Enspell Burning(or not!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enspell Burning(or not!)

Just wanted to share my experiences from last night, was a pretty fun time despite getting eaten alive!

My LS was helping newer members with ZM5 yesterday while I was at work, and found Ash Dragon up. They tried to low-man it with 7 but failed, and decided to go back after we did Nyzul Assault. Unfortunately by the time we were ready to try again, only myself and 3 BSTs were left, but we said eff it let's try it out. After checking the lay we figured the best strategy would be the BSTs taking the links, and me soloing Ash Dragon.

I've never really done the Enspell Burn solo method for big fights, only DoT kiting. Things kind of started off poorly with the fact that I could only find one Ceremonial Dagger on sale, had to try an Onion Dagger for the other. Turns out that the Onion Dagger is not weak enough to hit for 0 consistently, so I ended up going with Ceremonial/Genbu's Shield.

We got out to AD, got setup, I popped a Glace, BSTs cleared the bombs, and we went to it. I opened with Slow II and Para II, both of them worked amazingly, especially Slow II. Utsu timers were pretty much always up a few seconds before they were needed, and Para proc'd well. The first problem became apparent right away: I couldn't hit the damn thing. My melee set is a mix of Acc/Atk/STR, but I only had about +41 Acc, which was nowhere near enough. One of the BSTs' bombs Self-Destructed in my range, I went down to about 100 HP, kind of panicked and hit the wrong macro which switched me to my BRD macros, fight ended a few seconds later, I had barely gotten him down to 98%.

The second fight I popped a Tuna Sushi, and the Acc problem was solved. Unfortunately, the problem of me having way too much STR and Atk was not. I whittled it down to 92% pretty easily, Slow, Para, and Poison all worked well, buuuut...I didn't hit for 0 every time, and eventually fed him enough TP to hit me with Chaos Blade(Curse that brings you to 10% HP/MP), which of course came right after I Converted, killing a brand new MP pool. I recovered from that, but fed him TP again, and he finished me with a Flame Breath a few minutes later.

So, lesson learned, need less STR/Atk. I'm looking to pick up some Aiming Bracelets soon, and I'm making a new macro book specifically for this kind of fighting, where my swaps will bring in Acc gear, but no STR/Atk, replacing my Chiv/Potent with Spectacles/Life etc.

He does have an absolute crapload of HP though, it took 5 rounds of unresisted Poison II as well as all my Enspell damage to get him to 92%, so well over 2k damage. Otherwise if you don't feed TP and have someone to take bombs, it wasn't too bad to tank, would probably be pretty easily with a BRD helper for March/Ballad in fact!

Anyways, if you guys have tried this or other fights like it using Enspell Burning, lemme know what you did and how it went!
    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Re: Enspell Burning(or not!)

I think you might be crazy.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Maladjusted for sure, but I think I'm still technically sane.

Comment

It must be very fun and epic ^^b
        Server: Quetzalcoatl
        Race: Hume Rank 7
        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Having a BRD to duo with would make things way easier.

Requiem, Elegy and Threnody on the mob and Ballad II + V. March on you. It would take way less time and be much safer.

That's one of the reasons I'm leveling BRD.
          sigpic
          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Yeah our BRD ended up bailing last-minute. :/

That's why I leveled BRD too, b/c there's never one around when you need them, but I never get to use anything but my RDM lol.

Comment

Well that's the problem with leveling all these in demand jobs. You can only play one at a time so you always still need the other and well, you can never find them.

Which is why you leveled it in the first place. Which is a problem since you can only play one at a time ...

Now a more serious question. How much Enspell damage were you doing per swing, was Poison II the only DoT you used (i doubt it) and how long did it take you to get it down to 92%?
              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

You should rotate like 50 drgs in your party so you can have unlimited Ancient Circle! Make sure you find the drgs that merited Ancient Circle first.
                Thanks Kazuki.
                Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Enspell damage was all over b/c of resists, I wasn't sure of his element and it was lights/darksdays so I went with Enblizzard(I like the sound it makes). Unresisted was 22, otherwise saw lots of 4's, 9's, and 15's.

And yes, Poison II was all I used in terms of DoT, b/c Bio would've fed TP.

I'd say it took about 13-14 minutes to get him down to the 92%, I remember specifically getting through 4-5 buff cycles and 5 Poisons, but I wasn't able to do Poison near the end b/c of Chaos Blade killing my TP.

Add: Can one of you check one of the resource sites and check if it says what element he is lol? I can't access any of them from work, but I'm thinking it may be fire and I should've been going w/ Enwater.
                  Last edited by Callisto; 01-10-2008, 08:40 AM.

Comment

According to alla and wiki, Ash dragon is dark based, weak against light.

Comment

Well, that's a whole separate issue that I've been complaining about forever lol.

Thanks for looking it up for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                        Well, that's a whole separate issue that I've been complaining about forever lol.

Thanks for looking it up for me!
                        And what issue is this? No Enlight and Endark?

/em begs SE to give us these spells.
                        sigpic
                        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Exactly. It's not a huge deal, it just bugs me that I can't utilize those weekdays/weather/elemental weaknesses like I can the other 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                            And what issue is this? No Enlight and Endark?

/em begs SE to give us these spells.
                            Personally, I'd rather have Enspells that were actually potent in the first place, rather than just more of the same in a different flavor.

Also, being Dark-based and fighting him on a Darksday may have made things a little more difficult.

Anyways, if you are able to, then find a high-level Scholar and have them Hailstorm you to maximize the use of your Enblizzard, not to mention any Ice-based Enfeebles you're using, though the Wind-based ones might take a penalty. This Ash Dragon doesn't need to be Silenced, I assume?
                            Originally posted by Armando
                            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                            Originally posted by Armando
                            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                            Matthew 16:15

Comment

/em begs for a bloody reduce in En-spell resists, shortening of Enhancing breakpoints, and raising of damage cap.

Comment

Working...
                              X