing a RDM, My DRG (Elvaan) was a RDM 1-37 before I ever 2 boxed long ago before FoV and book refresh. I like to think I know the core of what a RDM entails but I also feel that I have a lot of room to grow... which is why I'm here.

I know RDM is probally the WORST job to 2 box as out of every job ive ever played it seems to always have the most going on. I just cant give up Refresh/Convert + A+ Enfeebles and A Cures with B- Nukes (my raitings for the various skills not the games) for a personal support character. When hes a WHM I miss convert/refresh and seem to have a lot of down time. When im RDM i dont even need to be at a stationary location and I seem to have much less downtime then WHM.

Anyhow I look forward to any advice you all have and hope I'm not doing too bad.

Re: Back in Action

1. Gravity does infact lower evasion
    2. Yeah your fine with your SS/Blink Convert
    3. If you start engaging with your rdm he'll pull more hate, which shouldn't be a problem if you have SS up. Honestly it's just a matter of how busy you wanna be.
    4. Also Composure is so awesomely broken, use it as soon as you zone, as long as your not going to level sync.

And Drg and Rdm aren't super difficult, you'll basically need to watch your jump timers, and your TP on drg, and then play the rdm. Try PUP and rdm .... fucking hair pulling excitment ^^

Comment

Ahh Just looked up composure. Sounds freaking awesome as hell. I did notice it in my JA's when I logged back in for the first time but havent gotten arrount to researching it until now. I cant wait to try this out tonight. Thanks for giving me a reason to look it up :D. I think with composure it will give me plenty of time to start meleeing with the RDM insted of back lineing him.

Well last night I used composure... its very nice. was able to do Composure > Refresh > Haste > SSkin > Blink > Drop Composure then rinse and repeat. Saved me SOOO much mana it was crazy.
      Last edited by Dyft; 09-03-2009, 06:38 AM. Reason: added to it rather than making a new post.

Comment

I tried out composure when it came out, and yeah its broken as hell. Sadly, RDM is prolly done for me, thank the Alexander server for that. Too many people ruined the RDM experience =/. Maybe when i finish out Nin i can go solo rdm/nin to 60, but I dont ever see it going to 75.
        SAM 75 - COR 75 - RDM 56 - SMN 41 - RNG 46 - DNC 37 - WAR 40 - WHM 34 - DRG 26

60 Merits

Alexander Server
        Allegiance - San d'oria Rank 7
        COP 4-2 / ZM 14 / TOAU - 20 / Campaign - Starlight Medal

Linkshell - Honour, Bootyhunters Dyna

Crafts
        Woodworking 25 / Goldsmithing 1 / Everything Else 0

Comment

Most will come back with the experience of playing again. I came back from a break about 2 months ago and its was hard getting back into the swing of things, i was 75 b4 i left. Composer works wonders for saving mp. if you are planning to take rdm to 75 i suggest lvln nin for shadows then you can have rdm just atuo att while hes not casting and your consentration on mob. With rdm/nin as a powerful solo job( and potential tank) while you duel box with your drg you can take down some serious mobs in a short amount of time. I duel box sometimes with my 75rdm/nin and my bros sam (70 atm). its hard, not going to lie, but i like the challenge. well without going into a complete detail of how to duel box and duo that sums it up. hope it helps.

Comment

hate to jump on the necro band wagon. But RDM/DNC would be better for an auto-attack job when paired with a big DD like DRG or SAM.

For DRG/mage Aspir samba is delicious on birds, absolutely delicious. RDM should not pull hate, the DRG will never run out of MP and the healing power or the wyvern with a RDM in support with TP cures in support is crazy good.

DRG/melee. Drain Samba II for 20 HP per swing is hella nice, with regen and haste it comes to 25 hp every 3 seconds or so. Which is nuts. (considering a DRG/SAM using seigan 3/eye will not be hit 100% of the time.) again the healing support of RDM/DNC is nice.

SAM/anything see DRG/melee

When it comes down to it the support provided by simply auto attacking a RDM/DNC is nuts. With Dia II/III and Box Step is a 15/20 def reduction (or 17%/22% ATK increase). The infinite MP of a RDM provides healing forever, the healing waltz is and erase, the sambas are added regen or refresh, and the curing waltzs themselves are "instant" heals if something hits you unpredictably hard. Add in Agnon from DRG and you are looking at a 35-40% reduction which equates to a 55-60ish% ATK increase. The added Heals allow for more DD oriented subs such as WAR which provides yet a further increase to ATK.
            Compared to /NIN it is no contest, the added damage (on birds specifically with a joyeuse) can increase kill speeds and chains. The plethora of defense RDM already has at its disposal makes lack of shadows moot. (if it pulls hate at all).

All in all RDM/DNC is the complete package for support in a low man, duo, dual box, situation. It blows the socks off anything else, and in the coming months the added haste samba at 90/45 will put 20% haste out there (assuming no haste 2 with increased haste % value.)

sig courtesy tgm
            retired -08

Comment

Have you try rdm/blu composure stonskin coocon work good use low dely dagger and haste on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Drkray View Post
                Have you try rdm/blu composure stonskin coocon work good use low dely dagger and haste on top.
                First off, Composure specifically only works with "self-cast White or Black Enhancing Magic." It will therefore not work with Cocoon.

Secondly, your post is painful to read.

Thirdly, you're going to have to put some more effort in to arguing why RDM/BLU "work good." I was leveling Blue Mage myself as a potential sub for Red Mage, until I realized I was absolutely wasting my time with that. All /BLU really offers is Auto-Regen, Cocoon, and EX Sword Weaponskills (which is wasted anyway if you're using a Dagger). The half-level Blue Magic Skill will gimp pretty much anything else you try to cast.

Even with the level cap increase, the biggest new thing /BLU could possibly offer is one tier of Attack Bonus. Color me meh. Chain Affinity sounds cool on paper, being able to self-skillchain and Magic Burst on top of that for more Magic Accuracy, but one) since the damage from the physical Blue Magic spells would be gimped, and that's the one you would close the skillchain with, the skillchain damage would, therefore, be even more gimp; two) all Blue Magic until, like, level 67+ only has tier I skillchain attributes to them; and three) if you really want to WS for more Magic Accuracy, by the time you would be able to use Chain Affinity on /BLU, you would already have had access to Death Blossom for about five levels (which, again, laughs at the lack of subbable tier II skillchain attributes from Blue Magic).

Really, after considering everything /BLU has to offer to Red Mage, I personally find more use in /PLD, and I'm sure most Red Mages of the future will find that /DRK offers everything they could ask for. Furthermore, and I can't believe that I am saying this, but even Mageo has at least put something resembling thought in to why he thinks RDM/DNC is cool, and he, therefore, has a handful on things he can use to try and back up his claim. I mean, I'm the RDM/PLD guy, so I can hardly blame him for trying something unorthodox if that's really what he wants to do (so long as he does it on his own time, of course).
                Originally posted by Armando
                No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                Matthew 16:15

Comment

Why do people keep necroing this?

Comment

coocon it just do save on dmg you take with stonskin on

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                      Why do people keep necroing this?
                      Because we're bored and want to discuss something about Red Mage.

YellowMage, you seem pretty set on BLU being pretty subpar in what it offers. Are the free +stats for equipping spells on top of what you listed really just not that big a deal? I figured some free +MND would be nice to give some wiggle-room on gear while sword chucking. Maybe I'll see the light once I finish leveling it, but BLU seems like it'll be a pretty decent subjob for when I feel like meleeing.
                      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                      Name: Drjones
                      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

If you equip spells specifically for MND, you can get +7 MND at the cost of 11 Blue Magic Points at level 99 RDM/ level 49 BLU. At 75/37, it's +4 MND for 6 Blue Magic Points. Not to mention that +INT spells barely even exist: there's a +1 INT spell at 30, and a +1 INT spell at 44 - that's it.

So, the short answer: yes, they really aren't that big a deal; I could probably get just as much MND from /PLD alone simply from it just being Paladin (and let's not get in to how stupid-good Absorb-MND is for /DRKs).

Again, /BLU's only unique redeeming factor is Cocoon.
                        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                        Matthew 16:15

Comment

Phooey, I thought there were more customization options. Still, +50% defense from Cocoon should be enough for a few good melee solos I intend to try. Since I can't really fund /NIN properly I'm treating Cocoon like a poor man's Utsusemi. If nothing else I'm having fun leveling BLU so it's all good.
                          Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                          Name: Drjones
                          Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

RDM/BLU has its uses, but they are fairly niche applications.

Two examples I can think of:
                            1. The Requiem quest (BRD AF). Sheep Song was used to sleep the skeletons I wasn't working on, and Bludgeon was used to increase damage output. These skeletons aren't all that high in level, though.

2. RDM/BLU x2, attempted to duo nation mission 5.1 (The Ruins of Fei'Yin; Lv.50 cap). We got it down to less than 10% once, but just not enough time to finish it. We used /BLU for Auto Regen, Cocoon, Battle Dance (one-shot the adds), and Bludgeon.

I want to say Head Butt for Stun worked, but it's be so long I don't remember clearly. Also, I'm reasonably sure Sheep Song worked on the Ancient Warriors, but it was more efficient to just take them out with Battle Dance.

By the way, I used Chainspell Bludgeon to take down one of the Ancient Sorcerers--it seemed to have been more MP efficient than Fire II. If geared correctly and loaded with MP meds, I'm pretty sure RDM/BLU x3 would have won, but we were sick of the BC fight after a few tries, so called in friends to help.

Does RDM have any decent club? lol.

When going toe-to-toe, RDM has great piercing damage options, and decent slashing damage options. The way I look at /BLU is that it offers a blunt-type damage option via Bludgeon, at a modest MP cost. This can be efficient, when either the target is relatively low leveled, or when capped to relatively low levels.

Though I can't think of real situations where I'd want to do this , there are critters with spike effects which cannot be dispelled (by Dispel), and Blue Magic is the go-to source for physical damage when players don't want to engage (or don't want face the monster due to gaze attacks).

Also, once the level cap increases, Blank Gaze will be a light aligned alternative for critter resistant to dark aligned Dispel. Of course, there's always Cocoon, probably the most outstanding spell from /BLU. The Killer traits shouldn't make or break anything, but my Bibiki Seashell had made breaking latent weapons using crabs a bit easier, so I guess that shouldn't be disregarded entirely.

Skeletons aside, I had reasonable success using DRG/BLU's Head Butt to stun bats in exp party in Garlaige Citadel. I imagine on anything which Head Butt from /BLU can work, RDM/BLU may be an alternative to RDM/DRK for stun when toe-to-toe, depending on how critical the stun lands and how useful Cocoon/Aspir is, etc.

Avesta used RDM/BLU to solo Charybdis, but I think he used it just for Cocoon.
                            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Physical blue skills are based mostly on the acc of your main hand weapon (like DNC steps). Which means you will land the spells more often than not. The added effects such as stun on Head Butt is whre the skill comes in. It determines the potency and proc. However in life/death situations where you must get headbutt off MACC gear works pretty well the same. (there are some suggestions that INT/MND may also play a factor in determining the proc/potency rate of some of these spells.)

When it comes down to it, RDM/??? is really a personal choice over the next. Personally I love /DNC, yellow like /PLD , DrKray likes/BLU. Three different jobs three different opinions. You could sub cor if you wanted and it would make little to no difference. In all cases the RDM is the focus not the subjob. All these subs do i offer a few extra tools for our already large bag of tricks. You could go RDM/nothing and still be just as effective in a low man group than RDM/anything.

*edit* just a note on Headbutt sometimes the knock back itself is enough to save the day, from a spell being cast. Combined with speedy movement you can actually avoid getting hit with WS's too by getting the "out of range" message, The latter takes knowing when you can run and have the spell still go off. Since we are pretty sure mobs lose TP when they get that message (like we do) its a good way to wipe the slate clean sometimes. However, most things that are worrisome to gt hit with a TP move are probably being killed by a party/ally or being solo'd by some job that can take it, such as a RDM.

sig courtesy tgm
                              retired -08

Comment

Working...
                              X