Getting into RDM tankage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into RDM tankage!

I inadvertently dived into my first experience with RDM tanking over the weekend, and I have to say it's pretty fun! This is actually something I've been wanting to try for a while now, I'm currently working towards getting proper gear for it, but emnity+ and haste stuff is somewhat expensive/hard to get. However, I did get kind of thrown into it before I could get my gear together...

We did 2 Kirin runs this past Friday, and while I don't generally consider kiting as real 'tanking' I did make several attempts at straight tanking when I could. I was actually only supposed to be the person who kites Kirin while the minis popped, as we were short on tanks and our main tank was needed in the minis alliance. So I grouped up with a lone WHM and went to kiting.

I got Crimson Cuisses recently, I know that the kiting end is still very possible without them, but they certainly made things much easier. I actually had -5 emnity in gear for this, so it took a little to build proper hate, but once I had it I had it good.

After popping I opened with a couple of Dispels to try and establish a bit of CE, then made use of Blind, Sleep, and Sleep II to hold hate off of the WHM(at first just her casting Haste/Barspells could have pulled it). The kiting part was very easy, the only TP moves that can really hit you when you are kiting are Great Whirlwind and Great Sandstorm, both can do a decent chunk of damage, but neither will take away your shadows, so you're still pretty safe. Everytime he stopped to cast I would rebuff and cast Blind for more hate.

When the minis were done, the alliance filtered back in, and the PLD started doing Flash/Sent for hate...except it didn't come off of me, lol. At first I nearly died b/c I stopped running/casting expecting hate to come right off of me, and I was ready to go into normal alliance RDM mode. After a few big damage chunks still left me with hate, I decided to just go with it, and spam my hate rotation again. Blind is an amazing hate spell, it casts so quickly, has almost no recast, is very easy on MP, and makes a solid chunk of hate.

Eventually I miscounted shadows and stopped to build hate during Stone V, his spell took my 3rd and he hit me with a 1600+ TP move. This is where things get a little difficult. As I said before, once you have hate as a RDM you have it solid, but building hate from scratch in the middle of the battle can take a fair amount of time. After unweakening it took me a solid 2-3 minutes of spell spamming to get back on the level of hate with the PLD, he caught an unlucky Stonega and I was left tanking again.

Basically for the rest of the fight I kited until both Utsu timers were up, then straight tanked for a few seconds until both timers were down, trying to give the DDs time to do their thing. So long as you toss out 1-2 spells often(I used Blind/Sleep pretty much every time he stopped to cast a spell, and squeezed a cast off when I could when he would stop for TP moves), even without emnity gear you really shouldn't have a ton of trouble holding hate, although I'm assuming it will be much easier once I get a proper tanking set put together. Anyways, near the end of the second fight I got spunky and tried to straight tank the last few %, and Great Whirlwind killed me right as he dropped. For Kirin specifically I highly advise putting up Baraero if you try to straight tank for a few, Great Whirlwind is killer compared to his other TP moves.

I did have a couple of bloopers. At one point I did accidentally MPK an alliance member, I cast Bind in my Terra's Staff as a hate spell, but the Bind actually stuck and Kirin turned and 1-shotted the closest DD. Also, I didn't realize that Astral Flow wiped shadows, I survived the blast and went to pull hate again, didn't realize I had no shadows up and got pounded.

The really good news for me is I've been trying to push the idea of me tanking things as RDM on my LS for awhile, and although the leader trusts me with alot of crap, he usually brushed that idea off thinking it wasn't as feasible. This showed that even without a tanking set holding hate isn't much of an issue, so once I get my set together I should be a pretty capable tank.

Here's what I actually wore for the fights, nowhere near ideal:
    Crappy Tanking Set

I really wasn't planning on tanking, if I had I could have set up some macros to swap out the -emnity gear at the least, but couldn't really do it while on the run. I spent some time after making a few tanking macros in preperation for when I get the gear I need(I also had to make a macro for Blind I lol, I haven't used it in ages, I had to cast it from the menu during the fights).

Anyways I'm currently taking a few weeks off of LS events so that I can get some stuff done for myself, including finishing up some subjobs and making gil for emnity/haste gear. Ideally my tanking set will look like this in a few weeks:
    Not-so-crappy Tanking Set

If you guys try this out too good luck to you, it really is a ton of fun, hopefully I can assemble my set soon and give it a real earnest try instead of just being tossed into it unprepared!

Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Re: Getting into RDM tankage!

Dude, no fair! I wanted to get in to Red Mage tanking first . . . it's not my fault I have only just unlocked Paladin . . .

Okay, maybe it is technically my fault, but how am I supposed to be the anti-callisto if Calli's going from DD to tank?

You can ask BP to confirm: I had told him I wanted to do it for a while now.
    Last edited by Yellow Mage; 03-18-2008, 08:41 AM. Reason: By first, I of course mean before Callisto . . . shut up.
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Originally posted by Armando
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

Yeah I've wanted to do it for months since I started reading Belkin's LJ, I at least want to attempt every possible facet of RDM, whether it's successful or not. I've gotten to do normal backline RDM, RDM melee, big-time DoT solos, and even my somewhat failed attempt at RDM/RNG, so tanking is about all that's left, lol.

Also, my LS now has a few good RDMs, and several tanks who may serve the LS better on their DD jobs, so I could make things alot more flexible as a tank, freeing up other members to do other things. Really though, getting ahold of the gear for tanking sucks ass, I'm looking at a minimum 1.7m investment in emnity/haste gear, in addition to the pain of getting a Swift Belt(I despise level-capped events). I think a few of our other RDMs like Itaz and WM3K kind of have a leg up since they should have a decent chunk of the emnity gear from their PLDs already.

Comment

Old Set a rdm/nin used to tank hnms

Malc+1 x2
        Lamian Kaman +1
        Duelist Chap
        Harmonia's Torque
        Eris' Earring +1 x2
        Dalmy
        Dusk gloves
        Merman's Ring
        Sattva Ring
        Cerberus Mantle +1
        Trance Belt
        Crimson Legs
        Dusk feet
        [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Yeah some of the stuff is kind of out of reach for the time being, like the AF2 hat/Dalmy. The back I'm kind of tossing around, I'm not sure which would be more of a bitch at the moment, camping the Resentment Cape or making gil for the Cerb+1.

I also need to work on a Magic Damage %-/MDB set, which is relatively cheap to do, but I don't have the inventory space for it at the moment unless I mule off my BRD gear, and the last time I did that I didn't get to play my BRD for 4 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
            Yeah some of the stuff is kind of out of reach for the time being, like the AF2 hat/Dalmy. The back I'm kind of tossing around, I'm not sure which would be more of a bitch at the moment, camping the Resentment Cape or making gil for the Cerb+1.

I also need to work on a Magic Damage %-/MDB set, which is relatively cheap to do, but I don't have the inventory space for it at the moment unless I mule off my BRD gear, and the last time I did that I didn't get to play my BRD for 4 months.

Depending what your tanking usually the resists for tiamat, but most things we tanked with used that static setup, there are pieces you can change that are in grasp for each person. I love having a rdm/nin tank at khim tbh, so much hate on Khim, usually to pick up for the lack of nin/drks major hate.

Comment

For the time being I'll likely only be doing Sky gods, maybe Omega/Ultima, and we are interested in trying Khim soon. I really was shocked at how heavy the hate was even without emnity+ gear, I expected it to be much harder to hold hate off of the DDs than it was, now that I see how easy it is I'm pretty psyched to get my tanking gear together.

Comment

awesome callisto Im glad you had a good experience with tanking. It's a very hard thing to do successfully. It is the last step in RDMdom IMO once you can grasp it there is nothing you cant do for a party or alliance. Congrats and I hope you keep up the drive for it.

sig courtesy tgm
                retired -08

Comment

Rdm can't tank in pts, they can for hnms

Comment

RDM/WAR FTW It can be done it just takes alot of work. I think what you meant to say is. RDM shouldn't tank in parties. In that sense I agree.

sig courtesy tgm
                    retired -08

Comment

Originally posted by Sevv View Post
                      Rdm can't tank in pts, they can for hnms
                      Eff that, I wouldn't try to tank in a meripo. Meripos are for meleeing.

Comment

RDM tanks HNMs very smoothly (with the right player skill/gear of course)

Unless they are the RDMs who only think they have to lvl /blm and not have other subjobs for a little more versatility, then I want THOSE rdms wayyyyy in the back lol.
                        62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
                          RDM/WAR FTW It can be done it just takes alot of work. I think what you meant to say is. RDM shouldn't tank in parties. In that sense I agree.
                          You couldn't keep hate off my drg '.'/

Rdm can not tank in pts with decent melee jobs in the pt. period

I said what i meant.

Comment

Man, I get intimidated easily by the thought of tanking HNMs. I'll have to try it when I get really good with RDM. Looking good though, Callisto!

Originally posted by Selphiie The Enchantress View Post
                            RDM tanks HNMs very smoothly (with the right player skill/gear of course)

Unless they are the RDMs who only think they have to lvl /blm and not have other subjobs for a little more versatility, then I want THOSE rdms wayyyyy in the back lol.
                            Yeah, screw those RDMs, I wanna see RDMs that put effort into their job!
                            Last edited by Electricity Gone Human; 03-18-2008, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
                              Well, do you expect the DD in exp. parties to put away their weapons until the RDM tank spend enough time to build enough hate? .....
                              Server: Quetzalcoatl
                              Race: Hume Rank 7
                              75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Working...
                              X