X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beginner's Guide to the Refresh Cycle

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
    While this might be true, I thought S-E fixed it so that you don't lose TP now resting for mp/hp ... ? So while you may not be kneeling during the battle, you can do so now after (Throwing on a VC as well with PLD job trait for auto-refresh)

Unless you're talking TP burn parties where a paladin can't rest. But, not making a rude comment here intentionally, I thought usually PLDs don't get invited to TP burn parties. So in traditional parties, as long as a pally gets a refresh, mp regen shouldn't be an issue...
    Typically, the time between fights is so short my PLD could only get in one or two ticks with /heal on, at most, though I usually do not need to rest thanks to the RDM in party.

Plus, resting for no TP loss is only possible with Signet in Conquest area, and most Lv.55+ parties prefer ToAU area, where Sanction is the rule. Sanction (usually) provides a refresh effect (optional; costs 100 IS). While it's quite nice for PLD, it's still not enough let Refresh drop for long.

At least, not the way I use MP on PLD. (I like to do at least 60%+ of my own curing, to keep the monsters from eating the Tarutaru SAM's in my static party.) So, as PLD I like to be second on the priority for Refresh, and as RDM I give PLD the second highest priority. (RDM is number one, of course.)

Another way of looking at it is this; curing by PLD increases safety of the entire party, while curing by WHM endangers himself and lessens the PLD's ability to hold on to the monsters. That means PLD should shoulder the as much of healing load as possible, and thus have a more urgent need for Refresh, especially given their small MP reserve.

For a great RDM who never falls behind on the Refresh cycle, it wouldn't matter who gets Refresh first. I'm not one of those awesome RDM's, so I prioritize PLD over WHM, making sure the PLD's are never without Refresh for long. It's how I cope with my own shortcomings. ^_^;

p.s. I can't afford a Vermillion Cloak... (1.5 mil on Ifrit. Yeek.) I'm terrible with money. Good thing I don't need it in my PLD's static party, with RDM and BRD. ^_^; Just run to the back after a fight if I blew too much MP, and I'd get a Ballad II.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I do refresh drk only if there willing to use there drains and support party with magic. If not then i might once every 3-5 cycles or when they have 50 or less mp.

On that note Haste Last close to the same time as Refresh So when i do cycle at begining of battle i .

Refresh Haste Enfebling spell and do that till all are refreshed.
      TERA - Dark.Anubis 70 High Elf Preist - RETIRED
      WOW Ihornedyourmom 85 Tauren Paladin - RETIRED
      FFXIV - Sergei Volkov - RETIRED
      FFXI - Massaranger, Daytimes and Sunghee - RETIRED

Comment

Originally posted by FortMan View Post
        Another trick to recognize when to restart refresh cycle, without having to wait for it to wear:

Refresh lasts about one Vana'diel hour. So if you cast it on you at 10:00 game time, you'll need to cast it again around 11:00 game time.

This should help you determine when you can rest peacefully for a tick or two as well.

DITTO! This is where alot of RDM's fail in their refresh cycle. Using this technique ensures the key mana users are always refreshed. Everyone wants to argue about whether a WHM or PLD should come first, but if you follow this rule of thumb, the order doesn't matter, because neither of them are ever without refresh.

I use this same method when I include Haste in the cycle, alternating Refresh & Haste, and it's no problem keeping everyone refreshed and hasted 100% of the time. I get complimented on this in nearly every party I'm in.

My typical cycle goes something like this (depending on party structure):

Refresh RDM (me)
        Haste PLD
        enfeeble
        Refresh PLD
        Haste MNK
        enfeeble
        Refresh WHM
        Haste THF
        enfeeble
        Refresh BLU
        Haste BLU

etc.
        Last edited by Draconi; 09-04-2007, 04:57 AM.
        (Saiph on Sylph server)
        90BLU,90WHM,90DRK,90RDM,90PLD,90BLM,90WAR,90DRG,70THF,70SAM,
        70MNK,70NIN,70RNG,70BST,66SMN,66BRD,60DNC,60SCH,60COR,60PUP

Comment

After Refreshing myself, I always Refresh my PLD before the WHM. PLD's cast cure on themselves to keep hate. If they can't keep hate, bye bye tank, bye bye party.

And I agree, we should be able to slap people that ask for Refresh just as you're casting it. I just wanna shout, "You're ruining my flow man!"

Comment

I place the pld above me on my refresh cycle (and they notice, and they love me for it, lol)

so my cycle is Pld > me > whoever is main healing > anyone with spells but not full mp if i feel like it

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
            Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
            I live to entertain!

Comment

I always refresh myself first but other than that I just do it whichever is the order in the party list. It doesn't really matter, if you keep your cycle up it's not like any of them are going to go without refresh for more than a couple of seconds. Unless you expect to run out of mp in which case I would prioritise.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenintoshadows View Post
                I always refresh myself first but other than that I just do it whichever is the order in the party list. It doesn't really matter, if you keep your cycle up it's not like any of them are going to go without refresh for more than a couple of seconds. Unless you expect to run out of mp in which case I would prioritise.
                Agreed. Once you get your refresh cycle going, no one is "first".
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

No arguments here.

What I meant was, if "something happens" and refresh wears off of both me AND the pld, I cast it on the pld first.

After all, I have convert^^

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
                  Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
                  I live to entertain!

Comment

The reason I think it's important to refresh yourself first is to know when to start the cycle again. As soon as it comes up saying my refresh has worn I know to recast it on myself and all the others, then repeat.

Comment

Exactly. If yours wears off and you have started your refresh cycle on someone else first, that means theirs has worn and they've been without refresh for a bit already. If I see mine wear, then I know to get it in gear or my cycle is going to get out of sync. When I start my cycle I also leave a 10 second window + recast between each person. Thats just for those times that mine might wear off because I'm busy!
                      Originally posted by Feba
                      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                      Originally posted by DakAttack
                      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X