The new Automaton Weapon skills!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Automaton Weapon skills!

From the look of the pictures released on the main site, it looks like it is a melee weapon skill. For the Puppetmasters around the world who went max magic merits and then saved their merits in other stats just for this situation, we now know we have at least 1 new melee weapon skill.

This weapon skill could be exclusive to the magic using automatons, or to both the Valoredge and magic using Automatons. Hopefully every single automaton will have their own exclusive weapon skill that is powerful enough to change the minds of those nonbelievers of Puppetmaster not being an incredible job.

Puppetmaster seems to be getting a nice boost in this next update. Just a heads up for all the Puppetmasters of Ffxionline!

~Takiri

Edit: What what weapon skills would you all like to see the Automatons learn? Name, effect, and what element skill chain. (An Automaton light making WS would be nice. ^_^)
    Last edited by Guren; 03-06-2008, 08:33 PM.
    Nagasaki - Odin - 75 Puppetmaster

Re: The new Automaton Weapon skills!

As I posted in the other thread, I'm iffy about adding more weaponskills. The elemental priority system for the already existing skills can be cumbersome at times, especially if you want to use a nonstandard maneuver setup for whatever reason. If I could, I'd straight up turn off Accura and Slapstick as there is often no reason to use them. Even when forming skillchains the damage you gain from the chain rarely makes up for the damage you lose off the ws itself.

That issue will likely be even more glaring when using an Inhibitor. Maybe they'll do it right but the cynic in me is saying it'll just make things more messy and unreliable. Imo, they need to install some dip switches so we can disable skills we have no desire to use, the maneuver based system just won't cut it as numbers of skills increase. As it stands, being able to force a higher skill with a specific maneuver is fine but the system will become more complex (have to have multiples? combinations?) as more skills go in just by the nature of the limited possibilities involved.

Here's to hoping that more info comes soon.

Comment

I'm interested in seeing what these new ones are, and regardless if we like them or not, SE isn't going to be taking them away. If it's something we don't like, we'd just have to adapt, as we always do.

Also, a quick note about what you said with the Inhibitor -- I was duoing with a BST a little while ago, and I was set up to do One Inch Punch -> Daze for a very nice SC (Transfixion for 200+). But, since I didn't like Nut firing off a Daze without me, I put on the Inhibitor. After that, he never fired Daze again with the Inhibitor. Instead, he would go One Inch Punch -> Acuballista for a very small amount of damage, both on the WS and the SC.

I'm kinda hoping that there may be a little bit of a fix to that in the coming update, but it's not likely.

And, we'll see what the update all entails tomorrow.
      Kindadarii (Bahamut)
      90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
      70.3 + 2 Woodworking
      52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Weird, I always get Daze off of One Inch. Getting Acura off of it would make me a sad panda.

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfZeal View Post
          I'm interested in seeing what these new ones are, and regardless if we like them or not, SE isn't going to be taking them away. If it's something we don't like, we'd just have to adapt, as we always do.

Also, a quick note about what you said with the Inhibitor -- I was duoing with a BST a little while ago, and I was set up to do One Inch Punch -> Daze for a very nice SC (Transfixion for 200+). But, since I didn't like Nut firing off a Daze without me, I put on the Inhibitor. After that, he never fired Daze again with the Inhibitor. Instead, he would go One Inch Punch -> Acuballista for a very small amount of damage, both on the WS and the SC.

I'm kinda hoping that there may be a little bit of a fix to that in the coming update, but it's not likely.

And, we'll see what the update all entails tomorrow.
          With Inhibitor and Fire maker and Attuner, get 100% TP on automaton, have automaton stop attacking, and then finally, get 100%TP your self. Now heres the best part!

Spinning attack -> 3 Fire Manuevers (Already active) Daze = 700-1.1k damage Daze (On greater Colibri) + a 300-500 Damage Fusion. With fusion, theres a chance you can make light if you have a monk with Dragon Kick for huge damage all together.

It is by far the best puppetmaster + automaton combo out for weapon skill wise.

Just deactivate and activate for hateless automaton, or just ventriloquy.

~Takiri

Hope you find this helpful :D

Comment

Here's a lot of great info from BG forums.

Order of the Blue Gartr • View topic - March 10th Puppetmaster WS testing~

original post by "Jkun"

Feel free to move this topic once the update hype is over. *It's 5:30am and I'm very tired *

Here's some basic testing on the new WSs. Any more info on Skillchain openers/closers, or any Damage increase modifiers are welcome. Speculations too, if you keep on the subject at hand. :D

:nomnomnom: Valoredge Frame (Level 75, 5/5 Melee Merits, full Melee/Acc setup):

As stated before, the new WS "Bone Crusher" is indeed a three-fold attack using both the sword and shield of Valor's frame to perform. Here's some test I ran:

No Maneuvers: Default Bone Crusher (will replace Chimera Ripper and String Clipper, woo!), roughly did 469~500 DMG on Colibri outside Al Zhabi.
            Earth: Forced Chimera Ripper
            Fire: Forced Chimera Ripper
            Lightning: Forced String Clipper
            Light: Forced Bone Crusher
            Darkness: Forced Cannibal Blade

This is a great upgrade from the pansy, low level WSs, but maybe Hammermill or Earth-based items can increase it's damage? As always, Darkness forces Cannibal Blade, in case you need to top up your automaton's HP.

:invader: Sharpshot Frame (Level 75, 0 Ranged Merits, full Melee/RAcc setup including Target Marker):

Sharpshot's new "Armour Piercer" is nothing to lol about this time round.

No Maneuvers: Default Armour Piercer (will replace Arcuballista only if enemy is weak to piercing?), roughly did 1469~1600 DMG on Colibri outside Al Zhabi.
            Wind: Forced Armour Piercer
            Fire: Forced Arcuballista (;________
            Lightning: Forced Daze
            Light: Forced Armour Piercer
            Darkness: Forced Armour Piercer

Wow. This new WS is incredible. The damage, the animation, the screeching sound effect, it's all there. And luckily, some useful maneuvers help force it such as Wind. You'll need this up anyway for a small increase in RAcc, and for Replicator since the automaton miiight pull hate with this one. Lightning forces Daze, as always.

:boaboa: Stormwaker/Soulsoother Frame (Level 75, 5/5 Magic Merits, 5/5 Melee Merits, Melee/Curing solo setup including Target Marker):

The Harlequin/Stormwaker frame has been decked out with a very useless confusing WS called "Magic Mortar". As of now, this WS could potentially be bugged or broken. The WS Damage depends on your Automaton's current HP. (carefully tested using Role Reversal and an MP-less automaton)

No Maneuvers: Default Magic Mortar (will replace Knockout), Did 0 damage on Colibri outside Al Zhabi. full HP.
            Ice: Forced Magic Mortar
            Wind: Forced Knockout
            Fire: Forced Slapstick
            Lightning: Forced Slapstick
            Water: Forced Magic Mortar
            Light: Forced Magic Mortar
            Darkness: Forced Magic Mortar

This is the most useless WS of them all. Unfortunately, it replaces Knockout as the default WS, so if you solo or use Soulsoother in a party, your automaton will NEVER have low HP unless it runs out of MP or you stick a melee head on it for lulz.

- Notes courtesy of Lotan: Even if Mortar hits for 0, if the master uses Dragon Kick after it, you can successfully make a Light Skillchain. Tested and proved true. The extra damage seems to just a little bit better than a solo Howling Fist or Raging Fists, and you get to see the many disco balls while soloing.
            - Thanks to Kurri, Magic Morter is also forced by Water.

Hope this helps clean up a few questions. No new attachments this update, but let's hope they keep bringing us some nice surprises.
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

If you read on other forum, Magic Mortar is the strongest ws out of all of them. I've seen screenshots of it doing almost 4k dmg as well as doing 2500ish to HNMs like Kirin and JoL. I havn't tested it out myself since it requires really low hp to do good dmg.
              Drg 75, Pup 75, War 37, Sam 37, Mnk 37, Rdm 41, Smn 18, whm 37
              Windurst Rank 10, CoP complete, Zilart Complete

Comment

An LS mate of mine is apparently able to do 3700 dmg to Byakko with it.
                sigpic

Comment

Bam!

Comment

Eat that all you "lolPUP" people
                    sigpic

Comment

It's a shame I can't play with that yet... Most estimates have it at around 235 skill, my cap right now is only 220's.
                      Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                      90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                      70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                      52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Can someone post a link of that on Allakhazam on there for me? I really don't feel like making an account on there. This was done when I wasn't at 100% power on my puppetmaster.

This is just one of my minimum hits. I am really tired of lolpup people and crap.

Puppetmaster is a job in FFXI and almost all jobs are balanced enough for them all to be played and invited. They have all their high points. Puppetmaster will not be forgotten again after this.

~Pup

Comment

There will always be an LOL<job>. The SAM bandwagon has been rekindled by the update and lolSAMS now follow in its wake.

If not for its lacking design it will be because the majority of players who pick a given job will opt to play it poorly.

PUP suffers from the same issue DRG was facing for years - Poor design and even more players behind it. PUP is brilliant in the hands of a skilled player and horrible in the hands of a player who's just rushing it to 75. Much like a BST must be dedicated to crafting and melee gear and subjobs to stand out, a PUP must be dedicated to gearing, subjobs and also hunting down the attachments to make the automation really shine.

Comment

With that damage.... I'll take an order of PuppetMaster, hold the lolSam, extra Drg, double Bst and kingsize the Blm.
                            Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                              There will always be an LOL<job>. The SAM bandwagon has been rekindled by the update and lolSAMS now follow in its wake.

If not for its lacking design it will be because the majority of players who pick a given job will opt to play it poorly.

PUP suffers from the same issue DRG was facing for years - Poor design and even more players behind it. PUP is brilliant in the hands of a skilled player and horrible in the hands of a player who's just rushing it to 75. Much like a BST must be dedicated to crafting and melee gear and subjobs to stand out, a PUP must be dedicated to gearing, subjobs and also hunting down the attachments to make the automation really shine.
                              Spoken like a true Puppeteer :D

Comment

Working...
                              X