an unenviable position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an unenviable position

just got my account back after around 18 months of not playing. now i'm a level 41 rdm thats completely clueless! hmm you may say thats never stopped anyone before, what can I say, I dont like to suck and I dont have any confidence in main healing at all. I used to think I was pretty good at rdm but that was then this is now

Im doing general questing to get the hang of the controls and starting to write macros; they all disappeared.
    I figure I'll go to valkurm and do some healing/powerlevelling to get used to healing and having to switch between targets.

It would be ideal to take a mage class to valkurm or qufim to level but I was terribly efficient and whm and blm are both low forties.

Other than that Im not certain of any party type activities I could do that I could get away with being a bit useless in to start with.

any tips on getting back into rdm after a long absence?
    Last edited by secunia; 01-22-2008, 04:42 AM.
    THF60 WHM43 BLM42 RDM41 BRD40 COR26 BLU27 RNG37 WAR20 NIN37 PUP41 DNC22

Re: an unenviable position

Take up another job. If you left before TAU, BLU might be a good option. It's more combat oriented than RDM, but it seems like your problem is more becoming familiar with the game period than just RDM.

Comment

For becoming familiar with a mage job, Scholar might work nicely if you have WoG ... or even SMN at 22+.

Comment

Questing and farming are a good start. Concentrate on mobs' TP moves while you're fighting them. Learn what they do, and build reactions to them. You see Leaf Dagger, you cast Poisona. You see Cocoon, you cast Dispel. Get that reaction time back.

Leveling one of the jobs mentioned would be a good idea, too. And you can always tell parties that you've been gone a while and you're working to get the hang of things again. Especially at the lower levels, people can be pretty reasonable about that. There are a lot of returning players these days.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

I dont have wog, I was thinking about BLU too, depends how soloable the quest is, all my LSs were broke and I have no friends :-( lol

that was another thing I was going to do, see what other jobs I can get hold of by myself.

Comment

The BLU quest is cake to solo. Just make sure you gather the three items it might take (Dangruf Stone, Sunsand, Siren's Tear) before you head to Al Zahbi. All it takes past that is Sneak/Invis, and not very much of that.
            Ellipses on Fenrir
            There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
            . . .

Comment

If you tell your mages that you're rusty, and so long as they're ok with asking for Refresh, and that you'll not take it personally when they shout for stuff like Dispel, you'll find yourself back into the swing of things within a level or two.

Comment

What server are you on?

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

What I did after taking a break from Whm was I played Whm on my mule using the gear from my main until i felt good enough to play whm again on my main.
                  After a few levels you should feel ok.

learn where you are going to be levelling in a party and make a list of the mobs Tp moves and their remedies so you can prepare it just as it goes off. As a lvl 40+ Rdm after a few levels you'll find most of it is second nature and will come back to you quickly.

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

The three ToAU jobs (Blue Mage, Puppetmaster, and Corsair) are actually soloable, just takes liberal use of Sneak/Invis for all of them. The two WotG jobs (Dancer and Scholar) are also soloable. When you get the expansion (and it would be recommended if you did), just be sure to be aware that it might be cheaper to go to M&P Market and get Rolanberries from them to do a little side quest when getting the Vellum to unlock Scholar. Vellum on the AH may be rather expensive still, depending on what server you're on.

For RotZ, if you haven't done so already, Dragoon, Samurai, and Ninja all require one or more fights at one point or another, but are otherwise soloable. As a 41 RDM, you may or may not be able to handle these fights alone.

For the core game, the rest of the Advanced Jobs are mostly all melee-oriented in nature, with the exception of Bard, which is easily soloable. Depending on whether or not you wanna look into trying your hand on the frontlines or not is up to you, but if you already have most of your mage jobs leveled, and are firmly a mage, then yeah, you're probably looking at getting Wings and questing Scholar (that job will definately put your rdm, whm, and blm to use as subs).

Blue Mage is a frontline meleer that happens to use mp, a lot like what a lot of rdms want to do, but have a hard time pulling off for one reason or another. It can make liberal use of the "mage" part of its name, but that takes way more preperation and a completely different mindset than melee blu.

Oh, and don't pass up any spell. Period. Get every single last one of them. The benefits are tremendous, and not just for Blue Mage alone. By the time you finish a Blue Spell list, you'll have fought every single mob family in the game (or damn near close to it). The first hand knowledge of what every family in the game is capable of is invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by LilithAngel View Post
                      Blue Mage is a frontline meleer that happens to use mp, a lot like what a lot of rdms should be able to do, but have a hard time pulling off for one reason or another. It can make liberal use of the "mage" part of its name, but that takes way more preperation and a completely different mindset than melee blu.
                      FTFY
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                      Matthew 16:15

Comment

I've managed to do the BLU flag, although forgotting to move home point was a bit of a hiccup when i died in the subterranean caves about 10 seconds away from the pool when sneak wore off near slimes and they "heard" me recast it and I found myself back in Jeuno lol but i did then remember to sub blm for warp in case i needed to get back under my own steam. Its all the little things one forget.
                        I think I prefer the idea of mage blu over melee blu. never having partied any melee classes ever before. I'll read the blu forums :-)

Originally posted by Satori View Post
                        What I did after taking a break from Whm was I played Whm on my mule using the gear from my main until i felt good enough to play whm again on my main.
                        After a few levels you should feel ok.
                        I think i'd sub blm to start with so ppl dont expect me to main heal, or maybe just play blm/rdm for a bit cos i recall that being easiest job.

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                        What server are you on?
                        Remora

Originally posted by Spinnthrift View Post
                        If you tell your mages that you're rusty, and so long as they're ok with asking for Refresh, and that you'll not take it personally when they shout for stuff like Dispel, you'll find yourself back into the swing of things within a level or two.
                        Its not necessarily not knowing what to do thats the problem but things like tweaking the chat filters adequately so I see whats going on properly and getting used to using macros and targeting and timing. starting blu is a much to deal with these things as anything else.
                        Last edited by secunia; 01-24-2008, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by secunia View Post
                          I think I prefer the idea of mage blu over melee blu. never having partied any melee classes ever before. I'll read the blu forums :-)
                          As far as I can tell, it's not advisable to play BLU like a BLM; the "physical" Blue Magic spells are far more MP efficient than the "magic" ones for damage.

While it can play a very good healer if you're into traditional mage roles, its best cure--the AoE Healing Breeze--is centered on self, so you'd have to be in the front line to use it anyway. Coupled with the current overpopulation of healers (DNC and SCH), playing BLU as back line mage may not be a viable option.

That said, BLU has some unique debuffs and a few interesting buffs, plus some MP efficient curative spells. It should not be all DD all the time--it can do much better than that, from the front line.

I think i'd sub blm to start with so ppl dont expect me to main heal, or maybe just play blm/rdm for a bit cos i recall that being easiest job.
                          I'd go with BLM/WHM, just to be more versatile.
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Its not necessarily not knowing what to do thats the problem but things like tweaking the chat filters adequately so I see whats going on properly and getting used to using macros and targeting and timing. starting blu is a much to deal with these things as anything else.
                            There are a handful of Remorans around here, I think. Maybe you can find someone to duo with, outside of serious XP, to help you find the right mix of chat filters and remember how to macro. Or just shout or something.
                            Ellipses on Fenrir
                            . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
                              There are a handful of Remorans around here, I think.
                              Actually, I prefer to call them Remoraid:

No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                              Matthew 16:15

Comment

Working...
                              X