Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /SCH and chainspell drain

This just poped into my head.

Wouldn't chainspell drain be able to lay down some sick damage for the amount of MP it costs.

Figure you can probably get almost 30 drains in with chainspell.

If at the bare minimum you get 100 drain (bare bare minimum)

thats potentially 3K damage.

If you figure you can get 250 skill from /sch +10 from CFG, +7 from torque, + other gear I don't have off the top my head. With a pluto staff, some MACC gear. You could even consider 200 drains to be reasonable.

Which is potentially 6K

Add in a SCH AoE buff to dark weather and klimiform your almost garunteed to rock an average of 200.

Imagine a group of 5 RDM's with a SCH doing this

6KX5 for 30K damage in 30 seconds.

Even going further imagine an alliance of the like (15RDM/SCH + 3 SCH) Thats 90K damage.

Chainspell just got a nice little boost that I have completely over looked for the last 4 months.

Discuss.

sig courtesy tgm
    retired -08

Re: /SCH and chainspell drain

Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
    This just poped into my head.

Wouldn't chainspell drain be able to lay down some sick damage for the amount of MP it costs.

Figure you can probably get almost 30 drains in with chainspell.

If at the bare minimum you get 100 drain (bare bare minimum)

thats potentially 3K damage.

If you figure you can get 250 skill from /sch +10 from CFG, +7 from torque, + other gear I don't have off the top my head. With a pluto staff, some MACC gear. You could even consider 200 drains to be reasonable.

Which is potentially 6K

Add in a SCH AoE buff to dark weather and klimiform your almost garunteed to rock an average of 200.

Imagine a group of 5 RDM's with a SCH doing this

6KX5 for 30K damage in 30 seconds.

Even going further imagine an alliance of the like (15RDM/SCH + 3 SCH) Thats 90K damage.

Chainspell just got a nice little boost that I have completely over looked for the last 4 months.

Discuss.
    stick to chainspell stun and let the melees handle the mob =P
    [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Honestly, in the amount of time chainspell lasts, it's not like you're going to completely burn through all your MP and then just sit on it for 20 seconds.

It's a nice idea, but you'd probably be better off just using regular spells. Maybe using drain after you convert, but that would be about it.

Comment

It's not a bad idea under the right circumstances, but those circumstances are pretty narrow. Drain is a very mp efficient spell especially when you're using it with a decent skill level, but most often when we're chainspell nuking there's a much higher priority on packing in as much damage as possible in that time rather than conserving mp. Chainspell Blizzard III with Convert up could easily break 6000 damage without any special subjob requirement.

The one situation I can think of where this would be especially good is soloing Fe'e. You could open up the fight with CS Drain, still probably achieve enough damage to make the rest of the fight managable, and save a bar worth of mp to allow you to nuke more freely.
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
          Chainspell Blizzard III with Convert up could easily break 6000 damage without any special subjob requirement.
          Should be even easier then with Dark Arts boosting your skill from C+ to B.
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Depends on how much you were getting resisted without the skill boost.
            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I got a better idea: if you can't burn your Convert, how about Chainspelled nukes followed by Chainspelled Aspir.

Granted, that would only work on mobs with MP, but still.
              Originally posted by Armando
              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
              Originally posted by Armando
              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
              Matthew 16:15

Comment

(sorry bout the necro)

Well Ive done some work with this idea I had a while back. Me and a few of my RDM friends have been working on byakko's over the last week or so. There are 5 of us and 1 paladino.

Anyhow here is how we have managed to kill 7 kittys and make about 1.3 mil selling drops and kitty pants to others.

1. Setup

4x RDM/SCH

This is your brute force these guys will be what does the damage. Ideally you want to have enough +DRK skill to bring you to at least a A-, this along with a pluto staff will have you averaging 200-250 Drains on the Kitty. It is also recomended to have 3 RDM's bring a decent casting set to attain at least an A+ as well as a Aquillo's Staff.

1X RDM/DRK

This will be your main source of damage mitigation through the use of CS stun, through the first minute of the fight.

1x PLD/NIN

This guy wont do much in the first minute outside of flash if it is needed but he will be used later in the match.

2. The Plan

Essentially this is a chain drain burn, Ideally it is best to use darksday as it will increase your overall damage, If you plan to do multiple Byakkos plan accordingly but do not move into lights day.

As usual buff up prior to engaging, Stoneskin Phalanx Protect Shell, Barpara BarIce, Refresh.

Have the RDM's for a circle around the pop area, so if byakko is by someone else and another pulls hate by the time he gets across he is going to be either stunned or agro'd by some one else.

Have the PLD pop Byakko and run to the center of the ring. If the PLD takes a few hits dont worry they can cure themselves up in a minute.

When the lines of text appear be ready to pop chainspell and start draining, and have the RDM/DRK ready to start stuning. When the PLD reaches the middle of the ring pop and go nuts. Ideally Stun should keep Byakko from accuring any attacks. After a minute (about 25 casts of drain per RDM) Byakko should be either dead or close to it.

If he is dead congratulations....

If Not. Have the PLD pop sentinel and start firing of his hate grabing abilities and spells, Pop his WS etc. When the PLD has hate established (which shouldnt take more than a few seconds.) Have the RDM's who brought Elemental gear start cycling blizzards and drains at byakko. It should only take a few casts from each RDM to end it. The other RDM/SCH and RDM/DRK should focus on cures to the PLD, and if needed Refresh to the other RDM's. They can also toss out drains and nukes if the PLD/NIN is doing well on his own.

This hole fight should take from 1-3 minutes.

For you numbers people

you can expect your drain damage to be

200*25*4 = 20000
                to
                250*25*4 = 25000

You may experience higher resist at times (which results in the extra nuking at the end). Byakko has about 22000 health so most of the time he will die in the initial chainspell. (we've had to use extra nuke strat 2 times out of 7) .

Its a pretty fun fight, for either low manning it in a off night for a LS, or to make money. If you go the money route, having this setup makes farming the pops stupid easy as both Ulli and despot can already be soloed by a competant RDM having 4 extra RDM's and a Pally just makes it so much faster.

I thought I would share that strat with you all if your looking for something fun, or to make money (kitty pants sell for at least 4M). Good luck to you all in your attempts.

sig courtesy tgm
                retired -08

Comment

Interesting... Olo likey!
                  Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
                  Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
                  Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

It's been a while, and I haven't played with Drain that much, I use Drain II mostly on my DRK, but I thought you could only "Drain/Damage" for the amount of hp your missing.

So if I'm missing 200 hp, then that's all i can drain for on Drain 1 right? or am I off? LIke i said it's been a while since i've used Drain.

Comment

Originally posted by Phanex View Post
                      It's been a while, and I haven't played with Drain that much, I use Drain II mostly on my DRK, but I thought you could only "Drain/Damage" for the amount of hp your missing.

So if I'm missing 200 hp, then that's all i can drain for on Drain 1 right? or am I off? LIke i said it's been a while since i've used Drain.
                      That is not the case with Drain. The chat log will only show the amount of HP you recovered, but Drain can still do more damage than that. While leveling BLM in a duo, I have often finished off a mob with Drain even when I had full HP. The chat log shows that I drained for 0 HP, but the significant change in the mob's health bar is proof that Drain still did damage.
                      Lyonheart
                      lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                      Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                      Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                      Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                      Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                      Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                      Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Ahh kk. thanks

Comment

oops nvm
                          (Saiph on Sylph server)
                          90BLU,90WHM,90DRK,90RDM,90PLD,90BLM,90WAR,90DRG,70THF,70SAM,
                          70MNK,70NIN,70RNG,70BST,66SMN,66BRD,60DNC,60SCH,60COR,60PUP

Comment

Was reading a thread on BG about some JP who allegedly solo'ed Up in Arms. Part of his reported strategy was nuking away his MP, Chainspell, Convert, Drain his HP back. It was, for me, a damn I would have never thought of that! moment XD

It's very cool, but very situational. I'm confused though.. Why would you drain JUST for damage? You could cast 30 drains, or 6 or 7 bliz/thun 3s... Not sure why you would bother with the drains...

Comment

because 2 drains can do almost the same damage as a bliz3 in this situation and the MP cost is much smaller.
                              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Working...
                              X