Pup, getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pup, getting started

I've had my eye on Pup for a little while now, and I think it's the next job I want to unlock. I plan on going the Sharpshot -> Stormwaker -> Valoredge route. There is only one thing bugging me about unlocking it, and that's how expensive the job is. One Pup I met said he spent 1 million gil on attachments. I'm still fairly new and don't have that kind of gil. I guess I'm wondering what some of the more important attachments are. And are there even any level restrictions on them? I've seen Automations in Korroloka Tunnel cast Stoneskin and Flash, things that a Whm can't even use yet. If there aren't any level restrictions then it makes me feel a little uneasy about the fact that other Pup's could be more effective simply because they had more money to spend on their Automation. (Not the same as comparing two Whm's since there are level restrictions, and items within the level range can generally be obtained by the average player without too much extra effort.)

But anyway, just wondering about some basic tips for getting started. And if you suggest getting another job higher first so I have more gil to spend and/or can fight the trolls that drop attachments, I admit that would be reasonable. IMO, Pup seems like the least friendly job to new players. Regardless, I still want to at least take it for a spin and see how fun Pup is.

Re: Pup, getting started

I duo with a friend who runs PUP. He's spent more money than I care to admit to....(less than 1M though) He subs thf when we are out. As for other subjobs, I can't say.

It's just my opinion, but I think you should unlock it and give it a shot. If you like it, great!! You'll find a way to make the gil for upgrades. If not, then you will have a basic understanding of how PUP's work, and how you can work with them should you get in a party....

On a related note, you mind find that you really love job "x"....but have to take the occasional break from it and level or farm with job "y" to support it.

Comment

Attachments have no level restrictions. You can use any of them, and by extension your puppet can have any ability they grant, at level 1. Only magics that the puppet learns via harlequin and stormwaker frames are limited by level.

Arguably, the best attachments would be Attuner, Drum Magazine + Scope, Turbo Charger, Target Maker, Stealth Screen, Auto Rep-Kit 1 + 2, and Flashbulb. The others do help, in many cases significantly, and ultimately it's best to have as many as possible to increase the versatility of the puppet.

And, as a general rule of thumb, the more expensive the attachment, the more useful it is. Reactive Shield, Eraser, Economizer, Optic Fiber, Condenser, Drum Magazine, Dynamo, Schurzen, Turbo Charger, and Tranquilizer are all over 40k on Bahamut, reaching up to 450k for the turbo charger.

For more information you can check out this list I put together real quick, which shows the price of each of the 52 attachments on Bahamut. Prices on your server may vary, but I think it would be close, or at least proportional. All said and done, all 52 would cost roughly 3 mil, give or take.
      Kindadarii (Bahamut)
      90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
      70.3 + 2 Woodworking
      52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

I'm up to 12 on mine and, barring the 200-500k attachments, it's not that bad. I don't have everything but I have all of what I want. It's my third job (War to 38 and Monk to 18) and money really isn't an issue. About five nights of harvesting/mining/logging over my warrior's last 20 levels got me well enough money to have my poppet adequately outfitted.

As I'm ignoring anything over 100k, the only attachments I need now are Eraser, Reactive and Drum Magazine. The only one that will do me any good now is Eraser and not even that big of a deal since I'm leveling with a smn/whm. On Seraph, I have about another 250k to get by lv30 to unlock all frames and get the reasonably priced attachments. Looking ahead to what I'll be spending on gear and comparing it to other people, pups seem to be front loaded but come out ahead at the end.

My perspective of cost may be horribly skewed, however. I first played way back at NA release and it seems that the RMT slaughter that's gone on has dropped a zero off of every item. But whatever it is, I could easily spend a few more nights farming and pick up the rest of my gear with no problem. I won't really be able to afford a lot (any?) HQ gear while leveling but first jobs are like that.

Overall, pup's wallet hit doesn't seem too hefty.

Comment

Now I have a question... When people invite Pup are there any attachments they expect them to have? Any chance of me being kicked if I don't have something? Then again, what do people expect from Pup in general?

Comment

Not necessarily. It really does depend on what frame you want to concentrate on, though, and having the attachments that best support the role of that frame.

For example: If you plan on playing the mage frame, a Mana Booster, Damage Guage (with the white mage head especially), mana tanks and/or mana conserver/converters.
            If you want to play the melee frame, then attuner, tension spring(s), among others.
            And, with the ranged frame, scope, drum magazine.

Beyond that, you are expected to be able to hold your own ground and keep yourself and your puppet alive, and contribute enough for the party. And, a lot of times, that does mean having a lot of attachments and staying current on your frames and gear.
            Kindadarii (Bahamut)
            90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
            70.3 + 2 Woodworking
            52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Working...
            X