Some questions as a new PUP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions as a new PUP

Well for the longest time Ive tried to find my job. Originally it was gonna be SAM, then MNK, then SMN. I needed to make CP so I used PUP to get my CP. During the time, I found a passion for PUP, and decided to take it up. So far I'm lv 12. Now I have a few questions:

1) How do most PUPs go about making money? I plan on combining fishing, synthing, and farming. Good idea?

2) Whats a good craft for pups? I'll be crafting any parts I can if I can save money.

3) How is PUP in stuff like BCNMs and Assaults, promy's...all those events?

4) Is this a good frame progression? Sharpshot --> Stormwaker --> Valoredge

Re: Some questions as a new PUP

Originally posted by Dwarkyzidez View Post
    Well for the longest time Ive tried to find my job. Originally it was gonna be SAM, then MNK, then SMN. I needed to make CP so I used PUP to get my CP. During the time, I found a passion for PUP, and decided to take it up. So far I'm lv 12. Now I have a few questions:
    It's nice you have a passion for something, try to keep it!

1) How do most PUPs go about making money? I plan on combining fishing, synthing, and farming. Good idea?
    2) Whats a good craft for pups? I'll be crafting any parts I can if I can save money.
    Crafting and Farming is always a good idea, the job you currently have is a little irrelevant, unless you play an expensive first job, you could use Leathercraft, when you're playing Ninja, to make your own Shihei.

3) How is PUP in stuff like BCNMs and Assaults, promy's...all those events?
    Well that's very depending on events, I find Puppetmaster's get treated as respected Damage Dealers.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world.

Comment

As far as a craft that a Puppetmaster would care most about, I would suggest Alchemy, as it is in that craft where most of the attachments for your mech are found. Some Woodworking and Goldsmithing couldn't hurt, either (as some attachments require those as well, IIRC). Other than that, it's up to you.

Comment

4) Is this a good frame progression? Sharpshot --> Stormwaker --> Valoredge

Yes, thats the best route IMO. The reasoning is that only the sharpshot frame can do ranged attacks, and all frames can melee, so its perfectly fine to leave the melee frame til the end.
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Barbar

Jobs: 75brd/37whm/37blm/46pup
        Crafts: Cooking 60/Bonecrafting 34

"...you spooony Bard!"
        "The lolPUP just outparsed me...he must be hacking.."

Comment

I'd imagine a PUP would be pretty good a wiping out EP's for drops and Beastmen/Kindred Seals. The job seems well suited for farming without downtime. As for making use of all those seals, I'm not sure what BCNM or KSNM it would excel in.
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I have no problem soloing Evens as a 36 PUP thanks to my mage frame and CureIIIs. You can have unlimited MP on your puppet as long as it does get damaged, by just deactivating and activating it.

I guess I haven't posted enough to allow me to put URLs in, but if you look up elmer the pointy on youtube, he has a video of PUPs and which BCNMs they are suited for.
            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Barbar

Jobs: 75brd/37whm/37blm/46pup
            Crafts: Cooking 60/Bonecrafting 34

"...you spooony Bard!"
            "The lolPUP just outparsed me...he must be hacking.."

Comment

If your character's jobs are updated right, the 30 RDM you have could be useful for BCNMs as well. RDM seems to be highly useful for many of the 20-30 BCNMs (Petrifying Pair for the Leaping Boots drop seems popular w/some friends. I'm not sure what the drop rate on those though, if the gil/seal ratio makes up for it)

Nothing says you can BCNM w/other jobs to support your main!

Comment

pup is very versitile.

The best part of pup i've experienced so far was that i was able to solo the rank 2-3 black dragon as a naked galka lvl 25 pup/whm. it was a blast lol.

Alchemy would be the craft of choice if you want to make your own frames. most of the items come from alchies...

Fishin+craftin is a great combo...fishing can be if your fish sell on the AH. I usually target a fish i can reel in and NPC stacks of them. at my lvl i can reel in Gold carp and lobsters which NPC nicely and ogre eels which i AH or sell directly to alchies who are skillin up making poison dust.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
                  Well that's very depending on events, I find Puppetmaster's get treated as respected Damage Dealers.
                  Not true at all. They're treated just like Dragoons.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
                    I find Puppetmaster's get treated as respected Damage Dealers.
                    By whom?

Seriously, it took a parser to convince me PUP is a great DD, and I thought I was a pretty opened minded person. Many people see the bad damage a PUP does, forget about the Automaton all together, then go "lolpup" x 10,000 times.
                    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                      Seriously, it took a parser to convince me PUP is a great DD, and I thought I was a pretty opened minded person.
                      So true.
                      Parser proved it to me.
                      PUP with RNG type pet is a great DD.
                      I started PUP, it's lv28 now, and my RNG type pet does more damage than myself ^^
                      I've PTed with PUP in 60's, but not 75 ones.
                      I want to see how strong PUP75 with RNG pet is..., so curious...

Comment

you could use Leathercraft, when you're playing Ninja, to make your own Shihei.
                        That's woodworking, not leather.

I'd second alchemy, for making your own meds for yourself and your pup.
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                        X