Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abyssea New Gear Guide?

Is Perle the best gear for PLD?

Has someone done a composition of all the new gear that the new content contains?

Tired of the "Fifty Questions" routine?

Re: Abyssea New Gear Guide?

Originally posted by Mageta View Post
    Is Perle the best gear for PLD?
    Somebody like Armando could answer this question better than I could. It's not likely to be the absolute best, but it's still a pretty darn decent TP set as it is.

Has someone done a composition of all the new gear that the new content contains?
    2010 - (06/21/2010) The Version Update Has Arrived!/Details - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

If you're looking for Abyssea specifically, well, the wiki is right there.

Tired of the "Fifty Questions" routine?
    I really hope that this isn't the third question out of fifty. Because if it is, then surely you could have chosen a better third question.
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

There are better individual pieces then the three new sets, but many, if not most of them are much harder to obtain. You then also have to weigh loosing the set bonus if you choose to use some of those other pieces, the set bonus might be overshadowed by other stats on other pieces or it may not be.

The only really easy thing to say is that (explicitly about Perle) if PLD is your highest job and it pretty much just got there (i.e. you hadn't been 75 for a long time and done lots of endgame activities) then the Perle set does seem like a very good choice for you.

Properly, you would have to compare it to what you have now but if you don't have access to gobs of other endgame gear, the decision shouldn't be that hard.
      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Thanks for the info, I have played off and on since NA release but I still struggle to really apply myself to get max level. I'm still at level 60 PLD as main and I still try to find a reason to level other classes. I'm not in an endgame LS so should I get to 78 I will get a full set of Perle armor.

Has there been any DPS math done on possible new weapons for PLD?

I'm trying to set goals for myself so I keep leveling. I would like good gear but like I said I don't do endgame atm and I probably won't have the time to do it. So I want to find good gear that doesn't need to be allianced to achieve.

Comment

I'm still at level 60 PLD as main and I still try to find a reason to level other classes. I'm not in an endgame LS so should I get to 78 I will get a full set of Perle armor.

[...] I would like good gear but like I said I don't do endgame atm and I probably won't have the time to do it. So I want to find good gear that doesn't need to be allianced to achieve.
          The Perle set is great for those who don't have Homam legs/feet/hands, but both sets are pretty far away from Level 60. This thread had some (heated) debate over how to gear PLD: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/pal...ellow-pld.html The short version: More posters think PLDs should be in DD gear most if not all the time. A few others strongly disagree.

My personal take is that the primary reason PLD is in an exp party instead of another DD is for MP management; we amplify the MP resource (40 MP to cast an extra Refresh, but we get 150 MP out of it) for curing, while outputting some amount of damage and taking less damage per hit than the DDs.

i.e. if the PLD takes so much damage that it's causing down time, the PLD and/or the party is doing it wrong. (If the other front line members take so much damage that it's causing down time, the PLD and/or the party is also doing it wrong.)
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Let's compare:

Standard Decently geared Endgame PLD before Abyssea:

/NIN, as shadow spam is to useful

-Sword (Situational)
            -Sub (shield situational, grip if using staff, again, situational)
            -Ranged/ammo (i use lamia kaman +1, but your other options are amuonrie (sp) +1 enmity, goblin cracker, rosenbogen,
            -bibiki, etc, again situational)
            -Wal-mart (5% -haste with 30 mp/hp is better than anything else you can use here, no questions)
            -Ancient torque(or Pcc, or anything with Acc)
            -Suppanomimi(+5 sword skill yesplease)
            -Brutal Earring (yeah)
            -Body...(Situational, but if your broke, Haubergeon>Hauby+1>avalon breastplate>aere's (salvage gear, can't spell), etc. to many pieces to list, valhala comes to mind)
            -Homam (dusk if no red gloves)
            -Toreadors/Rajas (situatonal again, but this combo is tough to beat)
            -Cerb(+1) (again situatonal, possibly Cuch, but I like the 6 def, str and attack, along with enmity)
            -any haste belt, there is no excuse to not have a swift belt at this time.
            -Homam legs (koenig works great and i think is easy to get (realitve))
            -Homam feet (dusk if no red boots)

so basically
            Head: 5% haste, 30HP/30MP
            body: Avalon> 13Acc, -5mdt, +3 Enmity, +7-Vit,Chr,Mnd?
            hands: 3% haste, 3acc, 3enmity, 20hp/20mp
            legs: 3%haste, 3acc, some hp/mp, fastcast
            feet: 3%haste, 6acc, 30hp/mp

14% haste, around 100 hp/mp, around 15acc

vs. Perle set, which is 14% haste (the head is incorrectly labebeld, should be 3%)
            but the big thing in my opinion is the crazy difference in DEF that your getting with full perle vs. 3/homam, random body, wal-mart head. I personally have taken to using 5/5 perle for my "standard" tp set, when engaged etc. But I am a blink machine on pld, to the point that the whm/rdm /rage when I'm in the hole.

I have 4 different sets for the following conditions : Idle, Engaged, Kiting; followed by individual sets that that account for the following instanced moments : Enmity (any hate building action), Self Cure, Party Member cure, Fast cast, Shield Skill, Resting.

So if i'm cure III in myself, I start the spell in fast cast/full haste gear, mid way through I change to my self cure set (currently increases my base HP by 225) and then right when the spell finishes I put on either my idle gear, or engaged gear depending on if i'm engaged or idle. The "Self cure set" is basically full enmity gear with 4-5 pieces swapped out for MAX HP pieces (bqring,gigant mantle,cassie,avengers, etc) So each spell is 3 gear swaps, or 2 and then 1 more to get back to "idle"

Utsusemi is worse lol, because for Ni, it starts on Fastcast and that's it, but then Ichi, starts on haste/fastcast, and 30-40% into the spell it swaps on all my shield/spellinteruptiondown gear to attempt to proc a shield block or just not get interupted. Then after it complete's it's back to Idle / engaged gear.

I am a fiend for being in the right gear for the right action. /shrug

Comment

Depending on the mob, Ethereal Earring tends to be better than Suppa IMO. 5 Skill is nice, but compared to +15 HP, 5 attack & eva and 3% DMG > MP conversion? No contest.

You're right in that Perle has a massive defense increase, but I maintain that older gear is still better (though harder to obtain as Mhurron pointed out).

Homam Gloves are king, no contest as are the legs IMO (enmity, haste, fast cast HP/MP etc... too good)

Honestly, the big thing Perle has going for it is it's cheap & easy to obtain and provides a good chunk of haste when wearing the full set. But we're likely going to get level 90 next month so it's about to become irrelevant I'd say, especially if we start seeing AF3.
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                But we're likely going to get level 90 next month so it's about to become irrelevant I'd say, especially if we start seeing AF3.
                Yes, because AF1 was so awesome for every job and Relic is so easy to obtain. Perle's usefulness, especially for someone just getting to the 75+ levels, isn't going anywhere.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Looking at some of the AF and relic gear the newer jobs have gotten, I don't think AF3 will be all that bad. It will still have some WTF pieces, as all sets do, but I'm sure some parts will be worth it.

And Relic will be much easier to get (along with everything else) once caps go up to 90. But of course, the new gear will end up being much better, so that just means you'll still be behind in gear progression.
                  "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Why does everybody assume the next new level cap will be 90? I still have a feeling that it's going to be 88 . . .
                    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                      Why does everybody assume the next new level cap will be 90? I still have a feeling that it's going to be 88 . . .
                      I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact the previous level caps have all been multiples of 5.

Oh, and Ahriman wouldn't be as annoying.

Comment

Well, ya see, neither of those exactly stopped S-E from planning for the level cap to eventually be at 99 . . .
                        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                          Yes, because AF1 was so awesome for every job and Relic is so easy to obtain. Perle's usefulness, especially for someone just getting to the 75+ levels, isn't going anywhere.
                          As BBQ pointed out once before, look at AF post CoP - SE has gotten a lot smarter about it. I'm willing to bet that this time AF3 will have set bonuses and will be damn good.
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Set Bonus: VIT+25 MND+25 MP+50 Enhances "Holy Circle" (duration +5)
                            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                              Well, ya see, neither of those exactly stopped S-E from planning for the level cap to eventually be at 99 . . .
                              It would have been 100 but PS2 limitations.

Comment

Working...
                              X