Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know I've made mistakes along the way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know I've made mistakes along the way...

but I used my current character as a test character to get a feel for the game. I'm hooked! I know that I missed some (heck..alot of quests), I've just begun the wonder that is gardening, at level 17 I am nowhere close to choosing a subjob (I'm so confused as to which one to select), and of course, I'm probably the poorest 17 level redmage on the server.

As much as I am squeamish about farming, is this something I should be focusing on? I know I have to build up my skills, spells, armor and whatnot. I've had some stumbling blocks regarding building up skills like enhancement (it seems to be very sluggish compared to the other skills). As an Elvaan player, I've accepted that MP is going to be a problem for me, should I focus on MP enhancing food/ items?

I've read where people have said that 20 is a magical level where things start coming together and I feel so under-developed. What are some milestones one should be near at lvls 17 to 19?
    Newbie Elvaan Redmage - Seraph server
    'Did I do that?'

Re: I know I've made mistakes along the way...

Honestly at your level, I would recommend a few things:

1. Level up your WHM and your BLM to 10 each. Before you get the subjob quest done. That way, you can go to town right away and set your subjob and it won't be gimped, instead of having to stop leveling and work on your subs. Chances are that leveling up you will need your WHM sub more, so worry more about that one, but don't let your BLM sub fall too far behind. Eventually you'll also want other subs, but those are the two subs you'll want for RDM as a minimum.

2. As you're leveling your two subs, you'll get some drops off the mobs. Cash in on them. Look around to where things sell for better prices. It may be at the NPC or it may be on the AH. Also do some of the repeatable quests in your area and do those when you can for a bit of extra change in your pocket and some fame.

3. If you've started in San d'Oria, pick up your first mission. It only requires you to turn an Orcish Axe in to the guard, and after that, you can sell the Axe to NPCs for a fairly decent price. It can't be sold on the AH or traded with others so the small NPC'ed amount is worth hanging onto it, if you've got the space until you run back to town.

4. MP at your level is always going to be a problem, no matter what race you are. There's just never enough. As you level, you may want to focus more on MP gear/food, or just learn how to manage what you have. You will have Convert at level 40 which will really work in your favor, and you can get really good at managing your MP for ten minute blocks of time. Really this is a question you'll have to answer for yourself, ultimately. If you're always running out of MP really quickly, you may want to invest in extra MP gear, or start resting sooner, etc. If not, then you should be fine with what you are doing/wearing.

5. Don't worry too much about magic skills. They'll catch up on their own in the 30's-40's probably. At low levels you're not doing a lot of enhancing, but at higher levels you will be. And really, very few spells are affected by your enhancing magic skill level, though one of them - Stoneskin - is important, you'll be able to make up for the lack of skill with gear for the most part until you reach the skill cap.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlonni View Post
      I've just begun the wonder that is gardening, at level 17 I am nowhere close to choosing a subjob (I'm so confused as to which one to select), and of course, I'm probably the poorest 17 level redmage on the server.
      • Gardening
      • Unlock support job, and level all other standard jobs (WHM, WAR, MNK, THF, BLM) to at least Lv.10. Make sure you have Signet on at all times. The crystals and other drops from doing that will help fund whichever main/support job you pick.
      • If you plan to continue with RDM, you'll want at least /WHM and /BLM for SJs.

As much as I am squeamish about farming, is this something I should be focusing on?
      Lv.17 RDM should not have much trouble farming low level Bees and Crawlers. Can also farm Sheep Leather; recommend you have Dark Crystal, Windurstian Tea Leaves, and Distilled Water (at least 2 stacks each) in inventory before heading out to farm.

I've read where people have said that 20 is a magical level where things start coming together and I feel so under-developed. What are some milestones one should be near at lvls 17 to 19?
      Again, try to unlock support job (first available at Lv.18). May want to prepare for Chocobo License (Lv.20) as well.

Learn how to run around in zones without aggro'ing monsters; you should be able to travel from any starter nation/city (San d'Oria, Bastok, and Windurst) to Selbina, Mhaura, Valkurm Dunes, Buburimu Peninsula, Jeuno, the other starter cities, and the zones between them without dying after a few tries. (Would recommend carrying some Silent Oil and Prism Powders for emergencies, though I've managed to run Lv.5 and Lv.1 characters from Windurst to Jeuno and from Bastok to Selbina without using them.)

I'm not sure if there's anything particularly magical about Lv.20, besides the Chocobo License. This game is really about having fun with people more than anything else; if you enjoy the company, you'll likely enjoy the experience no matter what is it you're doing or what level your character is.
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
        4. MP at your level is always going to be a problem, no matter what race you are. There's just never enough.
        And those floating books outside the gates? Keep doing the "training" things and collecting the points. Then you can use the "field support" to get 1MP/tick refresh, which is absurdly powerful at lower levels, and Reraise to keep you from having to keep running back out after getting killed. Regen isn't bad either, but its usefulness lasts a lot less than refresh with a WHM or RDM subjob.
        Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
        99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
        F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
        >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Working...
        X