n00b rdm/nin gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b rdm/nin gear

Hey all, decided to lvl my RDM finally, was RDM/WAR till 21, now RDM/NIN for a bit. Wanted to know what is the reccommended gear/stats for a low-level RDM/NIN. I currently have the following:

Fire Sword x 2
    Beetle Harness +1
    Beetle Subligar +1
    Bounding Boots
    Beetle Earring +1 x 2
    Balance Ring x 2
    Night Cape
    Battle Gloves

I'll eventually put on the Emp Hairpin @ 24, but I'm working on an EVA/DEX setup, wanted to see if this is what I should be doing to achieve maximul solo ability...any input appreciated
    | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
    2/5 WAR +2
    Farsha(85)

Re: n00b rdm/nin gear

At low levels you might want to not dual wield and just use a single dagger and shield. This will allow you to level up shield and by wielding a Beestinger or Platoon Dagger (both 150 Delay daggers, quickest you can get), coupled with an Enspell you can rack up a bit of damage over time.

By holding 2 swords you might find yourself attacking quite slow, as cool as it may be. But at such low levels combined with Fields of Valor I don't think it matters much these days.

Your evasion would be quite good but will be less noticable as you increase in levels.

And also this depends on what you're fighting.
    [LadyKiKi]
    Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
    .:|The Prototype BST|:.
    Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

If you're working on an EVA build you should probably lose those Beetle Earrings +1 in favor of Silver earrings +1 or Mythril Earrings +1 @ lv 24. Beetle Earrings are EVA -

I second the motion to lose dual-wield in favor of Dagger/Shield, or if you really want to Dual-wield get 2x low-delay daggers. Keep in mind that if you go the Shield route, you can make up +5 attack by using Lantern Shield.

At 23 you get Blink, and @ 24 Utsusemi: Ichi, so I imagine that you'll be better than most at avoiding damage at the level.

I don't know how effective this will be, but keep in mind that RDM has throwing available to it, and while it has E skill in throwing, NIN has A skill. Grab yourself a pinwheel dispenser (new Rare/Ex from treasure casket, Pashhow, I believe) and macro in Beetle Rings +1 when you throw.

You can also pick up a Silver Obi +1 if you want (-8% spell interruption) which might be useful if you don't have aquaveil up and have to get up Utsusemi or Blink in a hurry.

For your neck slot you could add Green gorget for an extra point of EVA + , or Spike Necklace for STR/DEX +3 MND - 6 (macro this out for heals)
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Comment

At low levels you might want to not dual wield and just use a single dagger and shield. This will allow you to level up shield and by wielding a Beestinger or Platoon Dagger (both 150 Delay daggers, quickest you can get), coupled with an Enspell you can rack up a bit of damage over time.

By holding 2 swords you might find yourself attacking quite slow, as cool as it may be. But at such low levels combined with Fields of Valor I don't think it matters much these days.
        I disagree. Beestinger is a horrible idea at his level. Platoon Dagger's DPS is so low that the increased enspell frequency doesn't make up for it, and Dual Wield just improves sword's DPS further.

There's also a pretty big gap in WS power between Fast Blade and dagger's WS. Physical dagger WS are awful and Wind Slash is only OK-ish; however magic barely scales up or down in damage, so he's not going to be Wind Slashing EPs for significantly more than one would Wind Slash a T or VT mob. Fast Blade can easily exceed that damage and if Dual Wield is being used then the gap increases even further, since Dual Wield will increase Fast Blade's damage by 50%.

And this is all only factoring NQ swords. If he got HQ swords then the gap gets bigger still. Bottom line is that he's going to be better off with a sword, and even if Platoon Dagger were better right now it would only be a couple of levels before stronger swords obsoleted it.
        Last edited by Armando; 01-20-2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I think I'm going to keep the setup, but ditch the Beetle Earring +1's for some Mythril Earring +1's (if I can find someone to craft 'em, seem to be hard to find)

Basically going with a big EVA setup, I think it'll be ok as long as my swords have a decent DPS

5/5 BST +2
          2/5 WAR +2
          Farsha(85)

Comment

I would ditch the Balance Rings. They're not appropriate Acc ring substitutes nor do you need much Accuracy when soloing. I would highly recommend Mighty Rings. Also, what's on your neck? You should be using Spike Necklace when attacking, and you can switch to Tiger Stole at 25 if you want.

What mobs are you targetting? Anything that's EM or less, you should be using Attack foods.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
              I disagree. Beestinger is a horrible idea at his level. Platoon Dagger's DPS is so low that the increased enspell frequency doesn't make up for it, and Dual Wield just improves sword's DPS further.

There's also a pretty big gap in WS power between Fast Blade and dagger's WS. Physical dagger WS are awful and Wind Slash is only OK-ish; however magic barely scales up or down in damage, so he's not going to be Wind Slashing EPs for significantly more than one would Wind Slash a T or VT mob. Fast Blade can easily exceed that damage and if Dual Wield is being used then the gap increases even further, since Dual Wield will increase Fast Blade's damage by 50%.

And this is all only factoring NQ swords. If he got HQ swords then the gap gets bigger still. Bottom line is that he's going to be better off with a sword, and even if Platoon Dagger were better right now it would only be a couple of levels before stronger swords obsoleted it.
              Fair enough, just preference I suppose. Mobs die fast enough at those levels. And with FoV you get EXP rather fast, I don't think unless you've got money to throw around it's worth over equipping that much as the gear will be eventually replaced/resold.
              [LadyKiKi]
              Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
              .:|The Prototype BST|:.
              Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

If you are using FoV and the tab for Auto-Refresh, use your own Regen (white magic), land Blind, Slow and Paralyze on the mobs, assuming that you are fighting Tough or below, a few plus (or minus) evasion should not matter. If the mob can cast magic, Silence it.

P.S: For solo, you gear is okay.
                Server: Quetzalcoatl
                Race: Hume Rank 7
                75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Yea I'm wearing a Spike Necklace, I'd favor that over the Tiger Stole personally, unless u can think of why it would be better (I honestly don't know)

I forget what the stats on mighty rings are, gotta look them up

5/5 BST +2
                  2/5 WAR +2
                  Farsha(85)

Comment

Not to much gear to choose from at that level, and not much reasont o worry really until after level 40. If your doing EP/DC go with ATK/STR gear and ATK food. If your doing EM-IT use ACC/DEX gear with ACC food.

Daggers at that level suck don't use them. But I would still drop the /NIN and use ?BLU or /WAR.

/BLU gives you cocoon which is godly in longer fights (see EM-IT) if you find yourself getting a party you also get access to the cheapest Curaga in the game healing breeze (55MP Curaga II)

/WAR gives you Zerk + Defense Bonus, and eventually DA +10%

Both also give you access to Red Lotus Blade and later on Vorpal Blade.

/NIN offers you DW and shadows which aren't very usefull and ultimately with the lack of haste options, and only DW 1 kill the DoT of your weapons. If you figure that your Delay is nearly doubled. For example (as I do not know the delay on the weapons)

224/60 = 3.73 seconds between attacks (6TP a hit)
                    224*2*.90/60= 6.72 seconds between attacks. (5.5 TP per hit x 2 = 11)

So basically you end up getting 12 TP in about the same time you would get 11 TP from DW.
                    Which resaults in slightly faster Weaponskills and quicker kills.

To really make RDM melee work you must keep you Enhancing Magic capped. Which is very very long and tedious. It is the equivalent of piling lots of +ATK to your melee swings. Since the ACC and DMG is based off of the Enhancing Skill it is imperitive this is as high as possible at all times when you cast the Enhancing Spell (Same applies to Phalanx and Stonskin when you aquire them.)

When you get to LVL 30 /DNC becomes a viable option, you sacrafice some perks that WAR and BLU offer in exchange for basically a free Cure 2 and a free Regen. As well as Evaision Bonus. This makes your MP pool a lot longer, you will use less WS due to having TP used to cure but you will be able to stay standing almost indefinitley (much later on Drain Samba 2 + Cure Waltz 2 + Phalanx + Bio II + Ice Spikes + Refresh + Convert means you can kill EP-EM almost indefinitley without ever needing to rest.)

As for your gear ATM get Bee Spatha +1. It is the best Weapon RDM can use until Centurion Sword. If your stuck on /NIN get 2 of them. IIRC the added effect from the Fire Sword will never proc with an enspell on (or possibly vice versa) so basically your using a weapon that is not any better than a Bee Spatha +1.

Its been a while since I was in that level range so I forget a lot of the gear, but I think it may be verner ring they are good for ACC, which will probably be better for you than getting +STR rings. +4-6 STR at that level wont even noticibly alter your damage whatsoever. Barring that get DEX rings, the best ones, with other dex gear on ep/dc chances are they will put you over a crit teir.

sig courtesy tgm
                    retired -08

Comment

Justice Sword/Joyeuse is soo sexy on RDM/NIN. Sadly damn SE put Enspells II on first hit only

Comment

Working...
                      X