Is my light chain activating (MM/DK)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my light chain activating (MM/DK)?

I’ve noticed something a little odd when I’m skillchaining with my puppet.
    I typically go whm puppet and do some FoV pages in Cape T or Ro’Moave just for a little xp boost.

I build up my TP and wait for my puppet to use Magic Mortar then I follow with Dragon kick. I try and make sure he has less that 100% hp so it actually does damage.
    I’ve noticed that when I use dragon kick, I’ll see the light skillchain animation start but then just disappears maybe halfway through. It seems like the damage is there when looking at the HP bar but with my ‘not so great’ ws setup, it’s hard to tell since im not putting up huge numbers.

Also, it’s not coming up in the log either. This happens ~60% of the time. The other ~40% is perfectly normal…full animation and comes up in the log.

Anyone notice anything similar? Could I be doing something wrong?
    99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
    -Farsha (90) Completed!!
    -Verth (90) Completed!!
    -Guttler (95) Completed!
    -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
    -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
    -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Re: Is my light chain activating (MM/DK)?

Gear swapping kills the animation. Killing the animation kills the chat log message because the game's chat log is fucking retarded that way.

If you see the start of the animation then you've succeeded. You may not know what damage you did, but rest assured you succeeded. Any MBs that come afterwards will still work even though they won't show up in your chat log as MBs. Sadly there's no legitimate way around this problem that won't sacrifice your performance. Either don't gear swap, delay your gear swap until the animation is over, or resort to Windower plug-in BlinkMeNot. Google is your friend if you're choosing the latter, it's not hard to find.

Comment

I do have a gear swap in there. I’ll just have to lengthen the /wait.

Ya learn something new everyday.
      Thank you!

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
      -Farsha (90) Completed!!
      -Verth (90) Completed!!
      -Guttler (95) Completed!
      -Aegis just started

Comment

I just go by the sound, regardless of if the animation shows the audio of the skillchain still plays for me.
        Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Also, just as a side note: Your puppet doesn't need to do any damage with Magic Mortar in order for the SC to be successful. A 0-damage MM opening can still be closed to light with Dragon Kick, so you don't have to go out of your way to take care of that.

</nitpick>
          Kindadarii (Bahamut)
          90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
          70.3 + 2 Woodworking
          52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Got another question or two if it’s not too much to ask. Regarding…

If you see the start of the animation then you've succeeded. You may not know what damage you did, but rest assured you succeeded.
            Do light skill-chain just do the exact same damage as the closing weapon skill? All the light chains that I do see do the same exact damage as my dragon kick.

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
            -Farsha (90) Completed!!
            -Verth (90) Completed!!
            -Guttler (95) Completed!
            -Aegis just started

Comment

According to Skillchains - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

A Level 3 Skillchain can do up to 100% of the damage of the closing Weapon Skill, depending on the target's Resistance to the Skillchain elements.
              (emphasis mine).
              Kindadarii (Bahamut)
              90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
              70.3 + 2 Woodworking
              52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                Gear swapping kills the animation. Killing the animation kills the chat log message because the game's chat log is fucking retarded that way.
                I still can't fathom why the fuck they haven't fixed that issue yet. It also does it to SMN if you dismiss your avatar too soon after a bloodpact goes off.
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Regarding damage: Think of the SC damage as a nuke that ignores Magic Attack Bonus and Magic Defense Bonus. It has a fixed amount of damage (some % of the closing WS's damage which depends on SC level and number of consecutive chains; in this case, 100%). That damage can be resisted by the enemy or affected by day and weather (both positively and negatively.) Resists seldom happen on EMs and below, and happen fairly frequently on EXP mobs.
                  I still can't fathom why the fuck they haven't fixed that issue yet. It also does it to SMN if you dismiss your avatar too soon after a bloodpact goes off.
                  They'd probably have to redo how animations and the interface work from the ground up.

Comment

Working...
                  X