Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppet questions

Hello, I have a few questions:
    1- can Automaton use cure without any attachment?
    his magic skill is 9 at level 9 (me), he doesn't cast cure (harlequin) even with 3 light maneuver up and at 20% health..maybe I didn't test right but I want to be sure..
    2- can I buy the items requirement for new pet type from AH? how much it cost (e.g ranged automaton requirement..)?
    3- can you tell me the best macros for PUP?

New questions will be added!... soonâ„¢.

Re: Puppet questions

1. Yes, the automaton can and will cure if HP is below the appropriate percentage. Automaton skill level to learn Cure is 12 (lvl 4 PUP).
    2. You don't really have much of a choice with this one. Most of the items needed are crafting materials (which in themselves are crafted only) and cannot be purchased from a merchant. Prices will very from server to server.
    3. Here are a few I use:

/ja "Light Maneuver" <me>

(Pretty basic one. Have one for each element.)

/pet "Deploy" <t>

/ja "Retrieve" <me>

/ja "Activate" <me>

/pet "Deactivate" <me>

/ja "Repair" <me>

/p {Automaton} TP: <pettp>

ADD Macro:

/ja "Activate" <me>
    /wait 1
    /pet "Deploy" <t>
    /wait 5
    /pet "Deactivate" <me>

(A little sketchy on the wait timers for this one)

Comment

Just as a note on the last thing, I would just as soon seperate each element of the "ADD" trick into it's own macro. Primary reason because of a difference of spellcasting times, lag, and other... problems that may occur. Plus, you don't have to figure out any timings.

Personally, I have my CTRL macros set for each of the maneuvers (/recast "Maneuver"; /ja "Maneuver" <me> for each), Alt1-3 being Deploy, Retrieve and Repair, respectively, each which also have an /echo {command} <pettp> so I know the macro went off (I have issues with my bluetooth keyboard lagging sometimes) and so I know my puppet's TP in an instant, and the rest of my macros are just random things.

Also, if you're going to make a dedicated "ADD" Macro, I suggest a dedicated "DAD" macro -- Deactivate/Activate/Deploy. This one is better suited for situations where the puppet doesn't take hate at all (read: good party or fighting things that don't attack back like Fortifications during Campaign) and also works well as a "my timer is counted down and my puppet needs a refill NOW" macro you'll find applicable during parties when things go wrong. Just remember in that situation the Active timer has to be cooled down completely.

Also, if you're only level 9 (until possibly around 15 or so) you may want to let the puppet tank. With the right attachments, like Auto-repair kits, flashbulbs, strobes, and defense attachments, your puppet can tank better for you and for longer. If you don't mind working on your ranged skill late, the valoredge frame makes a WONDERFUL tank through the dunes, or at least it did when I was there, and I only had minimal attachments too. Either way, this will help lessen your need for curing and help you continue longer.

Ultimately, PUP is best played your own way, and this includes macros. Figure out what works best for you, and don't let people convince you different unless it's something you're willing to defend yourself.
      Kindadarii (Bahamut)
      90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
      70.3 + 2 Woodworking
      52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

thank you guys for your inputs ..
        Automaton skill level to learn Cure is 12 (lvl 4 PUP).
        -can you tell me whats your guide I think the one i'm using is outdated or something..
        -I hope the prices for the materials are cheap becuz I'm broke right now and have plenty of attachments to acquire
        - my macros are close to yours I was hoping to see more macro tricks like this one [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLiGashZORA"]YouTube - PUP - Curing out of Combat[/ame] altho I need to learn all the possible macros and how to make a good one..

Just as a note on the last thing, I would just as soon seperate each element of the "ADD" trick into it's own macro. Primary reason because of a difference of spellcasting times, lag, and other... problems that may occur. Plus, you don't have to figure out any timings.

Personally, I have my CTRL macros set for each of the maneuvers (/recast "Maneuver"; /ja "Maneuver" <me> for each), Alt1-3 being Deploy, Retrieve and Repair, respectively, each which also have an /echo {command} <pettp> so I know the macro went off (I have issues with my bluetooth keyboard lagging sometimes) and so I know my puppet's TP in an instant, and the rest of my macros are just random things.

Also, if you're going to make a dedicated "ADD" Macro, I suggest a dedicated "DAD" macro -- Deactivate/Activate/Deploy. This one is better suited for situations where the puppet doesn't take hate at all (read: good party or fighting things that don't attack back like Fortifications during Campaign) and also works well as a "my timer is counted down and my puppet needs a refill NOW" macro you'll find applicable during parties when things go wrong. Just remember in that situation the Active timer has to be cooled down completely.
        ummm sorry but I'm very clueless when it comes to macros, I created my first set of macros yesterday , they are simply shortcuts ..
        so I didn't understand what trick you are talking about
        -about the /recast one isn't to show time left? well, mine show the the time without the macro /recast..

- I read that once you equip your attachments you can't replace them or remove them? (I see Remove all option in game ) but is that true? and if I can replace them do I lose the removed attachment?
        I purchased 5 attachment when I got the class yesterday, I was so exited to level the class that I forget to equip them in at the automaton shop
        - does the different frames and heads have separate status or they all share one? (e.g Harlequin magic is 15 if I switched to another frame lets say melee frame, it becomes 0 magic? )
        - is there anyway to tell when I'm going to overload?
        - Attachment abilities which only activate when using the proper maneuver ( like Regen), do they have their own lasting time or they simply wear off (or decreased) when the maneuvers wears off?
        - is there any way to increase the maneuver time? its TOO short ( I don't have any attachment equipped to make a better use for maneuvers and I already complain about it...).

peace..

Comment

Automaton Magic Skill - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

Originally posted by Flanteus View Post
          Questions:
          - if possible, can I make a macro that target the nearest mop (better if only party mob) and makes me start "attack" plus Pet "deploy" ?
          You would to target the mob manually, and I honestly haven't heard anything about using a macro for the "Attack" command.

- I read that once you equip your attachments you can't replace them or remove them? (I see Remove all option in game ) but is that true? and if I can replace them do I lose the removed attachment?
          I purchased 5 attachment when I got the class yesterday, I was so exited to level the class that I forget to equip them in at the automaton shop
          Yes and no. First of all, you do not need to go to the automaton shop every time you want to equip new attachments to your automaton. Attachments are like scrolls, which need to be handed to someone in order to "learn" how to use it. I don't know if you have played Blue Mage, but Puppetmaster works very much the same. After you have "learned" how to use an attachment you can equip it to your automaton. This can be done anywhere, anytime, but only when your automaton is deactivated. While activated you will be unable to switch attachments.

- does the different frames and heads have separate status or they all share one? (e.g Harlequin magic is 15 if I switched to another frame lets say melee frame, it becomes 0 magic? )
          Different frames share the same skills. You can level up melee and magic skill on Harlequin when starting out. If you switch to Stormwaker you will not have to skill up melee and magic again for that frame.

- is there anyway to tell when I'm going to overload?
          There is no visible way for us as players to see the "overload gauge" however through practice you will learn how to have a visual image in your mind of this invisible gauge. For example after you activate or zone the gauge is already up at 100% and will gradually go down over a couple minutes.

- Attachment abilities which only activate when using the proper maneuver ( like Regen), do they have their own lasting time or they simply wear off (or decreased) when the maneuvers wears off?
          Attachments will have a lasting effect until the proper maneuver wears off. The only exception to this are activating attachments such as Shock Absorber (Stoneskin) or Flashbulb (Flash). There is a visual and sound effect for these types of attachments.

- is there any way to increase the maneuver time? its TOO short ( I don't have any attachment equipped to make a better use for maneuvers and I already complain about it...).
          There is no attachment, equipment, or ability that will increase the duration of maneuver effects.
          Last edited by Silent Howler; 03-26-2008, 08:34 PM. Reason: Forgot one question

Comment

thank you Silent thats clear a lot.

Attachments will have a lasting effect until the proper maneuver wears off. The only acception to this are activating attachments such as Shock Absorber (Stoneskin) or Flashbulb (Flash). There is a visual and sound effect for these types of attachments.
            maybe I wasn't clear I meant that these spell has their own timer meaning they can last even after all the maneuver are gone, but thats not the case it seems so all the abilities which have a timer will last until the maneuver is over.. but does the effect decrease if say went from 3 to 2 maneuvers? or the last effect from 3 maneuvers will remain even if I kept "at Least" 1 maneuver up? I'll eventually will reach overload anyway..
            thats why I asked if possible to to increase maneuvers time...

ty again , peace..

Comment

Here I'll give you a link.

http://www.killingifrit.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=139813

That right there is no doubt the best thing I have found for learning attachment information (or even Puppetmaster information in general). Scroll down and you will see a chart under Attachment Specifics. The first one shown is Tension Spring. As you can see it gives a +% to your automaton's attack which increases with the number of Fire Maneuver active. If you have two Fire Maneuvers active your automaton will receive a +15% attack. After one Fire Maneuver wears off the effect will reduce to +10%.

Comment

I have temporarily problem, most sites aren't working, I'll check the links later when it get fixed , ty
                Last edited by Flanteus; 03-26-2008, 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Questions:
                  - if possible, can I make a macro that target the nearest mop (better if only party mob) and makes me start "attack" plus Pet "deploy" ?
                  The following command/macro will target the mob which your party is fighting (the primary target, in which the name on top of the mob is in red color):

/target <bt>

That command won't attack the mob automatically, it just target/focus on the selected mob.

The following command will attack the selected mob:

/a <t>

To deploy the Automation at the mob that your PUP is currently targeting:

/ja Deploy <t>

The parameter <t> means "target" ... <bt> means the party's primary target, <me> means yourself, <p0> is the 1st party member in your party list (which is yourself by default), <p1> is the 2nd party member, start from top to bottom in the party list, etc. For example:

/ja "Fire Maneuver" <me>

Note: /ja means "using Job Ability" ...

This will use Fire Maneuver on yourself.

If there are multiple mobs near you, and you want to pick one using command/macro, you can use <stnpc> instead of <t>. For example:

/ja Deploy <stnpc>

The parameter <stnpc> with prompt your to select a NPC. You can use the Tab key in the keyboard to select/target different NPC near you, and press Enter key to confirm, or Esc key to cancel.

<st> means "select" in general (any selectable target)... <stnpc> means select NPC (non-playable character, such as mobs), <stpc> means select PC (playable character, such as your party members), <lastst> means the last target your previously selected.
                  Last edited by Celeal; 03-28-2008, 07:01 AM.
                  Server: Quetzalcoatl
                  Race: Hume Rank 7
                  75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

great thats exactly what I wanted
                    with these info I made a start attack for me and my puppet :
                    after targeting ..
                    -ja "deploy" <t> ( first strike goes to pet > than me )
                    -wait 2-3 ( 3 or even more is better if you want your pet to build some hate)
                    - a <t>
                    - pet info (the most important info isnt in game yet ..Pet MP ../cry )

I tried to use <stnpc> but I have to confirm the action which is the thing I'm trying to avoid ( too much hassle just to start a fight..)
                    anyway <t> worked great, with "E" as "confirm/target nearest" hotkeyd , in the other hand, I tried to use <bt> without party..it was a bit buggy lol I could start an attack but it give command error for pet Deploy, but If i'm in engaged already it works for my pet... I think I'll just have to make PUP party macros then

I'm trying to figure out one..
                    - I remember there was a key to target party npc..what is it? (still solo leveling so i cant confirm..)
                    - this might be strange..but my pet wasnt cureing even tho his magic skill is higher than 12..until I equiped damage gouge attachment, he started to cure..is this a bug or "working as intend" ?
                    Answer:
                    - Automatons do not necessarily prioritize Cure magic if it can cast other types of magic even if trigger HP condition is fulfilled.
                    from FFXI Forums - PUP 201 : Automaton Equipment & Attachments - Killing Ifrit
                    - can Valor edge cure? if not then why Valor edge "head" has Spell category: Cures ?
                    does that mean i can use frame with mp and valor head to make him only cast cure?

answer: yes
                    - I know some attachment stack like mana tank I & II its a temporally effect, but does "bonuses" attachment stack like Tension spring I & II ? that will give up to 15% base attack bonus...
                    - how can I cancel a Macro before its done?
                    "reading the guides posted here right now"

thanks
                    peace..

Edit:
                    Puppet Master is freaking amazing...I love it
                    Last edited by Flanteus; 03-28-2008, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Well, the automation head controls how it acts, and the body/frame limit what it can do.

The Valor edge frame does not have the ability to perform magic (no MP), so it cannot cure. The interesting point is Valor edge head will use Cure only, only if the body can use magic. For example, Valor edge combine with a mage frame, will gives you a personal Cure slave that stay up front and melee the mob.

- whats the difference between /ja "Deploy" and /pet "Deploy" ? both worked for me..
                      There can be more that one command to execute the same thing. For example,:

/ra <t>

or

/range <t>

will do the same thing (range attack), like

/a <t>

or

/attack <t>

.... I suggest try the command: /?

It will list a user menu of FFXI command in the chat/log window.
                      Server: Quetzalcoatl
                      Race: Hume Rank 7
                      75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Uh quick question while were in the pup questions forum, umm are elvaans good pups?

Comment

While I'm no pup expert, I would say that Elvaan would make great pups. Elvaan are awesome damage dealers and since thats what a puppetmaster is......perfect fit! Though I'd have to say that any race would make a good pup. Remember skill is the most important thing and if you strive to be as skilled as possible, then you will play the job well.
                          Originally posted by Feba
                          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                          Originally posted by DakAttack
                          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

What would be the best sub job for a Puppetmaster?

Comment

Some people would say /DNC to "justify PUP's position in the front line." (You know who you are.) That said, it isn't a bad choice at all.

Others have noted some interesting things from /THF (like SATAWSing an Automaton Tank).

/MNK is justifiable early on when you have no Martial Arts. I'm not so sure about later on, though.

/WAR tends to be the default melee sub, when it isn't /NIN, and some melees also occasionally use /DRG.

/WHM and /SCH may or may not deserve some experimentation, depending on what you want to do with the job.

In response to "what is the best sub," there is seldom a tangible answer. Do what feels right for you, and unless you're trying to ruin it for everybody else, you'll generally be fine.
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                              Matthew 16:15

Comment

Working...
                              X