Next best weapon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next best weapon?

Alright, I'm currently a level 40 PUP/DNC and have been using Lynx Baghnakhs for a while now. Lynx Baghnakhs give +6 DMN and +30 Delay. It's the lowest delay hand-to-hand weapon with the exception of the +0 Delay ones for Monk only. On the new equipment guide on FFXIclopedia it says to use Katars +1 at level 33 which are +9 DMN and +75 Delay. In comparison to Lynx Baghnakhs that's +0.5 DMN for more than +0.5 Delay. I have yet to see anything that surpasses Lynx Baghnakhs. Also, please keep in mind that my main support job of choice is Dancer so low delay is favorable over high damage.

Re: Next best weapon?

Just remember that high damage means not hitting for 0. You need those hits to keep your sambas going, I understand...

Comment

Just remember that high damage means not hitting for 0. You need those hits to keep your sambas going, I understand...
      Not quite. Hitting for 0 is mainly an issue of Attack vs Defense.

The best bet is to do the math yourself. Figure out your DMG and Delay per hand with each weapon and see which yields the highest DMG/sec.

Comment

From my understanding, lower delay means lower TP gain per hit...so you're not actually *gaining* more TP faster by having a lower TP. I would go for the highest Dmg/Best Stat bonus weapon you can get to make every hit count.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

The higher DMG weapon isn't necessarily the best either, if it's too slow. That's why the DMG/second ratio is generally the best indicator.

Comment

If you are going for PUP/DNC, I assume majority of your TP is used on dances and steps, insetad of WS? How about Windurstian Kukri or Federation Kukri (Dagger type weapon)?

Federation Kukri
            [Main] All Races
            DPS: 495 DMG:15 Delay:182
            Accuracy+3 In areas outside own nation's control: Attack+7
            LV 34 WAR THF DRK RNG NIN COR PUP DNC

Windurstian Kukri
            [Main] All Races
            DPS: 447 DMG:14 Delay:188
            Accuracy+3 In areas outside own nation's control: Attack+5
            LV 34 WAR THF DRK RNG NIN COR PUP DNC
            Server: Quetzalcoatl
            Race: Hume Rank 7
            75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Having just run the numbers, and assuming /DNC (i.e. no Martial Arts II from /MNK), and 0 fSTR (for the sake of a quick and straightforward comparison,) the DMG/sec ratings are:

Lynx Baghnakhs: 5.86
              Claws: 5.66
              Claws +1: 5.98
              Katars: 5.7
              Katars +1: 6.06
              (Lv.41) Mythril Claws: 6.18
              (Lv.41) Mythril Claws +1: 6.50

Katars +1 are actually an upgrade, and Mythril Claws most definitely are a step up from both Lynx Baghnakhs and Katars +1 at 41.

The strongest dagger alternatives are:
              Mythril Kukri +1: 4.64
              Federation Kukri: 4.94 (Acc+3)

The Acc+3 is tempting but ultimately the difference in hit rate won't be enough to justify using a weapon that much weaker, even if your goal is to do support rather than all-out DD.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuriko View Post

True, but it is much easier to improve your damage output through gear or food than it is to reduce your attack delay.

Originally posted by Celeal View Post
                If you are going for PUP/DNC, I assume majority of your TP is used on dances and steps, insetad of WS? How about Windurstian Kukri or Federation Kukri (Dagger type weapon)?
                [quote=Celeal;753816]
                Yes that is true. The thing about daggers though is that since I'm using /DNC I will only be able to use one dagger rather than two. With that in mind I'm not sure if they would outperform Lynx Baghnakhs. Might be worth checking out though.

Hmm, I've been trying to figure out the math for TP per hit with each of those weapons Armando did dmg/hit for, but no matter how I try to do the math something doesn't add up right. Lynx Baghnakhs seemed accurate with 6.04 TP/hit, but for Claws I got 1.18 TP/hit, which is obviously wrong. Tried using the same math I used for Lynx Baghnakhs for Claws and that seemed to work until I got to Katars. Can anyone figure out the math? I seem to not be able to.

Comment

You take your base Delay, add the weapon's, chop that in half and run it through the numbers. In the case of NQ Claws you have (400+66)/2 = 233; 5+(233-180)*6.5/270 = 6.27592... -> 6.2 TP per hit.

The TP/second is going to be pretty much the same with all the weapons.

TP truncates at the tenths place by the way.

Comment

I guess I missed the first part where you divide the delay in half. I suppose if that's the case then it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to Mythril Claws +1 after I gain another level.

Comment

Working...
                    X