Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soon to play Pup (new player)

Hello Everyone.

I recently ordered my copy of FF XI and all of the expansions to it from Amazon.co.uk and as I used to play the game when it first came out on the US server I easily searched trough information about what class I would like to play, and quite easily i found that I would like to play as a PUP. The "problem" how ever is that this class wasn't made yet when I played.

So I got some questions of course to the class, but first I think I will list the information I been able to find on this awesome forum

Where to do the quest and at what level :: X
    How your Automaton works and how you get it :: X
    What Sub Class I want to be :: X

That leaves me with these questions, that I hope you will take the time to help me with ^^

How to attach things to the Automaton ::
    How Maneuver works ::
    What kind of gear would a PUP go for ::
    Can you make your own Frames ::

That should be all of them, but it could happen that later on a few more might be added later when i get the game and a new computer
    (hoping to get the game sep the 2 or 3, and i get payed the 31,8 so might get a pc at the same time)

Re: Soon to play Pup (new player)

Have you looked at this yet? http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Puppetmaster

On the bottom of that, there are links to several guides.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I just started PUP, so please take what I say from a grain of salt...

As compare to other frontline jobs, PUP's gear and weapon choice are limited. However, the core function of PUP comes from the puppet's head, frame and attachments.

The puppet (head + frame) is obtained from the NPC in Automation shop in Whitegate. At level 1, you will get the starting head and frame for free. At level 10, 20 or 30, you can obtain additional puppet by trading the NPC with the items he requested. When your puppet is "deactivated" and all attachments are "removed" (unequipped), you can mix your puppet's heads and frames togather (any 1 head + 1 frame combo). The head controls the actions of the puppet, and the frame detemines skill set. Just like your character, the puppet retain its current skill level, regardless on how you mix-match with the head and frame. However, different head+frame combo has different skill cap and stats.

All you need to do is to trade the attachment with the NPC in Automation shop in Whitegate, and she will attach it for you, for free. The same attachment can only attach to your puppet once. For example, if you want to attach a Mana Tank, one and only one Mana Tank can be attached (however, Mana Tank and Mana Tank II are two unique attachments, so you have have both Mana Tank and Mana Tank II attached).

Once the attachment is attached, you cannot detach and sell it: Just like those magic spell, once you used the scroll and learned it, it becomes permanent.

Once the attachment is attached, you have the option to equip/unequip it. Here is rule of equipping attachment:
      -- There is maximum of 16 attachment slots for your puppet to equip.
      -- Each attachment is associated with an element and number of element points. For example, Mana Tank has 2 Dark element points, Mana Tank II has 3 Dark element points, etc.
      -- Each head/frame have restriction of the element point for attachment. For example, the starter head has 0 Dark element points and the starter frame has 3 Dark element points, which means you can have maximum of 3 dark element point available for attachment. Therefore, it is impossible to equip both Mana Tank (2 dark) and Mana Tank II (3 dark) on the starter head/frame at the same time.

This is how Maneuver works:
      -- Each Maneuver affects how your puppet acts, depends on the head/frame combination, attachments and skill level. It is a way to control your puppet. For example, if your puppet has Shock Absorber equipped, an Earth Maneuver will encourage the puppet to use Stoneskin when the puppet is deployed (fighting the mob) and stoneskin timer is up.
      -- You can have maximum of 3 Maneuver active at the same time. The Maneuver is replaced or disappeared in first-in-first-out manner: The 4th Maneuver will overwrite the 1st Maneuver, the 5th Maneuver will overwrite the 2nd Maneuver, and so forth.
      -- Using Maneuver too early or too often will cause your PUP Overloaded, a case which you are not able to use Maneuver for a period of time until Overload wears off. However, the puppet will still perform its default actions.

Once you start playing PUP, everything will be cleared ^^b
      Last edited by Celeal; 08-29-2007, 09:44 AM.
      Server: Quetzalcoatl
      Race: Hume Rank 7
      75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Thanks a lot for the answers Celeal ^^
        It really helped me out with the first few questions, and I will take your word for it being clear when i start to play ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Celeal View Post
          I just started PUP, so please take what I say from a grain of salt...

As compare to other frontline jobs, PUP's gear and weapon choice are limited. However, the core function of PUP comes from the puppet's head, frame and attachments.

The puppet (head + frame) is obtained from the NPC in Automation shop in Whitegate. At level 1, you will get the starting head and frame for free. At level 10, 20 or 30, you can obtain additional puppet by trading the NPC with the items he requested. When your puppet is "deactivated" and all attachments are "removed" (unequipped), you can mix your puppet's heads and frames togather (any 1 head + 1 frame combo). The head controls the actions of the puppet, and the frame detemines skill set. Just like your character, the puppet retail its current skill level, regardless on how you mix-match with the head and frame. However, different head+frame combo has different skill cap and stats.

All you need to do is to trade the attachment with the NPC in Automation shop in Whitegate, and she will attach it for you, for free. The same attachment can only attach to your puppet once. For example, if you want to attach a Mana Tank, one and only one Mana Tank can be attached (however, Mana Tank and Mana Tank II are two unique attachments, so you have have both Mana Tank and Mana Tank II attached).

Once the attachment is attached, you cannot detach and sell it: Just like those magic spell, once you used the scroll and learned it, it becomes permanent.

Once the attachment is attached, you have the option to equip/unequip it. Here is rule of equipping attachment:
          -- There is maximum of 16 attachment slots for your puppet to equip.
          -- Each attachment is associated with an element and number of element points. For example, Mana Tank has 2 Dark element points, Mana Tank II has 3 Dark element points, etc.
          -- Each head/frame have restriction of the element point for attachment. For example, the starter head has 0 Dark element points and the starter frame has 3 Dark element points, which means you can have maximum of 3 dark element point available for attachment. Therefore, it is impossible to equip both Mana Tank (2 dark) and Mana Tank II (3 dark) on the starter head/frame at the same time.

This is how Maneuver works:
          -- Each Maneuver affects how your puppet acts, depends on the head/frame combination, attachments and skill level. It is a way to control your puppet. For example, if your puppet has Shock Absorber equipped, an Earth Maneuver will encourage the puppet to use Stoneskin when the puppet is deployed (fighting the mob) and stoneskin timer is up.
          -- You can have maximum of 3 Maneuver active at the same time. The Maneuver is replaced or disappeared in first-in-first-out manner: The 4th Maneuver will overwrite the 1st Maneuver, the 5th Maneuver will overwrite the 2nd Maneuver, and so forth.
          -- Using Maneuver too early or too often will cause your PUP Overloaded, a case which you are not able to use Maneuver for a period of time until Overload wears off. However, the puppet will still perform its default actions.

Once you start playing PUP, everything will be cleared ^^b

Last time I played PUP my auto would overload with a single light or dark command.... wtf?
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
            Last time I played PUP my auto would overload with a single light or dark command.... wtf?
            If you use Maneuver, let say a few seconds after you Activate your Automation, or a few seconds after you zone to a new area, there is a high chance to Overload.

My guess is S-E tries to prevent PUP from calling out the Auto, use a few maneuvers, then dismiss the Auto, swap the head/frame/attachments, and then call it out again to use other maneuvers.... rinse and repeat. This is very similar to the game mechanic of BLU's spells re-configuration (a minute timer each time the spell list is reset).
            Server: Quetzalcoatl
            Race: Hume Rank 7
            75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

I can usually spam other maneuvers just fine, but light and dark really mess it up here and there.
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
              X