Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PUP: Pros and Cons

I'll get right to the point.

What do you like about PUP, and what do you think it does well?
    What do you dislike about PUP, and feel it could use some improvement in?

Pros:
    * Good soloability
    * With the right attachments and maneuvers, there can be no downtime
    * Damage output is fairly good at lower levels
    * Versatility

Cons:
    * In higher levels, damage output lessens
    * Puppet can be VERY fragile later on
    * The Puppetmaster itself is somewhat weak

Your thoughts?

Re: PUP: Pros and Cons

Exactly the same as you.

If only you could have more attachments to focus on, say, evasion or attack, your puppet could have a reason to be in a pt...
    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out what the PUP's role is, based on its abilities.
      There will be cake.

Comment

I think the PUP is just an extra DD, but, when subbed a mage job, can do decent back up heals, decent back up nukes, and decent debuffs to the mob. It's an all around job imo
        Ramuh Server
        Linkshell=TDC,BlueRogues,BloodKnights.
        Samurai all the way.

Comment

Pros:
          The puppet can be build to support all kinds of jobs
          Puppet can tank with stoneskin at early LVs
          Good solo play early on

Cons:
          Pretty exspensive to start
          C+ as best weapon skill level making it hard to hit later on

The job is very strong at the early LVs, even with the first frame you can move through mobs with no problems and you won't have to rest because of regen and refresh moves.
          However, the C+ in weapon skill LV can make it hard to hit mobs in later parties when fighting IT mobs and the puppet's melee skill LV is also a C+.
          One Windurst to rule them all
          One Windurst to conquer the others
          One Windurst to find the others
          And in mithraness bind them

Comment

We are currently in SPT with our PUP friend (Vivid on Hades). So far what we've seen:

With the right gear, PUP can do amazing H2H damage. We have NIN tank and also another MNK in the spt as DDs. The PUP can steal hate from both MNK and NIN, this includes the maton as well. In 'tank' mode the maton can provoke away from the NIN. This is not to say the NIN is no good (he's amazing!), just to add that with the right kind of play style, PUP can be a huge DD.

Majority of the time, our PUP uses mage and ranged mode. For the mage: Maton debuffs... land... very very very very consistently. She has her maton skilled up to the maximum for every level. She's very careful not to let the maton lag behind in skills. For the ranged, Arcuballista can for quite a lot. I'll try to get more detailed information posted here or maybe I can talk her into parsing XDD

Ahh she just pointed out that ours may be different since we have BRD in the spt which "offsets a lot of bad things about puppet melee skill". (Quoting from her ^^) /goes back to trying to talk Vivid to post!
            Last edited by sdillon; 05-09-2006, 10:23 AM.
            ~Aquelia
            TaruPrime Powah!
            Chocobo Raising Diary: http://aquelia.waltzforariah.com

Comment

i dont see why evry1 hates pup, i prefer to use the war frame, mage pup only casts like paralyze and stuff, but its skill isnt capped so i cant complain, (at 20 i switched to way frame), ranger pup i seen in quifim soloing at level 40, the pup wa sdoing all teh work, i havent use mine mcuh, it skill is like 70 levels below cap because i got it last

im level 31 pup close to 32, i was just hunting spook and crypt ghost got 3 drops off spook and 0 of like 15 on Crypt ghost, 2 drops are to pay my debt of 228k from where i ran out of money hwile trying to get frame upgrades, the otehr 1 is for a cestus belt, and i might have enough left for a wrestlers mantle, but not for sure how much it goes for

Comment

I've only partied with two PUPs, and both were in the Dunes. The first one...their damage was alright, but the person themself wasn't wearing any gear... The second one saved our asses. As we started to fight a Goblin, our WHM aggro'd a second...which the automaton fought. When we finished the first Gob, a third came out of nowhere, and we fought that...then the PUP 2-houred...in conclusion, we were fine. Three VTs in a row was nice, but dangerous...the point being, I didn't die and still got good EXP. <.<
                It ain't easy being white~
                It ain't easy being brown~
                All this pressure to be bright~
                I've got children all over town!
                (~ Gob Bluth & Franklin)

Fiat Justitia; Ruat Coelum

Comment

PUP is a DD, pure and simple, getting PUP to backup cure is like asking a WAR to sub WHM and backup heal, it sucks.

With the right frame, attachments, gear and Manuvers I've outdamaged everyone I've PT'd with bar some rare PTs when you get WAR and MNKs with good equipment. Most PUPs are lazy, they don't deploy right away and leave manuvers lingering too long and don't level up their skills.

As for frames, Ranged and Magic are the best DD frames once you level up their respective skills, Melee frame is all kinds of weak. When your Magic frame learns Water II they pain comes ('cept if you're fighting flies lol), keeping the right manuvers will make it nuke 90% of the time, in situations magic isn't good you used the Ranger frame and Retrieve it before SCs.

Being a PUP isn't hard, just wear whatever ACC/STR/ATK gear you can with the best H2H and you'll own.

Comment

Working...
                  X