With a blue mage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With a blue mage

Im looking towards blue mage and puppet master as my two most favored jobs right now. Is there a good way to mix them or are the two just a bad mix? I havnt had a chance to unlock either but i hear the ppuppet masters make terrible subs. Any advice?

Re: With a blue mage

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
    Im looking towards blue mage and puppet master as my two most favored jobs right now. Is there a good way to mix them or are the two just a bad mix? I havnt had a chance to unlock either but i hear the ppuppet masters make terrible subs. Any advice?
    Unlock the jobs first, and play with them for a bit. That would be my advice.

Some observerations:
    - If you are soloing, you're welcomed to use any job combination.
    - PUP's Automaton can heal the PUP well enough, but /BLU's Cocoon can be useful when soloing. However, you'd not have a way to get monsters off of your Automaton if it overcures you.
    - In parties, I don't see BLU/PUP as useful unless your PUP is already Lv.40+ and already have a Soulsoother head (and that you know how to use /PUP properly as a co-healer and that your party needs one). /PUP's extra damage potential rapidly goes down past Lv.10...
    - /BLU likely won't do much for PUP's offensive output, and /WHM would be more versatile for backup healing (and status removal) in party use.

So, PUP/BLU is marginal for solo use, and BLU/PUP solo'ing isn't that helpful past Lv.10 unless you really know what you're doing and have access to the right frame/head/attachments. Neither one is good for party use, though BLU/PUP may be usable when party needs more healing power, again with the right frame//head/attachments. Then again, since BLU has native cure spells, can always just use /WHM to add more healing tools and MP.

So, blah and meh for PUP/BLU and BLU/PUP. If you solo your exp, of course, feel free to use either and have fun.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

PUP makes a good sub for low-level with the Harlequin frame's dual purpose melee/curing ability; Stormwalker is also an excellent support option if you've got it. After a while it falls off in favor of more robust subs, but I've used it a few times with great success on the 1-20 stretch. At higher levels, the puppet's accuracy and support abilities fall off with the increasing level gap and becomes quite useless. BLU makes a good sub for things like RDM and WHM where its unusually mp-efficient curing spells, Cocoon, and tailored attribute boosting can give you a bit of extra versatility, but for anyone without natural White Magic, I consider /BLU to be in the /WHM category and inferior to it.

Comment

I've actually been looking into BLU/PUP with curiousity. It's not the best job combination for party play, but for soloing it might work out. I have yet to test this though. It seems it would be best done with the Stormwaker frame (more specifically, with the Soulsoother head). With that frame your automaton will nearly as much MP as you if you're a hume. (A lvl 75 hume BLU/PUP will have 494 base MP while your automaton will have 454 when subbed.) You can save your MP for offensive spells while your automaton does all the curing, just be careful about hate management. But that isn't too big of an issue for BLU if you start spamming your highest damaging spells. At lvl 75 it is probably quite possible for just about any equally difficult mob to one-shot your automaton, so you will need to hold hate at all times. But at earlier levels this isn't has big of a problem.

PUP/BLU can be nice too but might work as nicely as BLU/PUP. Again, it isn't the best job combination for party play, but for soloing it might work out. /BLU does grant some nice defensive spells as well as the ability to heal if necessary, and you can throw out a Head Butt or Bludgeon to "provoke" the mob via damage output. But keep in mind that your blue magic skill will be cut in half so your spells will not be as potent.
        Last edited by Silent Howler; 12-01-2007, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X