/sch ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /sch ??

Wondering what the general opinion on this is. Has anyone actually tried this as sub. is it a viable option as opposed to /WHM or /BLM? I have yet to open this job so I have no Idea what good or bad this does for a RDM as a sub. Just looking for general info to see if it worth trying to lvl it
    Dahc Ramuh server
    San D'Oria Rank 6
    RDM 68 WHM 38 BLM 22 PLD 35 SAM 15 NIN 15 WAR 10 BST 34 THF 15 MNK 10 SMN 10 DRK 10 DRG 14 BRD 15 PUP 12 COR 10 RNG 10 BLU 19 DNC 20 SCH 15

Re: /sch ??

Originally posted by Dahc View Post
    Wondering what the general opinion on this is. Has anyone actually tried this as sub. is it a viable option as opposed to /WHM or /BLM? I have yet to open this job so I have no Idea what good or bad this does for a RDM as a sub. Just looking for general info to see if it worth trying to lvl it
    Benefits of /SCH to RDM:
    • Dark Magic and Elemental Magic Skill Improved through use of Dark Arts, which makes Aspir, Drain and Nukes more effective for RDM.
    • Dark Arts and Light Arts shave some MP cost off thier respective magics.
    • Penury and Parsimony help reduce MP costs even further.
    • Sublimation - while not stackable with Refresh - can act as a failsafe for a situation where you botched a Refresh cycle and can't refresh yourself or you came up a little short on MP when you Coverted. I see it mostly as a failsafe and not something a RDM would commonly use since its easy to avoid not refreshing yourself, but nice for the absent-minded RDM nonetheless.
    • Subbable Aspir, Regen II and then through Addendum: White you get -na spells
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 03-14-2008, 02:14 PM. Reason: EDIT: Reraise is accessable through Addendum: White by SCH only (Level 40)

Comment

I found RDM/SCH to be a very good combination when I was duo'ing Ebony Puddings with a BLM.

There's no better support job when one wants to nuke a lot or when the nukes tossed out must count. It's also a very good for MP conservation, but have to keep in mind that a RDM/SCH duty then must be performed under the constraint of one minute recast for Light Arts and Dark Arts.

With the adjustment to Light Arts and Enfeebling Magic as well as the newly introduced "Addendum: White" stratagem, I consider it a very strong exp use support job as well, able to replace /WHM in any camp which doesn't need Viruna or Erase. Keep in mind its -na spells come later than /WHM, and /SCH does not provide AoE Cure, so /WHM is still quite useful.

This is possibly the best support job to use in a SC+MB party, when there's nothing from /WHM that can't be normally covered by some other party member.

One situation where the combination would fail is when the user needs Addendum: White and yet still switch back and forth between Light/Dark Arts too frequently. Careful management of Stratagem charges is needed in a party which needs -na spells, if changing Arts.
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

You won't get erase BBQ. Addendum: White grants Erase to SCH at lv 39 =/ (maybe SE will change this to 37 at some point? I doubt it though)
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
          You won't get erase BBQ. Addendum: White grants Erase to SCH at lv 39 =/ (maybe SE will change this to 37 at some point? I doubt it though)
          bah, oh well, no sweat off a WHMs back at least. I had caught Reraise at 40, so I had cut it out.

Comment

Dispel is allowed at 32 for some odd reason though... not that RM would get anything from that, given they already have it.
            Originally posted by Ellipses
            Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
            Originally posted by MCLV
            A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
            More Sig:

Comment

I could see it being a viable Subjob for most meripo situations now that -na spells are added. No curaga hurts but the 10% reduction can make up for casting a few cures out. (Not like we really hurt for MP anyhow).

I think it was Ifrit who made the nice little post about how we can use sublimation effectively (maybe it was Ice Mage). It is a nice extra chuck of MP before or after convert.

Drain and Aspir @ a B+ skill (263 with torque) can see some nicer returns then our laughable 200 skill would.

Nukes will be a bit more Accurate, maybe aking us from 150-600 span to 300-600.

I still am working my SCH to 37 so i dont have any real solid numbers since I have yet to do it in a meripo but on paper it seems like a worth while sub.

sig courtesy tgm
              retired -08

Comment

You mean B+ with the torque, or with arts?

Everywhere I look I see people claiming B+ from the Arts but they're actually just B rating. And Refresh doesn't stack with Sublimation so I don't see how that JA helps RDM (maybe between castings, idk...)
                sigpic

Comment

256 = B+,+7(tourque)= 263 = 6 shy of A-

sig courtesy tgm
                  retired -08

Comment

Yeah, well refute this;
                    Light Arts - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

Raises the skill cap for Enhancing Magic, Enfeebling Magic, Divine Magic, and Healing Magic from a D rating to a B rating. Note that this will increase sub job skills to the main job's level at a B rating.
                    sigpic

Comment

well thats another one that the wiki needs to fix then. (reason I dont use it)

Elemental 256(230)
                      Dark 246(154)
                      Enfeebling no change
                      Enhancing no change
                      Healing 256 (209)
                      Divine 246 (34)

So ye i will refuse that because unless My charecter is a special case I get a B+ with non - B+ stats

Raises your divine, enhancing, enfeebling, and healing magic. If your main job skill is 0-200 it brings it to 246, 210-250, it's raised to 256, 256-276, it has no effect. This is on Lv75 jobs.
                      Last edited by MrMageo; 03-14-2008, 09:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

sig courtesy tgm
                      retired -08

Comment

My own informal experimentation from before the patch (I haven't taken the time to do formal testing, nor do I have all my mage jobs high enough to get +/- determinations) suggests that if your main has at least a D skill in any one of an Art's three skills natively, then the skills go to a B+ for the skills you have natively and a B- for those you don't (for example, on WHM70/SCH35 I got 233 Enfeebling and 223 Dark and Elemental skills under Dark Arts).

However, if you have none of the skills of that Art natively at D or higher, the boost is only to a number similar to a native D, but oddly not a match to the wiki's numbers (for example, on SMN36/SCH18 I was getting 99 in an active Art's skills, and on BLM43 I was getting similarly scaled numbers from Light Arts despite BLM having native Enhancing, probably because said Enhancing is only an E).

I'd file this one under "needs further testing". I just don't have the resources to do all of it myself. -- Pteryx

Comment

Well if my dark or divine were capped I could 100% verify it, all other skills get bumped to B+ i assume since my elemental magic did. I think your right about the D skill - B+ since SCH has native D in everything yet is able to Get to B+.

I agree further testing is needed.

sig courtesy tgm
                          retired -08

Comment

Working...
                          X