Frustration with puppet's spell cast frequency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustration with puppet's spell cast frequency

So I have played PUP to 21, not high at all. Been using the mage frame since level 10 though. My main beef is even with attachments, the time between spells are still 23 seconds. This really isn't a problem when I was soloing (most of my 20 levels), but I started to party at level 20 and it's just frustrating to rely on the puppet to debuff because it takes so long to go through the debuff cycle. In the xp party, often time, at the most two debuffs would be landed before the mob reaches half health, and the puppet would start nuking. If a player actually does the debuff, he/she can land all major debuffs within first 10-20 seconds of the fight.

Of course one can argue that the puppet is just a supplement to a real debuffer, but if the job's meant to be able to fill in gaps with different configurations, then IMO we should at least be able to fill in the role of a debuffer with mage pet adequately.

I also tried tanking for the party, but unfortunately even though I was voking and doing decent damage myself (and overall very good damage with the puppet), I wasn't able to hold hate from other spike damagers.

I was first very attracted to the PUP job because of customizability, but from what I can tell so far, DD is really the only role that a PUP can excel in. I was hoping that similar to BLU, depending on how we configure the puppet, we can fill in most gaps adequately.

I still have a blast playing solo or duo with PUP though as I can control the flow of the battle much better and squeeze most juice out of my puppets. In party, it's a little meh for me right now

Thoughts?

Re: Frustration with puppet's spell cast frequency

Pup can fill in almost any role but I think your a little low to be able to fill all spots. If you don't want stormwalker debuffing, light maneuver + dark maneuver + water maneuver will force it to cast nukes only. For a pup to tank it requires enmity items like that ring and dorado sushi or whatever gives you +enmity. No one knows what's SEs intention for pup. At later levels mabye 40s we can tank, backup-heal, dd, etc.
    Drg 75, Pup 75, War 37, Sam 37, Mnk 37, Rdm 41, Smn 18, whm 37
    Windurst Rank 10, CoP complete, Zilart Complete

Comment

Thanks for the response Tule. With access to enmity gear later on I can certainly see holding hate better. However, with the current spell casting speed, I really don't see how stormwalker can replace a debuffer (again, maybe it's not meant to).

It is certainly true that the direction for PUP is still unclear. I am going to use it for solo/duo only for now and we will see what lies ahead

Comment

The Spell casters frame is rather slow at spells. What I do is be upfront with a group if they haven't had a puppetmaster first. I personally use the mage frame for straight nuke since it's slow spell time almost never aggros. It is very useful in groups as you become a person who can deal both physical and spell based damage.

Comment

The Spell casters frame is rather slow at spells. What I do is be upfront with a group if they haven't had a puppetmaster first. I personally use the mage frame for straight nuke since it's slow spell time almost never aggros. It is very useful in groups as you become a person who can deal both physical and spell based damage.

Comment

Try putting mana booster on as well as loudspeaker 1 and 2. Then just to out and ice maneuver, then deploy. as long as ice maneuver is up with those attachments before you deploy, then stormwaker should nuke only. and it should be faster than 23 seconds fer sure.

Comment

Working...
            X